Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Radagast: folk-black metal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Radagast: folk-black metal   Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:51 pm

I left the descriptor "Cascadian" out of the title cuz it seems to be a detractor just as much as an attractor lol. Plus it'd be another instance of calling a band "Cascadian" by sound and ideology and not actual geographical location. But this is really good. Free stream/download of the one and only song they've ever recorded (20+ minutes) on bandcamp:

http://radagast.bandcamp.com/

Reminds me a bit of a less raw Bleak/Twilight Falls, maybe even Sleepwalker. Definitely in line with more known acts like Alda and Skagos as well, but with vocals more heavily aligned to crust, in a very good way. This single release came out sixteen months ago, and I have no idea if there's any intention or even any thought from the members to continue with any more under the Radagast name. Seems like it kind of came about on a whim anyway. There's a bit of backstory I found on a blog that most would probably find silly but that I think is still interesting:

Radagast began with Mark Tierney (the talent behind the project, and drummer of blackened crust-grind band Redneck Warmachine) and his friends entertaining themselves by exploring acoustic instrumentation when living in a D.I.Y. squatted treehouse in the foothills of Mt. Tamalpais.  "An earthly sacrament" being Radagasts' sole release so far, came out just around the time authorities were locating and forcibly removing the Treehouse origin of the project (fondly called  Endor by many) in september 2012. Though Mark Tierney has yet to release a sequel to the 22:51 min epic "An Earthly Sacrament", the acoustic interludes that led to the release continue to be developed by members of the now deteriorated nexus that made up the community at Endor."

[edit 8/11/2014]: Stricken from the record (but included struckthrough for context haha). Apparently that backstory is either made up or embellished, so says Mark Tierney who asked me to edit the post.

Last edited by roughdraft_zero on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Radagast: folk-black metal   Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Ewok Black Metal? Yub muthafucking yub.

I enjoy this. Reminds me a bit of Petrychor's earlier stuff, but more analogue.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Radagast: folk-black metal   Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:42 pm

I enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Radagast: folk-black metal   Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:59 pm

I thought Petrychor also but Petrychor's too technical and wanky, even if the atmosphere's similar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radagast: folk-black metal   Today at 4:08 pm

Back to top Go down

Radagast: folk-black metal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1