HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:08 am

and I'm wondering is all "blackgaze" like this? I've listened to a fair bit of it since it started getting mega popular the last few years and always seemed to hate it. But I don't recall listening to anything that sounded like this. I'm actually enjoying this quite a bit. Maybe I completely burned myself out on the whole black metal thing and needed to take an extended break or something (I've listened to like 7 black metal albums today which is the most I've listened to in one sitting in probably close to 5 years), but I'm willing to give this genre another shot. What are some good albums in a similar vein? I might actually even go back and listen to that one Alcest album I never cared for and see if it strikes a different chord now. Anyway I'm open to recommendations so hit me with whatever.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Deafheaven was sooooooooooooooooo 2013. Pallbearer is in now, man. Get with the times bro.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:06 pm

A non-retarded response would be:

The first Deafheaven record is better

and:

Altar of Plagues
Lantlos' first three albums (middle two in particular, first is good but lighter on that "gaze" sound and the fourth, the most recent, has no harsh vocals and loses most of its metallic sound in general. Still very good though)
Les Discrets (like that fourth Lantlos album but better)
Gris and Sombres Forets
Thranenkind (none of their new shit though)
Woods of Desolation
Austere

There's plenty more, but start with those. Liking Sunbather should mean you have potential to like all of those, but because you're cghost, you'll probably hate them all.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Sunbather is definitely not really representative of the genre. The guitarist's Edge worship kind of make them stick out.

I've found that a lot of stuff gets labeled blackgaze despite having very different sounds. Most of R_Zs list I'd agree with, but I'd hesitate to call Les Discrets blackgaze as there's very little blackness to it (but like I said, lots of stuff ends up under that label), and Woods of Desolation's earlier albums I'd consider to be more like DSBM than blackgaze (Torn Beyond Reason is pretty much total blackgaze tho)

If you want to check out Alcest, I'd say that the Elevation EP is probably the one that I'd find closest to Sunbather in terms of tone.

Lately I've been listening the shit out of Myrkur's s/t debut EP and while it has some heavy Bergtatt-era-Ulver-worship going on a lot of the production reminds me of that fuzzy melodic yet aggro guitar that I associate with the genre.

I'd also want to recommend Heretoir alongside Lantlos/Thränenkind as good "urban sounding" blackgaze. The split with Thränenkind is amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5jJs9LAcgA&index=2&list=RDD2koB89uEqI

For the more of the gaze and less of the black I'd also recommend Clouds Collide. https://cloudscollideofficial.bandcamp.com/album/until-the-wind-stops-blowing The clean vocals could be a dealbreaker though and it's quite far from Deafheavn in terms of sound.

And then, just to piss you off: Sleeping Peonies
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Yeah, forgot Heretoir, probably woulda been one of the better ones on my short list had I remembered. I've been listening to them a lot lately, too.

Les Discrets I just threw in there because of the similarity to Lantlos' Melting Sun, in case he got that far through their discography and liked it. And yeah, Torn Beyond Reason is the most blackgaze from Woods, and I think just plain their best album.

I'd also say An Autumn for Crippled Children if he could get past the name, but I doubt he could.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:19 pm

Sunbather is definitely not as good as Roads to Judah even though Sunbather is the one that gets all the praise now.

Also
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:12 am

I listened to Deafheaven's first album. It's good. I'm not sure which one I like better. I'm leaning towards Sunbather but that one tails off towards the end. I need to give them both another couple listens. I tried listening to Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde, and didn't hate it as much as I did when I first heard it in 2007. That said I didn't really care for it either so that's probably out. I'm listening to Teethed Glory and Injury by Altar of Plagues right now. This isn't too bad. I like how they have a kind of Axis of Perdition/Silencer thing going on, and there are some "gazey" elements i guess you could say, but its not exactly in the style I was looking for. I'll keep going through these recommendations.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:25 am

Wrong album for Altar of Plagues. You want to listen to White Tomb.

As for Alcest, check out the Le Secret EP (I confused a song off of it with the EP).

Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Kinda changing the subject, but did you guys hear that Altar of Plagues is touring next year? I saw a Facebook status by the band saying they are booking shows at intimate venues who are booking them for artistic reasons. The band apparently has no interest in money.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Yes. That happened.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:22 pm

Shrike wrote:

Okay so should there be any other albums from any of these artists I should not be listening to because it's not the style I'm looking for?
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm listening to Le Secret right now. First song I didn't like. Mostly I think because of the vocals. Elevation is pretty cool though.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Listened to .neon by Lantlos. Liked it quite a bit. Listening to Setembre et ses Dernieres Pensees by Les Discret. I really like this. Kind of like a Kataonia/Ulver mashup.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:57 pm

Cghost21 wrote:
Shrike wrote:

Okay so should there be any other albums from any of these artists I should not be listening to because it's not the style I'm looking for?

well I think AoP has had some post rock infused atmospheric BM material and their final album is maybe a bit technical or slightly experimental. Some of the songs are pretty unique sounding and at least one has some pretty cool dsbm vox going on. I'd like to see them tour on their final album, but I guess they are too cool for $$$$.

My song suggestion is more of a post BM band that has some bits that definitely can remind you of DFHVN. Not really gazey, but kinda cool

Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:44 am

Cghost21 wrote:
Shrike wrote:

I think it's easier to go with a list of albums you might enjoy rather than eliminating the rest:

Altar of Plagues - White Tomb, Sol
Lantlos - .neon, Agape (Melting Sun has removed all the black, but is an awesome metally shoegazy album)
Thränenkind - Eine Momentaufnahme… (be warned that this kinda comes from a DSBM/new wave-lineage), split with Heretoir
Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
Alcest - Tracks are probably a better guide than albums here as they can be a bit uneven:
Exailles Des Lune part 2, Percees De Lumiere, Là Où Naissent Les Couleurs Nouvelles, Beings of Light, Faiseurs de Mondes,
Heretoir - Substanz and the split with Thräenkind
Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes

Oh, and Bosse De Nage ought to be right up your alley too. First album is the best, but I think the third is probably the one closest to Sunbather.

Also, I just realized that Neige/Winterhalter/Metastazis sideproject Glaciation might work as well. It has somewhat of a more retro/second wave BM-sound, but in terms of structure and soundscape I think it's pretty close to something like Sunbather.

Edit: forgot about Todtgelichter. Check out Angst.

Cghost21 wrote:
I'm listening to Le Secret right now. First song I didn't like. Mostly I think because of the vocals. Elevation is pretty cool though.

Neige's clean vocals are a bit of an issue. His screams are amazing, but the cleans can be frustrating. I think you might dig Lantlos Agape, even though it's kind of a departure (all Lantlos albums are)
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:55 pm

Amesoeurs?

I feel like with all these recommendations C.Ghost has avoided any discussions on this board in the last five years. Tongue
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
Amesoeurs?

I feel like with all these recommendations C.Ghost has avoided any discussions on this board in the last five years. Tongue

Thought about that, but while Amesoeurs were pretty integral in terms of launching the whole genre, it's quite far from what Deafheaven/Alcest are doing these days. The whole pop/post-punk influence is heavy, whereas what I thought C.Ghost wanted was something more in the post-rock/BM/shoegaze-camp.

That said, Ruines Humaines and Amesoeurs are hands down still my favorite releases of all time. I'd say tracks like Heurt and Au Crepuscule... are probably closest in sound, but they're pretty far apart.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:07 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
I'd also say An Autumn for Crippled Children if he could get past the name, but I doubt he could.

Actually I listened to "Try Not To Destroy Everything you Love" today and it was pretty good. Name is beyond stupid though.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Currently listening to Withering Illusions and Desolation by Austere. Love the Silencer vibe.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:04 pm

Austere was pretty cool the few times I listened. Still can't stand Silencer's vocals.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:29 pm

you have the worst taste in music on this board so I'm not surprised
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:29 pm

jk you don't outsuck that clown respawned
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:09 am

It's true. He doesn't.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:42 am

My favorite Austere album is "Just For A Moment" followed by the split with Lyrinx, the latter of which isn't really gazy at all, just minimal yet top-notch dsbm (Lyrinx's half of the split included).
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:35 am

I have both of those. Will listen.

Listening to Burzum's "Fallen". Not really what I'm looking for but decent nonetheless. Varg's had better efforts though.

This thread may as well be renamed "Come see what type of black metal Cghost is listening to"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven   Today at 11:07 pm

Back to top Go down

So I'm listening to Sunbather by Deafheaven
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next