Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Cataloging music and movies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Cataloging music and movies   Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:27 am

Music is obvious: Discogs is perfect. It's got photos, descriptions, band and artist connections and aliases, label profiles, links of interest, matrix and runout sequences, a community and of course the built in marketplace. I've had a profile for a while, but the only things in My Collection are what I've purchased through the marketplace. I've considered doing a complete update, just for fun and to see everything from a different angle. But last year, I did something I thought I'd never be capable of doing...I bought a CD...that I already had. Then, a few months later, I did the same thing again with a cassette. That was a little more surprising and discouraging, being that it was a cassette. Tapes are a new thing for me (well, their revived resurgence back into my musical repertoire is new), so I'd have expected each of those purchases to be a little more special and memorable for me, but I guess not. And it's a tape that I love, too. So I plan to begin the process sometime this year, hopefully to be caught up by the end up the year.

Movies, however, I kind of want to do later on, a bit of an afterthought, just so as to not be left out, and I guess as a double-dip precaution, as well. But I know less about good sites to use. Doesn't blu-ray.com have this feature? Is it any good? DVDaficianado.com still around? I probably don't care about the marketplace, but everything else, especially if it also includes a multi-regional database and covers all platforms (or at least DVD and Blu, plus UHD for if and when I expand to that territory).

So yeah, those two repeat purchases made me feel like I was a collector just for collecting's sake, and I didn't like it.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging music and movies   Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:31 am

Blu-ray.com is probably the best for BDs. DVD Aficionado is still around, but it's now FilmAF.com (film as fuck, lololol).

I kinda gave up cataloging a few months ago, it just got tedious and boring. I'm worried about possible double dips on something, though; there were times when I didn't know if I had something and I couldn't find it on my shelf, and Blu-ray.com saved my ass because I'd already logged it there, lol. So I should probably get back to logging all this bullshit.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging music and movies   Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Yeah I just use blu-ray.com as well now.  Abandoned my filmaf.com account awhile ago

I can instantly see what I have and its not a pain in the ass to add anything, and the wishlist portion of the collection is mostly synced up with Amazon so you can see what everything costs or what went on sale with a click.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=208753

(when you're logged in you see 500 titles at once, which is much nicer)
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging music and movies   Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:54 am

I've never cataloged any of my media. I don't have too many movies, but I definitely have a lot of music.

I can only think of accidently buying a CD I already owned once. I was at a festival, and I saw one copy each of two Arkona albums for cheap at a vendor. Yeah, I kind of like, but don't love Arkona. Anyways, I bought one, listened to it when I got home and thought. "Yeah, I should get the other one tomorrow." So, the following day I went back to the same vendor, bought the one Arkona remaining. Got home and realized, shit, it's the same one. Anyways, this particular vendor must have kept multiples behind the table and replaced the one album when I bought it, while all of the copies of the other one I didn't buy were bought up.

Oh well, my wife kind of likes Arkona, so I just gave it to her.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging music and movies   Wed May 10, 2017 9:32 am

I use DVDAF and Rate your music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cataloging music and movies