Surrender To All Life Beyond Form
HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

One of my new favorite movies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Abnormal Freak

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: One of my new favorite movies   Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:15 pm

A short film by one of my favorite directors, Shinya Tsukamoto, titled Denchu Kozo no boken (or as the subtitles said, The Story of the Electricity Pole Boy). It's far-out and weird. If you've got 45 minutes to spare, it's all up on YouTube in five parts:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

This film really amazes me. If you watch it, I hope you're tolerant towards poor quality. Not only is it a compressed YouTube video, but it's also from a low-quality source. The film was shot on Super 8, and since RaroVideo appears to be really good at making high-quality DVD transfers (this YouTube video is ripped from that DVD, which I own), I'll have to assume that the poor audio and video quality is due to the original film sources, whether that's how the movie was when it was new or if the materials are in bad shape.

Well, I hope someone watches it, and lets me know what they think. If you enjoy this, be sure to check out Tsukamoto's first full-length movie, Tetsuo: The Iron Man, which thankfully got a good US Region 1 DVD release by Tartan. Denchu Kozo is like the stylistic precursor to Tetsuo. (There's also the director's first short film, The Phantom of Regular Size, also on YouTube, which story-wise is the prototype to Tetsuo, but it's also poorly-made and not that interesting, but worth spending 20 minutes to check out anyway.)

Also, I wish there were soundtrack CDs for this guy's early movies. There needs to be like a two- or three-disc album which covers Denchu Kozo no boken, the two Tetsuo films, and Tokyo Fist. That would make me so happy.
Back to top Go down

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: One of my new favorite movies   Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:37 am

I really need to watch some asian films. Despite my immense prejudice that i hold towards asians i do enjoy their films.
Back to top Go down
One of my new favorite movies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1