Rate the last movie you watched

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
NightTimeMirror

Title : you know what time it is

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Starship Troopers - 9/10

one of my favorite action flicks, so underrated. a lot smarter than people give it credit for, absolutely packed with symbolism and social commentary.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Starship Troopers is one of my favorite movies. Have you seen the third? It was pretty good. Not close to touching the original, but definitely better than the second.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
NightTimeMirror

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:59 pm

I watched part of the second and it was uber-lulzy. If you say the third is decent I'll definitely check it out.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Casper Van Dien is back as Johnny Rico. Most of the movie is based around religion this time around, but it seems to be making fun of it. I wonder if Casper got that. Or may they intended it to be pro-religion but it just comes off as anti-religious.

OH ya, and they're actually fighting bugs again. I don't know what was up with the second one.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:38 pm

Casper Van Dien is such a bad actor, it's so funny.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:57 pm

He's awesome. In Starship Troopers anyway. He fits.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - 9/10

Pretty cool.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
NightTimeMirror

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:27 am

yeah I thought he played the role fine, and since I cant think of one other movie he's been in, Casper Van Dien is a good actor in my universe lol

NPH and Gary Busey's kid were hella win too

*ventures to wikipedia* oh snap I totally forgot he was in Sleepy Hollow. I havent watched that in forever, but it holds the distinction of being the only Tim Burton film I really liked. Well, that and Ed Wood. Should watch again soon.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:34 am

Sleepy Hollow's good, but it's far from one of his finest moments. You're a damn fool if you don't get all boned up over Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetle Juice, and Big Fish. A DAMN FOOL
Back to top Go down
NightTimeMirror

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:36 am

I just dont jive with his style. Its too...stylish.

and wow, I had no idea he did Mars Attacks! put that one in the "like" category.

Last edited by NightTimeMirror on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:41 am

That's a complaint I have for plenty of others, but not for him. It's not like I'm the biggest fan of his style, and really, my complaint I would have about him is more to do with how I'm not fond of how he laces every film he makes with that same style. That's the main thing that sometimes gets me about him. But sometimes it works really well, and often there's plenty of substance driving behind it. So I digs him, overall at least.

[edit]: I like Mars Attacks! a-good-n-plenty, but you pick weird ones for favorites of his.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:46 am

I can't stand Burton. Style over substance, and the style generally bores me. I love Pee-wee's Big Adventure, though. One of the finest movies ever made. I always wanna wring the necks of people who think Nightmare Before Christmas is a Burton film. He wasn't even present once during shooting, too busy working on shitty, lifeless projectsóand thank God for that, 'cos then we wouldn't have a great classic if he had handled it.
Back to top Go down
NightTimeMirror

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:50 am

I think I came off a little too negative. I dislike very little of what he's done. He's obviously a very talented, creative filmmaker, and I can sit through pretty much any of his flicks and not get bored. Big Fish was probably the only one that just got a big face_plain from me. I just dont worship at the altar of Burton like so many pretentious film buffs.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:53 am

lol I think Nightmare is overrated to shit. It's ok, but not that deserving of cult/classic status.

Style over substance? Sometimes. But usually not, and like I said, the style and substance are both great and work together very well on most occasions. Edward Scissorhands is an absolute masterpiece. And I love Big Fish too.

And he's usually not a real favorite of critics/buffs, actually, especially not the pretentious ones (really though, if that's your profession or how you describe yourself, how could you not be pretentious? lol). Unless they're pretentious and faux-intellectual. I think that's what I am though so that's probably why I like him so often lol.
Back to top Go down
NightTimeMirror

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 am

You're just pretentious and dumb

But you introduced me to Giant Squid when I was a youngling so I will love you forever
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:07 am

NightTimeMirror wrote:
You're just pretentious and dumb

But you introduced me to Giant Squid when I was a youngling so I will love you forever
I called myself pretentious and faux-intellectual, pretty sure that's the same thing dood.

and I wish Giant Squid were still good lol.

That may be a bit harsh. I guess they're still good, but I'm just too in love with their self-released version of Metridium Field to think too highly of the other stuff they've done.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:11 am

The Icthyologist is a fantastic album.
Back to top Go down
NightTimeMirror

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:13 am

I have the same problem. Metridium Fields is so good I barely liked The Ichthyologist at all...but Metridium is so wtf-good I still consider them one of my favorite bands on the merit of that record alone.

Also I've only ever heard the End version. Is there any difference other than production?

Also also, faux-intellectual does not equal dumb. I dont really think you're either though so whatevs.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 am

I don't understand drawing a comparisson between the two albums. They're both so radically different I don't see how liking one is having a negative effect on the other.
Back to top Go down
NightTimeMirror

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:19 am

Because I was completely biased by the awesomeness of the first album.

Actually its been so long since I listened to either record that I probably ought to give Ichthy another listen. I just remember finding every song rather forgettable and being really let down in general.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:43 am

NightTimeMirror wrote:
I have the same problem. Metridium Fields is so good I barely liked The Ichthyologist at all...but Metridium is so wtf-good I still consider them one of my favorite bands on the merit of that record alone.

Also I've only ever heard the End version. Is there any difference other than production?

Also also, faux-intellectual does not equal dumb. I dont really think you're either though so whatevs.
I'm the same way, but even more extreme, because the The End version of Metridium Field(s) is a let down to me, and then The Itchy Oncologist even more so.

And yeah, huge difference. The self-released one is sludgier, dirtier and doomy-er. It came out in 2004, so was the first "post-metal" band I really heard (yes even before Neurosis/ISIS), and kind of a precursor to the rise of bands like Mouth of the Architect and Rosetta, both Translation Loss signees. I thought it funny that Giant Squid signed to them later on, when they became more interested in experimentation than merely just crushing your skull, like they did so often at four-dollar live shows at coffee shops when I was 18.

You can probably find the original version online somewhere, though I'm sure some difficulty could arise from a search since the name's the same aside from Field/Fields, and I'd bet both could be mislabeled. If you want I could upload it.
Back to top Go down
NightTimeMirror

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:53 am

fuck my tits, seeing them in a fucking coffee shop would be hypersex. they need to get the old girl back, i know her and aaron were married and then divorced and there's probably a lot of butthurt involved but they made some fucking awesome music dammit.

an upload would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:17 am

no doubt. expect a thread in the music board soon, sometime tomorrow at the latest.

and yeah, she actually did the majority of the harsh vocals on the first album, which is surprising and impressive all at the same time. So god damn sexy.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:27 am

Back to film (and not this ultra-gay stuff):

I'm not sure what it is about Burton's style, but it just rubs me the wrong way. He tries to be all dark and gothic but it looks too sleek; it's like the Barbie version of gothic art or something. The production design in Pee-wee works so well because it's more grounded in reality with some oddity; all his films after that are too "out there," with the exception of maybe Edward Scissorhands. Well, and his Batman films look cool (the first more so than Returns), but the substance of those two films is such shite it's difficult for me to enjoy them beyond how they look.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:39 am

Edward Scissorhands is perhaps where it works best. The comentary about the blandness and cookie cutter style of the suburbs and "normal life" with the dirty and hollow undertone is where the sleek but dark and gothic blend makes the most sense, with Beetle Juice being next in line.

The first Burton Batman is the best Batman movie in every conceivable way, and Keaton is by far the best batman ever. UR DUM
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:30 am

Pfft, ur gey. Yer not even a comics fanóbut even just trying to look past being a Batman fan and how much the two Burton movies fuck up the character (especially the secondóboy, is that movie a travesty), I still can't enjoy them too much. Nolan's flicks are better by a bajillion megamiles, even though they too fuck up the character in a number of ways.

Besides, the best Batman movie is easily Mask of the Phantasm, fag.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Today at 2:42 am

Back to top Go down

Rate the last movie you watched
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next