Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I've fought it for a while, but I finally caved

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: I've fought it for a while, but I finally caved   Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:09 pm

and started collecting cassettes (or re-started--I had a bunch as a pre-teen, but they were all lost/stolen). I have about 20 so far.

Thankfully, I'm not doing the same thing I did with vinyl where I told myself I was going to "mostly only buy things that either are vinyl-exclusive, or where the vinyl has at least some exclusive feature like an extra song or different album cover artwork," but then devolved into buying both the vinyl and CD of everything new I was getting.

I was happy to shun tapes for a long time. It's never been a format I loved as a collector, what with being a small format, feeling cheap and chintsy and having not great audio quality. But in the recent years there's been yet another vintage format resurgence hard-on for the things, and many bands and even entire labels are putting shit out on tapes near-exclusively (if not across the board, then for at least some specific content). It started with probably Dispirit the first time I saw them and saw only tapes at the merch table, back in 2009 or 2010. I remember saying that I'd "Wait for the vinyl or CD," and that shit's obviously never coming.

Of those ~20 that I have, I believe only two or three can be had via other physical formats, and only one at a reasonable price (Autarcie's Époque révolue. It was five bucks and had different artwork and is limited and numbered, so whatever). But apart from the select few, I'm really only collecting and seeking out shit that's only on tape. What sucks, is there were so many I was interested in over the last few years but just never sprung for as I still didn't see myself leaping into collecting yet another format. For example, I could have easily had all of Hell's tape-exclusive content cassettes from attending their tours, but I kept passing on them. Now they're all long sold out and go for four or more times the original sale price on discogs and ebay.

L'Acephale and Lluvia have some new tapes coming soon I have my eye on, and from there, I think it will be a much slower build than my vinyl and CD collections...sucks being that it's the cheapest format lol. I also still don't have a tape player (poser I know), but I do have some bids out on some nicer vintage decks in good condition. I've just gotten sick of seeing albums released on limited to 100-or-less cassette-only slip by me.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: I've fought it for a while, but I finally caved   Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:37 pm

I'm gonna start a band and only release music on these things.

Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: I've fought it for a while, but I finally caved   Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Those were in line for me right after reel-to-reel, 8-track and DAT tapes.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: I've fought it for a while, but I finally caved   Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:44 pm

I've got a couple cassette only Hell releases... and one of those is thanks to you! Yeah, I really only seek out the cassettes when that's the only format available.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: I've fought it for a while, but I finally caved   Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:37 pm

i have like 3 tapes that arent local noise shit the only one i remember is Deicide- Serpents of the light which i got for 25 cents at a now defunct record store
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: I've fought it for a while, but I finally caved   Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Tape player arrived a few days ago, got this heavy sexy black boss of a bitch:

http://www.vintagecassette.com/nakamichi/cr-3

Went to my storage box o' extra cables and I actually only had one set of RCAs and it was too short lol. So I got some 6-footers from monoprice, should be here by Friday. Tested it with my shorter cables though and it works great. I think it's my best looking and most solidly built component, as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've fought it for a while, but I finally caved   Today at 4:22 pm

Back to top Go down

I've fought it for a while, but I finally caved
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1