Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Fallen is killer. And while Varg's had better efforts, if you discount the last two albums, he's always been solid (yes, even Daudi Baldrs/Hlidskjalf) and Fallen ranks among the best.

As for the new topic at hand. I've come up with a few other mentions that might work.

Kólga  - https://theflenser.bandcamp.com/album/demo. I'm not a big fan of the vocals, but I really like the sound of it.

Drudkh - Handful of Stars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCzgYdtQwdg. Not my fave album by them, but it's their most gazey by far.

Airs -  A Left Turn at Happiness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WVhgN3a8Rs very much an instrumental version of .neon-era Lantlos.

There are also two compilations you might want to check, despite their godawful titles:
The World Comes To An End In The End Of A Journey
and
Depression and Hatred for 3 Years

Both from Pest Productions, who were (and still are it seems) big into promoting blackgaze.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:53 am

Shrike wrote:
Fallen is killer. And while Varg's had better efforts, if you discount the last two albums, he's always been solid (yes, even Daudi Baldrs/Hlidskjalf) and Fallen ranks among the best.  

Yes even his two best albums? Weird statement to make.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
Shrike wrote:

Yes even his two best albums? Weird statement to make.

Hipster Humbug.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:07 pm

Shrike wrote:

Eh, it was okay. Better than average for that type of Black Metal, but I wouldn't put it in the same league as Det Som Engang Var or Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:21 pm

I've been in this discussion a couple of times and I think it always comes down to the fact that I think the lyrics for Fallen are better. It's kind of a douchey "I know better"-type response, but for me, the fact that you can actually hear the vocals and that the lyrics mesh really well with the music bring it above many of the classic albums as a whole. It's a sad as fuck album and has very little of the LOTR/odalism-bullshit that can be a bit weak.

As for the other albums: While I love Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, everything kinda pales in comparison to the opening track (which, arguably, is the best single track he's ever done, imo. It was my gateway drug into black metal from the start, so it's massively important to me). It's starts out amazing, but then becomes gradually less interesting. And all the early albums have some filler or weak tracks. Fallen is way more cohesive.

But, to each his own.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:34 am

See I found Fallen to be relatively unmemorable for large stretches. Ah well. I'll probably listen to it again now that we've had this conversation.

Btw Drudkh is wicked.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:52 am

Listen to Mgla, particularly With Hearts Towards None. It's ridiculous how much of a riff-fest it is. It's not gazey really, but it is a good deal atmospheric in addition to being good and raw.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:28 pm

I didn't want to bump one of the rap threads so I'll put this here where you'll read it.

New Blue Sky Black Death and Nacho Picasso album!

http://nachopicasso.bandcamp.com/album/stoned-dethroned

There's some glitch though so if you want to buy it you have to go to the BSBD page.
http://bsbd.bandcamp.com/album/stoned-dethroned

Tongue
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:03 am

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Listen to Mgla, particularly With Hearts Towards None. It's ridiculous how much of a riff-fest it is. It's not gazey really, but it is a good deal atmospheric in addition to being good and raw.

Seriously, one of the best modern black metal albums.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:52 am

Been listening to With Hearts Toward None tonight before I go to work. So good.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:03 am

Shrike wrote:
I've been in this discussion a couple of times and I think it always comes down to the fact that I think the lyrics for Fallen are better. It's kind of a douchey "I know better"-type response, but for me, the fact that you can actually hear the vocals and that the lyrics mesh really well with the music bring it above many of the classic albums as a whole. It's a sad as fuck album and has very little of the LOTR/odalism-bullshit that can be a bit weak.

As for the other albums: While I love Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, everything kinda pales in comparison to the opening track (which, arguably, is the best single track he's ever done, imo. It was my gateway drug into black metal from the start, so it's massively important to me). It's starts out amazing, but then becomes gradually less interesting. And all the early albums have some filler or weak tracks. Fallen is way more cohesive.

But, to each his own.

So I've been listening to Fallen a lot lately and have changed my opinion on it, it's a pretty dope album. Up there with Det Som and Hvist for me now.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:22 pm

Haven't checked in here in quite a while. Of all the things I expected to see, that was not one of them.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:07 pm

New Bosse-De-Nage is superb.

Profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/allfours
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Today at 1:23 pm

Back to top Go down

So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2