Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

4K? Anybody give a shit?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: 4K? Anybody give a shit?   Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:03 pm

I do, but I haven't the cash to invest in it all, especially because it wouldn't just be the tv. I'd have to upgrade to a 4K Blu-Ray player, get a new 4k compatible receiver, plus new cables. And then I've been reading about how all 4K UHD Blus put out so far are actually 2K masters upscaled on disc with 4K encoding, and then some have HDR? That didn't sound right to me, but I kept reading it in different places. Sounds like it's currently not worth the investment, even with streaming services offering at least partial 4K content. But dem new LG OLED 4Ks is so damn shmexy.

Not that I'm any sort of industry expert or anything, but I kind of see 4K being the generation that the physical format officially dies with the major studios, in this country at least. Niche and specialty studios will probably continue to put out Blus and DVDs for a long time, but I don't see Iron Man 14 coming to 8K Blu home video in the US. So it's a bit of a conundrum of both not wanting to miss out, but also not wanting to invest in a partially supported format. I feel like, if I have the cash in the next year or two, and there's much better support, I'll throw a few grand on a credit card for a system upgrade. Apart from that, I might just stick with ye old 1080p plasma til it dies.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: 4K? Anybody give a shit?   Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:37 pm

I think most films are still edited from a 2K digital intermediate, so yeah, you'll be seeing a lot of 4K upscales. The Revenant was shot and edited in 4K, so I'd imagine the UHD for that is native 4K.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: 4K? Anybody give a shit?   Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:15 pm

I read a review of a 4K Blu-Ray player on blu-ray.com that said that it wasn't, but I can't seem to find it again.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: 4K? Anybody give a shit?   Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Probably a mistake; the actual UHD review there mentions it's much more detailed.

But, if this screenshot comparison is anything to go by, the upscaled BD doesn't look much different besides the color.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/175138
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/175139

Either it's a real damn good Blu-ray that squeezes a ton of detail out of the 4K master, or the UHD is an upscale, which would be incredibly lazy when the movie had a 4K DI.

These are kind of shitty comparison shots, though. To get a true sense of the detail difference you'd have to do a wide shot with a lot of stuff going on, not face closeups.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: 4K? Anybody give a shit?   Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:16 pm

Hell, my interest in Blu-ray is still minimal at best, so I definitely don't give a shit about 4K.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4K? Anybody give a shit?   Today at 4:11 pm

Back to top Go down

4K? Anybody give a shit?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1