The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
possybending
VIP

Title: Inspecteur

Character sheet
Name: Possy
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Seriously, nothing can sacrafice momentum, shape, direction and an image that a song can paint more than that of bands going into breakdowns for the sake of a breakdown, which is the majority of what's done today.

Hearing songs from Bring me the Horizon's Suicide Season is a great example of what I'm talking about. The songs for the most part are a good (be it generic, but not bad in anyway) mix of Gothenburg and Emo that's actually pretty fun to listen to as a fan of New Mnemic, but then the bridge comes, and the momentum and direction of the music is thrown away just to set-up for the breakdown. The build-up to the breakdown makes little sense to the rest of the piece and really just gets in the way, and the breakdowns are the most generic sounding stuff I'd expect to hear from other bands.

Well, ok, I've been forced to stomach breakdowns before, I guess I can take this. Well, I was sure wrong, because at the end of the breakdown, the bands starts to re-pick up speed, and then throws that away to enter into a SECOND BREAKDOWN with little build this time and is even more out of place than the first breakdown. What the hell is the purpose of a second breakdown? It was pretty obvious that you entered the first one just to have one, why have a second? What's the purpose? Now you've killed the momentum so much that even if you're able to regain speed and direction (which most of the songs fumble doing), it'll be in vain because you've ruined the original momentum and are now expecting me to think it's back up in time for the last melody, which it never does.

I know I'm just listing one band, but many bands are like this (most just have the decency to avoid putting in a second breakdown). Adding in breakdowns to cover-up the fact that you can't write a good bridge to save your life, or adding them just to say you have them so you can have hardcore moments live, even if it ruins the flow of the piece. I've experienced breakdowns live, and it was one of the most crowd-killing experiences I've ever faced. Sure, the hardcore kids loved it, but you could hear a grown out of most of the audience. In fact, people left the stage at the Florida Death Fest when one of the indoor bands started a breakdown.

BmtH does redeem themselves a bit in Chelsea Smile by faking a breakdown but then just running back into the melody, and low and behold, they were able to keep the momentum going and make an interesting line there. Some bands can do breakdowns by knowing how to lead into them (Protest the Hero, Aborted) or making sure to at the start of the bridge start a completely different song that you give time to build itself (Korn). Yet, otherwise, the vast majority of Breakdowns are horrible music-killers that do nothing but destroy songs.

Last edited by possybending on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : GET DOWN THERE AND SUCK MY BUDDYS COCK!)
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title: frumpletoots jizzleteats

PostSubject: Re: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:38 pm

On Broken Wings do breakdowns pretty well. The opening track of Some of Us May Never See the World is the perfect example. They go into this breakdown but it's really slow-tempoed, and they increase their speed until the end of the track. It's pretty boss-tits. And just before the breakdown, there's this little ambient type thing going on for a couple seconds.

But yes, I hate breakdowns, and I hate most metalcore. Breakdowns are sofa-king-we-todd-did.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:26 pm

There's one breakdown in particular that I think is cool, and it's in Master's Does One Feel Pain. Seriously, it's awesome. Aside from that though, I'm not a huge fan of breakdowns.
Back to top Go down
possybending
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:01 pm

I'm not saying all are bad, I listed some exceptions, but they're still, overall they're a bad thing for songs.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:22 pm

We should do anyway with song structures... all songs should only consist of breakdowns.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:08 am

Zach, do you like breakdowns?
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:12 am

Yes, I think they're great.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:39 am

That's cool ^_^
Back to top Go down
possybending
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:30 pm

A song of only breakdowns would ruin my life and cause me to give up metal entirely!

Sadly, there are breakdowns in other genres. Even Marching Bands aren't safe, a version of Breakdowns are the biggest thing for Marching Bands to over-use to have "big numbers". It, just like breakdowns in metal, ruined songs because the bands used a generic build-up that doesn't work and make the breakdown so cliche and uninspiring.

They're fine if built up to, sadly these days being built up to efficiently is the exception to the rule.
Back to top Go down
Bolt_Thrower

Title: filthy

PostSubject: Re: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:33 am

HOWEVER, Alan Parsons PRoject's Breakdown is an awesome song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJBTOC3Mfpk
Back to top Go down
http://www.originalgeek.net
Bolt_Thrower

Title: filthy

PostSubject: Re: Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.   Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:35 am

So is Tom Petty's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbG6M28UkFg
Back to top Go down
http://www.originalgeek.net

Breakdowns are the cancer that's killing music.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Dark Academy ::  :: -