Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 3:34 pm

In my late teens I began to get into that stuff, just in time for me to go to film school and have a lot less time and expendable income, so it never really grasped me all that tight. I got a few of the standards like Re-Animator, I Spit on Your Grave, Cannibal Holocaust, Guinea Pig, The Deadly Spawn, etc.. Some were things I already knew and liked, devoid of thinking of them as "cult or counter-culture," but many were also blind-buys by reputation and recommendation, just because I thought of myself as really into the genre(s). I still spend most of my entertainment money on music, but I've been strongly in the mood for the stuff again for the first time in years and very curious about a lot of things coming out that are worthwhile but passing me by.

What I'm most looking for are things that aren't SO low budget and cheesy. I'd still like them to be FILMS. To have competent cast and crew, particularly in the fields of acting, story-telling and especially cinematography. In my opinion, that means a lot of Troma is just a total waste of time (from what I remember), but I have heard that they have some things that are at least a little better, like Poultrygeist--although I remember watching the trailer and thinking it looked really terrible aside from the effects and make-up. I just really have a hard time finding flicks with overly-amateurish acting, editing and cinematography to still have otherwise redeeming qualities. That's why I still love stuff like Re-Animator, Dead Alive and Stage Fright. The cheese is definitely there for those kinds of movies, but they're still in the world of a movie and not constantly breaking the fourth wall as a joke of them telling you "Hey, we know we're making a shitty movie and wanna let you know that we know, but hey! Still! Look at this cool effect we can do!" I hate that shit, unless they're actually funny and witty like Matt Stone and Trey Parker.

The second feature I'm looking for, is features. That's why I said "Blu-Rays" specifically, cuz I don't just want the movie and that's it. I've found that special editions of low-budget schlock films that I thought I would love but actually only found to be maybe passable are still worthwhile purchases because of good special features, particularly in the area of interviews and commentaries. And I don't mind some expensive, low number release that's $25, but I would like to avoid something that's out of print and only attainable from e-Bay hawks at the approaching $100 price range. Like, something I was considering and thought of as kind of expensive but still reasonable was the Basket Case trilogy Blu-Ray steelbook at ~$50. Although, I know nothing about it. Amazon has it as "region free," so is it not a North American release? I'm less into and knowledgeable about Blu-Ray technology and region encoding than I was about DVDs, so I often don't know what's what or how to find out.

So for reference, this is a list of what I already have on DVD. If there's an upgraded Blu-Ray that's worthy of repurchasing, still let me know I guess, but I'm mostly interested in new stuff:

28 Days Later
Aracnophobia (Blu-Ray for this actually)
Audition
The Beyond (Seven Doors of Death)
Cannibal Holocaust (Grindhouse Deluxe Edition)
Cannibal! the Musical
Cemetery Man
The Deadly Spawn
The Descent
Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness (1 and 2 are the screaming Book of the Dead editions, and AoD is the 2-disc Boomstick edition)
The Exorcist
Friday the 13th box set plus Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X and Freddy Vs Jason
The Frighteners (Blu-Ray for this actually)
Guinea Pig box set
Halloween 1, 2, 4 & 5 (all Anchor Bay special editions except for 2)
High Tension
The Hills Have Eyes and THHE remake
I Spit On Your Grave
Maniac (Anchor Bay tin)
Night of the Living Dead, NotLD Savini remake, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead (all SEs)
Nightmare on Elm Street box set
Opera
The People Under the Stairs
Piranha ('78)
Re-Animator
Return of the Living Dead 1 & 2
Salo
Seven Blood-Stained Orchids
Sleepaway Camp box set
Stage Fright
Suspiria
Texas Chainsaw Massacre and TCM remake
The Thing (Blu-Ray)
Videodrome
Zombi 2
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 4:10 pm

Martyrs
Calvaire
House of the Devil
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 5:05 pm

The Basket Case Trilogy is indeed a UK release, but region-free. I think Abs has it.

I have a meeting coming up here, but will post my list sometime afterwards
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Don't know any of those Bluge but will look them up.

One thing I've intended to get since the special edition DVD was Street Trash, just never got around to it. I see that there is now a Blu-Ray. Just added it to my Amazon cart.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Basket Case Trilogy set is good. Most or all of the same features as the US release, same transfer for the first film (which looks amazing), awesome transfers for the sequels but no extras whatsoever for either. Region-free, get that shit posthaste.

Return of the Living Dead UK release is also region-free but you have to hit the top menu button when it shows you a screen saying it will only play in Region B equipment. Nice little workaround. Why that one over the US release? Same transfer essentially, but has the original audio; US Blu-ray has the DVD audio which altered some zombie voices (Tarman especially) and replaced licensed punk songs with stock-type stuff. It has the American DVD audio as well, so it's a win-win; and it has an awesome documentary that's almost two hours long, including a commentary for it.

The Re-Animator remaster rapes, I would under no circumstance recommend the shit Image put out in the US. Trouble is it's pricy to import because I think the UK one is Region B, so you'd have to get the German edition—but the limited German one which also included the "Integral Cut" (unrated and R-rated versions fused together) is out of print, whereas the UK set has both as a standard release. For buying horror flicks, it really pays off to be region-free, be it a player or BD burner with software that strips region coding. But in the end, the Integral Cut is just a curio, not of utmost importance; I'll probably never watch it a second time except for that Barbara Crampton orgasm in the alternate sex scene. HUGE WOOD.

Stage Fright and Suspiria are incoming. The former will probably look like most of the noise-riddled transfers coming out of Rome but still an improvement over the ancient DVDs; latter is to be scanned in 2K by Synapse Films and a Technicolor film lab, so it'll definitely beat the hell out of the existing HD master which has been released everywhere else in the world.

The Beyond and Cannibal Holocaust are coming from Grindhouse. Latter is announced for July, comes in a nice package including bonus disc and CD soundtrack and Grindhouse's own transfer which will no doubt spank the competition's, because their existing Blu-rays look awesome. Same with Beyond: it'll no doubt look waaaay better than the Italian transfer released in the UK, and it'll probably be announced for this year since they said "coming soon."

Deadly Spawn looks like poopy-ass-dick on Blu-ray. Producer literally just took the Synapse DVD—not the actual MASTER for it, but ripped THE DVD ITSELF—added some ugly noise reduction, upscaled it poorly, and slapped it on a Blu-ray Disc. Everyone complained, so he said, "Whelp, going back to do a new HD master!" Came back a couple months later with the exact same thing only with no noise reduction, but it actually looks worse than the Synapse DVD upscaled by any old Blu-ray player. Sticking with the DVD is the way to go with that one till a real HD version is out.

Nothing yet on Opera. By now, most of Argento's catalog is out in hi-def (though most with problematic transfers), but the rightsholders for this one have never worked out a deal with anybody to do it in HD.

Zombie/Zombi 2, it's a necessity to get the UK disc from Arrow Video. Great transfer struck from a much better master than what Blue Underground did for their release. Looks like film; BU's looks like noisy video like most every other master coming out of Rome. Region B, though.

Cemetery Man looks good for an Italian master, but also Region B. I own the Italian release, looks nice, has the original Dellamorte Dellamore title screen and credits. Holy FUCK that's one of my most top favorite movies ever; the theme music started playing in my head and I popped massive wood over the perfect ambience and tone of that flick.

I'll type some more later based on your current list and think up some recommendations also.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 6:11 pm

That Street Trash Blu is bonerific.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Anything you're curious about transfer-wise, this site has full-res comparison shots for a lot of cult flicks:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_overview.php
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Yeah, you really can't go wrong with anything Synapse does (the label Street Trash is on).  Anyways I love all of these films, and they all have solid releases for the most part (Black Christmas and Deep Red being the exceptions)

Black Christmas
Black Death
Boys from Brazil (import)
Company of Wolves (import)
Crawlspace
Cronos ($$)
Deep Red
Deep Rising (2-pack with Puppet Masters)
Devil's Backbone, The ($$)
Embodiment of Evil
Frankenhooker
From Beyond
Hardware ($$)
House (Hausu) ($$)
Innkeepers, The
In the Mouth of Madness
Let Me In
Let the Right One In
Naked Lunch
Night of the Creeps
Other, The ($$$)
Repo Man
Rolling Thunder
Santa Sangre
Stepfather, The
Vincent Price Boxset

...and then these guys are all a little more low-budget and/or exploitative, but I really enjoy them:

Blood Trilogy, The
Boogens, The
Burial Ground
Burning, The
Death Race 2000
Demons ($$$$)
Demons 2 ($$$$)
Exterminator, The
Humanoids from the Deep
Father's Day
Forbidden World
Manson Family, The
Neon Maniacs ($$)
New York Ripper, The
Night Train Murders, The
Riki-Oh
Savage Streets ($$)
Shogun Assassin Boxset (ignore the Lone Wolf and Cub set)

...and finally if you're into old Hammer or Hammer-style stuff, usually with Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing

Countess Dracula
Dracula Prince of Darkness
Frankenstein Created Woman
Hands of the Ripper
Horror Express, The
Twins of Evil
Vampire Lovers, The

And there's quite a few coming out this year too; Nightbreed, Ginger Snaps, Phenomena, Tenebre, The Blob, etc.

Last edited by jthefrank on Mon May 19, 2014 6:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 6:36 pm

You can also gauge a lot by the label

Synapse = film will look great
Grindhouse = film will look great
Blue Underground = will probably look okay, if it's an Italian film it will probably look like shit
Image = will probably be shitty
Mill Creek = shitty
Echo Bridge = shitty
Criterion = great
Arrow = anything older than a few years is probably shit, anything newer is probably great
Scream/Shout Factory = probably okay
Scorpion = okay
Code Red = decent
Severin = probably pretty shitty
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 10:30 pm

That label breakdown is pretty spot-on. Only thing I would add is that Blue Underground do some of the absolute best compression out of all those labels, the only thing is the transfers they license aren't always top-notch. Their own transfers for Maniac Cop 2 and 3 are some of the best I've seen. Lustig kinda botched Maniac, though; there's a bit more detail than the DVD, probably hurt by the source film, maybe it can't look any better, but where it kinda fails are the black levels which look super blue and gives the transfer an even softer appearance than it should have. You'll constantly feel like your vision is going blurry watching it, but it is an improvement over the DVD, especially with the boost in color and grain structure. Could have been better, but it's not terrible.

As for Criterion, you can't always trust them to do a good job. Sometimes the masters they license from studios are absolute shit (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a prime example) and probably should have never been released when it's already been released by one of the big studios and looks virtually the same, but when they score a good master or do their own telecine, their compression work and that is really good.

Continuing on:

Halloween is problematic. You pretty much have two transfers that look good but the color timing in both have been debated for a while. Some swear by the old shit-ass Anchor Bay DVD (pre-DiviMax) being the best release because of its colors having a heavy "autumn orange" push and a strong blue tint at night, which are lacking from either Blu-ray. The first one uses the DiviMax master and looks pretty good despite no heavy blue lighting during nighttime scenes, which is a cool effect; the 35th anniversary BD has a brand-new telecine which looks awesome and highly detailed, but it almost goes in the exact opposite direction of the old Anchor Bay DVD, utilizing very cool and muted timing as opposed to the warm, more colorful approach to the old DVD. Both the old DVD and the 35th anni BD were supposedly approved by the DP, Dean Cundey, and in defense of that, equipment for doing color timing has advanced so far since he did the DVD so it's not entirely outrageous that they're timed so wildly differently, but it does make you wonder which is the way the movie is "supposed to look."

There's a box set coming out containing every Halloween movie including Rob Zombie's two, and it features both HD transfers for the first film, and also adds the original theatrical mono track (not on the standalone 35th anni BD despite saying so on the case). Some other noteworthy bits are the "producers' cut" of Curse of Michael Myers and probably some other shit about those shitty movies that I don't shittin' care about.

Texas Chain Saw looks good if you get the UK BD (all-region), but there's a new 4K scan coming out which may look way better.

The Descent has a good BD if you can manage to find the version encoded with AVC and not the more common MPEG-2 version. There's pretty much no way to discern which is which, unfortunately; I lucked out several years ago by finding one at a closing Circuit City, but I still had to pay full MSRP (something like $30 plus tax). There is, however, an Australian disc (all-region) that looks really good and has richer color timing. I like both so I've kept both, and I suppose it's a matter of preference. There's a screenshot comparison of the two here. No idea if any of the other overseas discs look like the Aussie one.

The Evil Deads all look good on Blu-ray. Anchor Bay disc for the first one is great and has both open matte and widescreen transfers, but unlike the previous widescreen DVD, the cropping is custom rather than a straight matting, so each scene is framed appropriately to get the best view and might actually be my favorite way to see the film after preferring open matte all the years prior. (The 16:9 DVDs barely showed the Band-Aid tin in the puddle of blood near the end; it's featured prominently on the 16:9 BD transfer.)

Evil Dead II BD by Lionsgate is the one to go for. Avoid that turd put out by Anchor Bay, awful transfer.

Army of Darkness pretty much only looks good if you import the French or German discs, and even then it's only the director's cut that looks any good. The former is more affordable and is region-free. The director's cut shits all over the theatrical cut, though, and it's slightly extended from the Anchor Bay DVD. It's from an old master that's over ten years old, but it looks good in motion and was sourced entirely from a 35mm print (unlike AB's DVD where the DC footage all came from a tape that looked like a dirty asshole).

I Spit on Your Grave got an awesome Blu-ray from Anchor Bay, and it retains the Joe Bob Briggs commentary (where he uses the word "byoo-tocks").

Night of the Living Dead original has a good BD in Japan that's affordable if you catch it on CDJapan at the right time (Japanese discs are Region A). Note that the best HD transfers for the movie, while 4:3 and looking really good, are heavily cropped from, say, the Millennium Edition DVD, compared here. The framing looks fine to my eyes, and it was approved by Romero, but some are bugged by it.

Savini's remake is only available on an OOP BD which'll cost a pretty penny, and the timing on it is universally regarded as botched. Really muted, really blue (compare), day scenes look nothing like day or dusk or anything resembling anything real under a sky that's clearly sunny and not overcast, BUT DESPITE THAT, I think it looks awesome. Once you get into the interior of the house, the muted tones give it a really unsettling atmosphere and I'm happy to own the Blu-ray, but I can see why people hate it. A decent HD transfer with color timing closer to the DVD is streaming on Netflix; or if you want to "own" a download version, it's in 1080p on VUDU and probably Amazon Instant and other places.

Dawn of the Dead looks pretty "eh" no matter where you pick it up from, although there's a recent Japanese box set which features new transfers of every cut of the film, and it looks quite nice, but has a sickly green tint at times. Still looks awesome, but it'll cost you over $100 to import (before shipping) so I'm hoping for somebody to do a similar set with the same transfers for cheaper.

Day of the Dead looks good if you get the Shout!/Scream Factory release.

And for what it's worth, if you want to pick up the Dawn remake, the US BD censors this shot of titties, while the Region B French BD doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon May 19, 2014 11:39 pm

As for recommendations, one I can think of right off the dick is Intruder. Written/directed by the guy who co-wrote Evil Dead II, it's an unusual slasher with some artsy camera work and intentional silliness factor, but the gore effects are off-the-wall grotesque and disturbing. Solid movie all-around, awesome Blu-ray from Synapse, one of the finer gems I've discovered in the past few years.

Seconding Frankenhooker, possibly Henenlotter's best film (or tied with Basket Case), nice BD. Brain Damage still needs a BD release.

The Toxic Avenger is coming shortly, easily Lloyd Kaufman/Troma's best. Your assumptions are correct about Poultrygeist: it's pretty damn shitty outside of the tits and carnage. Awful musical bits, but a much better film than Lloyd's latest.

Mother's Day (1980) is a must. Bizarre rape/revenge flick with some twists and turns, well-made despite its low budget, directed by Charles Kaufman but better and more competently made than almost everything by his brother, awesome BD.

Somewhat but not really related: Father's Day, funded by Troma, directed by a team of five guys called Astron-6 who are like a modern Monty Python in my mind. Hilarious and exceptionally well-made, better than just about anything Troma. Hard to say which BD to pick up because the US one isn't the final cut (extra post effects and finalized color timing), but the foreign ones are pricy as hell and probably region-locked. Standard US Blu will probably suit most people fine, myself included until an affordable, more definitive disc is out.

Dear God No! is a '70s style exploitation biker/horror flick I can't recommend enough, better than most "throwbacks" that've come out. Only way currently to get it on Blu is to buy a VHS combo pack from eBay for $30, if that particular limited edition is still even available.

And when they eventually come out from Grindhouse, I Drink Your Blood and Pieces are must-haves. The latter is on the shittier end of the spectrum, but its bonkersness makes up for that. Cannibal Ferox is a nice Cannibal Holocaust ripoff.

Not horror but Criterion's Repo Man disc is awesome and has some of the coolest digipak art. It's Repo Man, everybody needs to own it.

From Beyond is great, as are House (Hausu) and Embodiment of Evil as Frank suggested. That last one is the third in a series but gives enough backstory to be a good standalone; the first two are Brazilian movies from the '60s called At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul and This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse, both awesome; Embodiment is the last of the Coffin Joe trilogy and closes the chapter nicely. The first two will be coming out on DVD from Synapse eventually; the previous DVDs had cropped (and non-anamorphic) transfers when the movies are meant to be seen 4:3. No HD masters exist to Don May's (Synapse) knowledge.

I'll second The House of the Devil, one of the best horror movies to come out in a while. Bit of a '70s aesthetic, really reminds me of classy movies like The Legend of Hell House for some reason.

On that note, you're a fag if you haven't seen and fallen in love with The Cabin in the Woods, so get on that if you haven't. The Evil Dead remake is also good.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Tue May 20, 2014 2:27 am

I don't think that Cabin in the Woods is r_z's type of movie.  Tongue 
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Fri May 30, 2014 4:10 am

r_z, if you see this before June 1st and have Netflix, check out The Lair of the White Worm. Surreal horror movie with a dark comedy streak. Reminds me of Cemetery Man due to its mood and it likewise starring a famous British romantic comedy actor. Really awesome, hope it gets a Blu-ray soon.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Fri May 30, 2014 4:32 am

But Hellashitty Hellashitty (Cemetary Man) is puuptacular, duud.

Way too much shit in here, and I want to sample lots of what's recommended. Any places that have regularly good prices/sales? The studios webshops themselves, or even like a deepdiscount sale where they don't up the price to near-retail the night before? I've put a few things in my Amazon save for later cart, which updates you every time you sign in about what things have risen or fallen in price, and everything from these known horror studios stay not only fairly high in price but basically identical. Usually things adjust often at Amazon, even if only by a few cents every other day or something, but everything I've added so far has been constant at the price it was at when I originally set them in my cart. I was planning on just dropping a hundred bucks on whatever sounded good, but I was really hoping that would get me more than five movies.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Fri May 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Yeah, unless you are willing to pay $20+ for most of those titles, or $15+ for the rest, you have to wait for label-specific sales to happen. Abs is pretty good at informing me of those, as well as keeping tabs on these two pages:

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?sortby=time&category=bluray
http://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

It will only get worse as more releases are put out as limited editions too
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Fri May 30, 2014 2:54 pm

DeepDiscount apparently has its 25% off "select items" sale with the code bigsale. Gonna see if there's anything worth having.

Prices on Blu-rays are getting ridiculous. You won't often be finding $6 movies like with DVD, especially when several titles are limited editions going for $25 with no discount option. I wanna get the movie Possession, but depending on which packaged version you pick up, it's $40 or $60, which is making me think I should just get the Region B release (same transfer) for $25 and be done with it.

But f'realz, Lair of the White Worm. Check it out, you fockers. I'm tempted to watch it a third time before it disappears this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Fri May 30, 2014 4:06 pm

But the one good thing about the limited model is getting back what you paid if not a profit. Just made back all my money on that steaming shit pile called The Jekyll and Hyde Portfolio.

Still don't have any other BDs that'll get me $150 like Fright Night did.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Fri May 30, 2014 4:08 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-of-the-Dead-Blu-ray/dp/B002KMR022/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1401480584&sr=1-6&keywords=dawn+of+the+dead

...and to think that mine is only opened because I wanted to get the poster out.  Gah!
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Fri May 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Don't people realize that for much less they could import the Japanese set with its multiple cuts and superior transfers?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:16 pm

So that whole "I wanna spend about $100" thought just got completely shit on and ground up and then shit on again. First of all, I put way more than five or six movies in my cart. Then I started comparing to Amazon and found things cheaper there despite the deepdiscount sale, and that just turned into a free-for-all of, "Oh shit, this I had in the cart at the other store but it's cheaper over here, that means I HAVE to buy it, just cuz I found it cheaper. CAN'T PASS IT UP". Classic dumbass-ery. Then I also of course had notices from Amazon about other regular studio films that had dropped in price and that made me do more cross-comparisons and add even more to my carts. In the end, this is what I came away with:

Amazon order:

Back to the Future Trilogy ($26. I see many different Blu versions, including obvious region Bs that aren't correctly listed, so I went with the cheapest North American region A copy. I love rewatching these a couple times a year, so it'll be a welcome upgrade to my old DVDs, for sure)

Basket Case Trilogy Limited Edition Region-Free Blu-Ray Steelbook ($46. Sure hope this works on my player. I went to Amazon UK, cuz I saw some reviews that said it were still cheaper to just import it, but there it said region free but still PAL. In the end I went with the NA Amazon that didn't say it was PAL for ~$46)

Burn After Reading ($6. Fuck anybody who thinks the Coen Bros aren't "making endings for their movies anymore" and can't handle their storytelling. Love this movie)

Inside Llewn Davis ($15. see above. Best movie I saw in the theater last year)

Nebraska ($12. Not nearly as good as Sideways, but I still really liked it and it had a sudden huge pricedrop to $12)

No Country for Old Men ($5 Blu. Gimme gimme)

Nothing to Lose ($6. Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence. You heard me. Love this movie)

Piranha (Roger Corman '78) (Pricedrop to $10. Also, just found out through imdb's page for the movie that its OAR is 1.78:1. I'd seen this movie a hundred times on 4:3 VHS as a kid and of course didn't know any better, and when I bought the DVD it was still 4:3 and I guess I somehow didn't notice or think any different because I had seen it so many times. Or maybe because it was otherwise a high quality, super-special edition DVD that I assumed they couldn't have possibly messed up the OAR)

So I Married an Axe Murderer ($10. Haven't seen this in a decade or more. Remember loving it, including some specific parts I remember in detail as being extremely funny. Hope it still holds up)

Deepdiscount order:

Evilspeak ($15. Never heard of this, but it was suggested based on other things in my cart. Early 80s sci-fi/horror gore flick with Clint Howard? Obvious purchase)

Father's Day (Went with the 4-Disc Blu from Deepdiscount for $28. Retail was $60, figured it might hold its value later on if I hate it)

Frankenhooker ($13. Always paid attention to all of Abs's gushing about this so finally caved cuz of its low price. Not sure how good I think it really looks from stills and trailers, though)

From Beyond ($17. Really liked the cover art and stills and the price was ok)

Hudsucker Proxy ($14. One of the few Coen Bros movies I have still yet to see. Bummed that the Blu-Ray's not cheap since it's a catalog title with I believe no special features. ~$14 after sale discount at Deepdiscount is cheapest I've ever seen it, so I figured it was time finally)

Intruder ($15. Loved the cover art and stills, Abs's's's's's description was convincing and price was right. I'm in.)

Killing Them Softly ($13. Newly released Stelbook edition with I'm assuming an otherwise identical disc and near-identical artwork. Oh well. Movie's decent, even if a huge drop off from Jesse James, but been wanting to rewatch since I saw in theaters and this was cheaper than the regular edition)

The Last Waltz ($7. Considering the quality of the audio and video on the DVD, not to mention the content of the concert itself, always wanted to upgrade my old DVD to take better advantage of my bigger TV and stereo. Finally bit on it for a $7 price)

Mother's Day ($15. Price and praise alone is what got me in here)

Naked Lunch Criterion Blu ($22. Been wanting to see this, and read the book, forever. Finally gonna happen)

Repo Man Criterion Blu ($22. Honestly, despite its age and cult following and overall positive reviews, I couldn't tell you for sure if I've ever seen this. I think I did when I was a kid, but I doubt I remember anything)

Road To Perdition ($10. Always heard great things about this but never saw it. Suffered the same fate as Hudsucker Proxy and just coudn't be had for a good price on Blu. Think it was $10 at Deepdiscount)

Slumber Party Massacre Blu and Slumber Party Massacre Collection DVD ($15 Each. Think I've seen the first, probably none of the sequels. Don't expect much from these except nacho cheese covered titties)

Street Trash ($12. Wanted the Meltdown DVD when it came out years ago but never went for it. Great price. Stoked for this as much as anything else)

They Live ($17. Know I've seen it more than once, but definitely don't remember it. Probably was less than 8 the last time I saw it)

Something I forgot to look up was Chopping Mall. I love that movie. Just did now though and don't see a Blu or even a recent DVD. That's one I'll have to keep an eye out for in the future.

Did I do shitty on selection? Obvious shit I leave out? Coulda done way better on prices?
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:49 pm

I think Chopping Mall is stuck in some sort of rights churn as far as Blu Ray goes

And I read Naked Lunch last year. By far the strangest "book" I've ever read.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:03 am

I'm pretty sure Chopping Mall was supposed to come to Blu-ray but something is preventing that.

Ordering imports from Amazon country of origin is definitely cheaper. HD content is pretty much the same clear across the board so you can ignore anything that says PAL since the video playback is almost always the same (aside from region restrictions). There are a few exceptions that are 1080i 50Hz, though, and those won't play unless your TV and BD player handle 50Hz.

(Oh, and extras will sometimes be in standard definition, in which case European discs would have PAL content that you couldn't watch.)

Last edited by Abnormal Freak on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:21 pm

jthefrank wrote:

And I read Naked Lunch last year.  By far the strangest "book" I've ever read.

And one of the strangest "movies" you've ever seen. :p
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:38 pm

The movie is as straightforward as a romantic comedy compared to the book.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:22 am

By the way, r_z, if you ever intend to get Fargo on BD, pick up the remastered version. I'm pretty sure it's from the same master, but the newer one is pre-Edge Enhancement and actually looks like film as opposed to artificially sharpened, noise-riddled video.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays   Today at 9:58 pm

Back to top Go down

Recommend me quality horror/cult/exploitation Blu-Rays
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next