Share | 

Owning physical copies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Owning physical copies   Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:26 pm

Just wondering your guys' stances on owning albums in physical form (CDs, records) and what it means to you.

I sold off a lot of CDs, including most of my metal CDs a couple years ago after a serious bout of depression. Everything brought me down including having a hoard of stuff surrounding me. I also hadn't for many years listened to music the way I used to: sit down with an album start to finish and familiarize yourself with it as a whole. Somehow my attention span didn't allow for it or I lost interest, even though it always bugged me I that I didn't make time for listening to music this way anymore because it's still the best way to hear an album.

And as I've said, I hadn't really listened to much of any metal in a long time, which goes hand-in-hand with my less focused method of listening to music: you can't really enjoy many metal songs on their own or sing along to 'em in the car as if they were fun, emotional pop songs; in my opinion, the genre really requires you to hear the entire album in one sitting.

I'm sitting here listening to AAC rips of CDs I or my sister had. Last night, Emperor's "Ye Entrancemperium" popped into my head, so this morning I listened to Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk in its entirety and loved it just like the first time I heard it. Got me on somewhat of a black metal kick I guess, because now I'm listening to Mayhem's De Mysteriis dom Sathanas, the first time I've ever actually sat down to hear the whole thing. It was a CD that my sister owned, who by the way was part of my inspiration if you will for selling off my CDs: she didn't like the clutter of having them around and was content with the rips.

Now, I'm feeling a sense of loss, wanting some of my better metal CDs back. Some of my favorites I kept (Sab, Devin, Solefald, Sigh) but the majority were sold, and for pretty decent money. There's an inclination to rebuy some of the cooler stuff, like the best stuff from Demilich, Aborym, etc., but at the same time it feels like wasting money because I already had those things, and it also doesn't serve a terribly big purpose since the music is all on my computer anyway and the CDs would just be on a shelf taking up space. I used to be pretty obsessed with checking out the liner notes and lyrics but I lost interest in that some time ago and just prefer the music on its own; anything I wanna know about an album's credits I can just look up on Discogs or Wikipedia.

So I guess I'm just wondering all your opinions on the importance of physically owning the music you enjoy, especially if it no longer has any practical purpose and you're like me and just listen to rips on a computer or MP3 player.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Once upon a time I cared greatly about owning physical copies of the music I bought. I didn't want to own anything digital-only if I could help it. As space becomes a big deal in my room however (my house is big, but I can't exactly keep my stuff all throughout the house, so a lot of it is crowded into my room), I find that owning physical stuff is not that big a deal anymore. I sometimes buy new CDs, but it's also not uncommon for me to buy music digitally... including either on an album basis or on a single-song basis. Just a day or two ago I went on iTunes and saw that Holy Moses' Finished With The Dogs was being sold there. I've been wanting that album for... nearly a decade now, but its CD release was super-rare and was really expensive online. This digital release was only about ten dollars though... and I just decided to buy it. I don't care about owning a physical copy anymore. I'm just happy being able to have access to the music itself now.

Similarly, I've recently purchased other music digitally that I love, and that I may or may not ever get a physical copy of. Power Trip's Manifest Decimation is a fucking amazing thrash metal album, and I love it. I got that on Bandcamp digitally, and I may not ever get a physical copy of it. Same with Against Me's Transgender Dysphoria Blues, or Visigoth's Final Spell EP (that may not have even had a physical release, come to think of it; I don't recall), or any other thing that I buy either through Bandcamp or iTunes or Amazon or wherever else. So... I can understand wanting a physical copy of something really important or treasured by yourself. I'm happy to own the deluxe edition of Hellhammer's Demon Entrails, for instance, because Hellhammer is a true favorite of mine and I love having a physical copy of their stuff. But I don't feel the urge to go out of my way to buy every single thing I want digitally anymore. I actually sold a small handful of CDs this past summer, if I recall correctly. They were CDs I didn't care about at all, like some instrumental jazz CDs I got in middle school, and have since found that I probably wouldn't ever listen to them again, simply because they don't appeal to me. I knew they weren't important to me, and I needed the money :p So alongside some redundant DVDs of mine (like Powerpuff Girl's Season 1, which I don't actually need beyond collector's value as I own the full series set now), I sold it, and went on to buy something else with it that I actually wanted. I don't actually recall what I bought with it :p But I'm still glad to get rid of something I didn't need.

On the other hand... getting rid of stuff I really care about a lot would be hard for me. Especially video game-wise; I recently got this device called a Kazzo, which lets you dump ROMs of your NES cartridges onto your computer. Through it, I now have a semi-legal ROM collection, which includes nearly every NES game I own. I love it, and it's so much more convenient now to be able to play all my NES games wherever I go, on my computer or on my Wii via Homebrew or however else I wanna play them. Still though... I don't know if I'd want to sell certain games of mine. Particularly ones I truly care about like the Marios and the Contras and the Ninja Gaidens and whatnot. I haven't been in the situation where I sold a whole bunch of things I previously cared about a lot, so I'm not sure what to suggest about it. Maybe... you could try repurchasing some of the CDs you previously sold, one or two at a time, and seeing how that feels. Gorguts' Obscura and From Wisdom to Hate are going to be rereleased soon, as a reminder Smile Maybe start there? I hope whatever happens, that you're able to feel better about this.

Last edited by X-pert74 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:19 pm

I still have a strong interest in owning the physical copy of albums that really interest me or just are somewhat easily available and catch my interest, e.g. I still buy a lot of albums at shows or vendors at metal festivals.

I can't really explain why, but it's a more complete experience I guess.  However, I must admit that my buying rate of albums has significantly dropped, I'm far more selective in general.  Not due to lack of interest, just diminishing money and greatly diminishing time to be able to listen to them.  That diminishing time also means that my large collection of older albums are already being neglected more than they should, but I don't see myself ever going out of my way to sell much of any of them.  Especially when you figure that I would get almost no money for most of them.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:41 pm

The weird part is I never used to like listening to downloaded MP3s. I always preferred the sound of CDs, especially when the MP3s weren't ripped right (gaps between tracks, glitches), and it felt more legitimate to buy a product that you listen to rather than pirate it. Therefore, any album I was really digging, I just had to own it.

It's kind of an uncomfortable line of thinking. Not that supporting artists you enjoy is a bad thing, but no one has the money to buy everything they want. It got to the point of obsession for me. I think a lot of my weird feelings of wanting to rebuy things are attached to that thinking as it hasn't fully gone away.

I'll still buy music by my favorite artists but I'm less inclined to own something. Bandcamp/iTunes/Amazon MP3 are a cheaper alternative much of the time, and you don't get that clutter. You also don't actually own anything, which sucks in some ways but is a relief in other ways, most of all curtailing my "must own everything" obsession. Which, unfortunately, I still have with movies, though a lot of it also has to do with services like Netflix not having a movie for streaming permanently and also the higher quality of a Blu-ray (and my crap Internet speeds making streaming even worse).

The past couple years have brought a lot of change for me, and I suppose going forward these are just the growing pains.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:47 pm

Had to double check to see if this was an old thread since I saw Kate posting. Tongue

But anyway the question you pose and the situation you bring up are two different things.

Yes, generally I like to own the physical copy. Usually an artist can put together a nice whole package and overall music is an active activity so it's nice to hold the record in your hands read the booklet etc. Also unlike other mediums you can control the quality of the music. For instance these past few weeks I've gone back to re-rip a large majority of my collection, the quality was all over the place and I wanted to come down with a standard. I know probably a waste of time to most of you but something that I wanted to do. Tongue - I don't have a huge issue with buying digital, especially if something is digital only. What I do like is that Amazon gives you both.

As for your scenario you already bought the albums so I personally wouldn't find anything wrong with downloading them. And if you really want the album well then buy it. I know I've sold a couple of CDs and then came back a while later and said, "wait I actually like this" and bought it again. Heck my copy of Wisconsin Death Trip was all scuffed up I bought another copy like last year.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:08 pm

I still have all my rips of every CD that I owned (and have it backed up once, should do other backups), so accessibility to listening is still there. And yeah, I've no issue with the legality or moral ambiguity of it because, like you said, I already paid for that stuff.

I guess I just get weirdly attached to things which is probably a sign of some hoarding habit. Razz

And I brought Kate here because I wanted her input. Batting
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:21 pm

I kinda sorta have hoarding tendencies too; it runs in my family D: It's really hard to make myself get rid of things. I try to at least keep my space clean and free from gross shit, but it can get filled with miscellaneous stuff from time to time. I still haven't quite figured out how to deal with it. Maybe someday I'll become super rich and buy a mansion, where I can dedicate a room or two to my entire collections of music/video games/movies/etc.

Abnormal Freak wrote:

Hugs
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Abnormal Freak wrote:

I bet you did you dirty dog. Mischief
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:28 pm

I find the idea of paying for something non-physical pretty insane, so I tend to buy every album I genuinely care about. I was into the vinyl thing for a while, but it got expensive, so now I only buy vinyl when it isn't available on CD. I've also grown more fond of CDs recently because I finally have a car with a CD player in it.

I prefer CDs over MP3s always because of the "album experience" too. You're less likely to skip to another artist or album if you have a physical CD in a player. So it kind of forces you to actually listen to a piece of music as a whole.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Electroretard wrote:
I find the idea of paying for something non-physical pretty insane, so I tend to buy every album I genuinely care about.  I was into the vinyl thing for a while, but it got expensive, so now I only buy vinyl when it isn't available on CD.  I've also grown more fond of CDs recently because I finally have a car with a CD player in it.

I prefer CDs over MP3s always because of the "album experience" too.  You're less likely to skip to another artist or album if you have a physical CD in a player.  So it kind of forces you to actually listen to a piece of music as a whole.

You have a Steam account.  Tongue

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
Abnormal Freak wrote:

I bet you did you dirty dog. Mischief

I'm pretty sure at least a third of you guys want to fuck me (looking at you in particular Bluge Kiss ), though not Ab. Doesn't he have a girlfriend now? Thinking
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:35 am

I'd fook all of you.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:17 am

Abnormal Freak wrote:
I'd fook all of you.

So what strings do I have to pull to get you to post at IGN for Possy?

X-pert74 wrote:

I'm pretty sure at least a third of you guys want to fuck me (looking at you in particular Bluge Kiss ), though not Ab. Doesn't he have a girlfriend now? Thinking

Pssh like that's going to stop him. Talk Hand
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:30 am

U shud b pullin they possy string 2 poast hea mo
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:13 am

Abnormal Freak wrote:
I'd fook all of you.

Shock Wink

[quote="Hollow_Viscus"]
Abnormal Freak wrote:
Pssh like that's going to stop him. Talk Hand

Evidently Mischief
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:44 pm

I still have an "intense preference" (I don't want to say that I'm obsessed or an addict haha) for physical media. To the point that I've literally only ever downloaded something that was in fact digital only. I also share the same sentiments as BR in thinking that paying for a download is ludicrous, particularly when a lot of times the physical option is similarly-priced and sometimes even cheaper.

I like having a collection. I like seeing things organized on a shelf. I like remembering stories about how I came across or acquired an album. I like the physical act of selecting a PIECE of music from the shelf and placing it into the player and experiencing the entire thing. My expendable income level is rather high compared to what I've been used to thus far in my life, which helps to perpetuate these feelings and selection of lifestyle, but I can only imagine this habit/hobby becoming slowed, pending the mediums themselves actually continue. The only way I'm getting rid of the things is if I'm about to lose the home in which they are housed. I really don't like MP3s or playing music from a screen with a point and click selection. I had an MP3 player in college because, well, I was in college and space and money were extremely limited. But I hated it. I went back to my Discman and existing CD library.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:17 pm

I have a steam account because i dont really give a shit about video games. Music is really important to me so I always want an actual product.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:47 pm

Also there is no advantage to having physical copies of games these days.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Yeah, it's not like games come with liner notes or booklets.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:42 pm

I'll buy some digi albums off bandcamp from time to time. I have quite a few cds just laying around in the car and in my house that I have no attachment to at all. Many of the CDs I've bought were bought used so 0% of that money even went to the band or the band's record label.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:08 am

Electroretard wrote:
Yeah, it's not like games come with liner notes or booklets.

Not anymore they don't.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:17 am

I just like owning the physical copy. Many times I will listen to a digital version anyway. My record player in my apartment is busted at the moment and I don't want to clutter my car with cds... so I generally just load the albums I'm into at the moment on my phone and plug that into my stereo in my car. I just think it's nice to have the physical version to look at and fawn over. I mostly buy stuff from the bands, so for the most part they are actually getting something from it... but I do just like knowing I own the real thing. That also extends to my video game collection. I don't play emulators (aside from the Retron and VC). I just won't play a game unless I own the cart of it. Eh... just a thing for me.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:55 am

It's true that for video games I don't care as much for the physical media, unless they're Saturn games, but that's because I'm somewhat obsessed with the Saturn. Otherwise, digital is either far more convenient or in these days the only option with steam games, but for new console games where the physical copy is readily available I still have a moderate preference for that.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:09 pm

For new console games, I'll usually go with the physical copy considering the download versions are much of the time the same exact price or even more (sans insane PSN sales where games are $5 or something). If there's a sale on a download though, I'll probably just snag that if it's not a game I'm super crazy about owning; I reserve physical copies for games or franchises I have a lot of love for. I did just get a 2TB external for my Wii U so maybe that'll change a little bit.

There's a possibility I may rebuy some CDs, but perhaps not since I have no real practical reason for doing so. These days I'm just as comfortable looking up booklet scans as I am having them in front of me. The only shitty thing is if my iPod completely dies, since it's basically on life support right now, and a good high-capacity MP3 player seems to be hard to come by now.

I am on a small metal kick which is exciting. Revisiting albums I loved. I think my brain might have gotten so saturated with the stuff that I got tired out.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:06 pm

One of my best friends used to be pretty terrible with how he handled his music collection. When we both started buying a lot of music in high school we both got our fair share of albums, but after a few years he got bored of a lot of his music and pretty much sold it all. I at least was able to buy a fair number of them for cheap from him. However, about a year later he started buying a lot of those albums that he sold off again. After a couple years he sold most of them again, and repeated this a few times. He's much better about it these days and has kept most of the same CDs for a fair while now, but I'm quite certain there are a handful of older releases he has bought and sold and bought again 3 to 4 times. He was never much better with video games either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Owning physical copies   Today at 10:04 am

Back to top Go down

Owning physical copies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1