Share | 

True Detective

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: True Detective   Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Holy hell this show is amazing. Very "slow burn" but the writing and performances are just phenomenal. I always thought Matthew McConaughey had a ton of potential, and he is absolutely perfect in this.

Anyone else watching?
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:03 pm

I've been watching from the very beginning. It's great, and I can't believe it's all going to be over in only 2 more episodes.

I've always been a McConaughey fan, even though I couldn't always explain why. He's definitely making it clear now.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Yeah, I loved him in Contact and Reign of Fire. Great to see him doing legit stuff now.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:52 am

Yes. This show is fucking awesome. I've been watching this and House of Cards recently. Both great.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:26 am

I marathoned ep 1-5 last week when I was home sick. Epic HBO.

There are some issues with it on some basic genre-trope level (serial killer, ritualistic murders, targets prostitutes and outcasts… again? really?), but the execution is literally flawless.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:21 am

Been hearing great things, but like most HBO things, I pretty much wait for dvd/blu-ray.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:18 am

I have a pretty big feeling this is going to be spoiled for you by then. Feels like a series people would enjoy spoiling.

I actually signed up for HBO Nordic to watch it. They still haven't got a Playstation app, which sucks, as Netflix on PS is great, but I figure I could use my iPad until then. I just can't wrap my head around how shitty the UI is compared to Netflix. I would think a company like HBO would have the cash to provide some good tech.

True Detective totally made it worth the first month's charge anyway.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Shrike wrote:

There are some issues with it on some basic genre-trope level (serial killer, ritualistic murders, targets prostitutes and outcasts… again? really?), but the execution is literally flawless.

That's very true. I was trying to explain to my friend why it was so great and I couldn't really describe it literally, because if you do, it just sounds like a generic cop thriller.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:22 pm

The answer to that question what makes it great would pretty much be: because Mcconaughey.

The thing that you could sell them on is that narratively it's interesting with the way the story is framed as a retelling, from two different perspectives, where there's lots of history and untold relationships you get to figure out along the way. That part should be instantly engaging.

And you know, the fact that it's gorgeous and hilarious.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:59 pm

It's a, so far, somewhat generic cop thriller told in a non-generic way with non-generic lead characters, and one very non-generic character in particular.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:09 pm

Last night's episode was a bit disappointing in the sense that to properly finish this show they probably need another 3 episodes minimum. Unless its a 2 hour show next week I am concerned that the whole ending will feel incredibly rushed and anticlimactic.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:44 am

Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Cghost21 wrote:
Last night's episode was a bit disappointing in the sense that to properly finish this show they probably need another 3 episodes minimum. Unless its a 2 hour show next week I am concerned that the whole ending will feel incredibly rushed and anticlimactic.

I have a feeling they'll make a nod to the whole "time is a flat circle" stuff and leave us intentionally very unfulfilled. I'm expecting an intentional anticlimax.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:58 pm

I was reading an interview with the director and he said that he wanted this show to kind of be an anti-modern TV show. Modern shows are pretty much all based around cliffhangers, twists, and huge spoilers, and he said he kind of wanted to go against that and just make a compelling character study.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:53 pm

I'm kind of expecting the finale to be something like the season finales in The Wire. Same vibe, but maybe less wrapping up (since it's basically just about Marty and Rust, there's nothing really to wrap up).

I love the fact that for all the time spent in this place, there are really only two characters that matter. I can't remember another hour long drama show that has had this much focus on so few characters.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:14 pm

Shrike wrote:
Cghost21 wrote:

I have a feeling they'll make a nod to the whole "time is a flat circle" stuff and leave us intentionally very unfulfilled. I'm expecting an intentional anticlimax.

Which unless perfectly executed will be really irritating and likely piss away most of what this was building towards.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:43 pm

So it's done now. The direction of the final episode was razor sharp.
Spoiler:

All in all I'm completely satisfied with this. I didn't feel the ending was rushed. They tied it up just enough in terms of what was required of the basic premise. The characters had their nice arc (or lack thereof).

Great TV. Here's hoping this one-season format takes off. But this might have been a perfect storm kind of a thing.

Last edited by Shrike on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Yeah, it all came together quite nicely. Also, I found Marty's handling of the final scene quite skillful. Sometimes, a deflection like that is far more successful at handling a situation and helping someone get through something rather than trying add anything to what was just said. Especially when what was said was quite epic, for lack of a better word.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:30 pm

That ending was amazing. The "maze", the Cosmic Horror style hallucinations, the ending monologue. As a whole, I honestly like this first True Detective story more than the entirety of Breaking Bad. TD doesn't have any annoying characters or rely on manipulative editing/pacing choices to draw you in. It's really just masterfully executed.

And I know a lot of you saw me say this on Facebook already, but FUCK IT.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Just out of interest. What do you mean by "manipulative editing"?
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Making every exciting/important event happening in the last 5-10 minutes of the episode.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Pretty good series. Complaints are relatively minor but they couldn't have done much more with 8 episodes. Really, the whole miniseries needed to be 12 at least for it to have resolved properly.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:14 pm

Electroretard wrote:
Making every exciting/important event happening in the last 5-10 minutes of the episode.

Figured that's what you were saying. But I think the build up within each episode usually earns them that payoff.

I'm not sure how it'll fly once you rewatch it though. I've still only seen it the once.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Sooo.....why is season 2 so stupid?

I haven't watched it at all, it just sounds all so terrible. Vince Vaughn? Rachel McAdams? Colin Farrell? Crappy tv directors and the guy from the Fast and the Furious movies? Did everybody involved in season 2 not watch the first one? I watched the trailer and it looked lame.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:35 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Sooo.....why is season 2 so stupid?

I haven't watched it at all, it just sounds all so terrible. Vince Vaughn? Rachel McAdams? Colin Farrell? Crappy tv directors and the guy from the Fast and the Furious movies? Did everybody involved in season 2 not watch the first one? I watched the trailer and it looked lame.

The actors are doing fine, it's the writing that's terrible. The story makes absolutely no sense and things happen for no obvious reason. I have no idea why they decided to have *four* main characters. It's so fucking bloated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: True Detective   Today at 2:44 pm

Back to top Go down

True Detective
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next