New Spectral Voice track

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: New Spectral Voice track   Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Shit's pretty dope.  Hopefully their first album will kick ass.

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/track/thresholds-beyond

Actually had seen this a few days ago but didn't listen until now because I thought that split they did with someone was kind of subpar.
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: New Spectral Voice track   Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 am

Not bad. A bunch of the Blood Incantation guys playing some doomy shit.

I have an amusing story about two of the guys from Blood Incantation and this band. They both used to play in Velnias, who are one of my favorite live bands ever. One time I saw them at a great fucking show with Altar of Plagues in the basement of some guy's house. So afterwards I was just talking with the same two guys from BI and this band just about metal and whatever in the kitchen of this house, and I was wearing an old Wolves in the Throne Room shirt, and they started talking about how WitTR aren't that great and that I should listen to Fauna instead for Cascadian BM.

Not much of a point to that story, but I always find it amusing, especially considering where these guys have now gone on to.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: New Spectral Voice track   Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:24 pm

I know I've heard Velnias (probably because of you, Kerr, and roughdraft) but can't remember what they sound like. Fauna is alright but I still prefer Wolves. But that's beside the point...

One or two of the guys played with Hell live for a little bit as well. Necrotic Doom was a really good demo so I'm looking forward to the full release.
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: New Spectral Voice track   Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:04 am

Fully holding back any preview tracks until the record shows up at my door. Band's too good for teasers.

Side notes: 1) Spectral Voice quickly became one of my favorite live acts after seeing them for only just the first time three years ago (give or take?), and I've since seen them I believe three more times. 2) Blood Incantation doesn't do one thing for me. It is death metal, after all. Truth be told, Spectral Voice is the *most* death metal band I've ever liked. Even the death/doom bands I love always have a much heavier leaning towards the doom/gothic/funeral side of things rather than the death side, sometimes only death-y by virtue of the vocals, and often aided by mostly liking (usually) slow, trudging death/doom a la Asunder, Esoteric, Corrupted, Ahab, etc.. But Spectral Voice is almost, according to my ears that are admittedly of course not tuned for death metal, a 50/50 split in sound and influence from the camps of both old school death metal as well as classic '90s/early 2000s death/doom. And I really can't explain or justify why I like them so much but not other bands who also balance near evenly between death and death/doom. 3) Velnias is amazing. I'm sad about their relatively slow output of material, though it's not hard to understand, considering everybody's constant involvement in other projects. I liked Runeeater even more than the debut, and I can imagine liking the next one, whenever it finally comes out, even more. I've seen them live twice. Once seven years ago at an out of service industrial office building turned squatting pad/guerilla venue when needed, and I thought they were good, but mostly that show was just "fun" (funny, that show also featured Lake of Blood, Altar of Plagues and Fell Voices. Probably the same tour that featured a stop at some dude's basement in the midwest lol). The second time was three years later at the Stella Natura 2013 festival, and that's where they really impressed. Both their chops were sharpened and they were showcasing a setlist which heavily favored material from Runeeater, so naturally, I was sold. 4) Fauna is fine, but I'm not totally in love. That's funny about putting down Wolves in the Throne Room in favor of Fauna, as Aaron Weaver actually played in Fauna for a short while lol

/sidenotes
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: New Spectral Voice track   Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:46 pm

I've probably seen Velnias live like 10 times, because they used to open for all of the major bands around the Chicago area. On a rare occasion they were a little less impressive because they're admittedly one of those bands that cares more about the atmosphere of their show than the sound or that everything is properly setup. There have been a few shows where they start playing and something isn't properly connected and there are no vocals or something like that like.

But even then they usually manage to get their shit together after a bit and there is just something about their live performance that connects with me and just can't be recreated on the album. I hate using spiritual wishy-washy language like that, but that's about all I got.

Rough_draft, that does sound like the same tour. Similar to that, I've seen Velnias twice play in an abandoned warehouse in Chicago that was turned into a, like you said, squatting pad/guerilla venue with hippies living in tents.

The funny thing, is even after their recommendation, I've never really gone on to seriously check out Fauna. Maybe someday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Spectral Voice track   

Back to top Go down

New Spectral Voice track
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1