HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:15 pm

why

seriously:

1. What bands/types of metal did you used to like? Why don't you like them now?

2. Are there any that you still do enjoy today, despite not liking the genre as a whole anymore? What is it about them that, you feel, transcends their metalness?

3. What, if anything, do you listen to instead of metal now? Why?
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:57 pm

I still like metal so this may not apply to me. I've became much more of a powerviolence hardcore fan lately just because there's a lack of aggression in a lot of metal music. A lot of thrash, death, and black metal bands are way too wrapped up in playing what has been played for 30+ years and it gets really old after a while.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:34 am

"Those of you" a.k.a. me lol.

I'll just copy-paste this shit I wrote a year ago but came to my attention today because somebody liked it due to G+ and YouTube being so stupidly integrated that my post shows up under the YT video.

Quote :
I had a bit of an epiphany tonight. I realized that the music I like most is something I have an emotional response to. It's always been there, I've always known this, but it never quite hit me on a conscious level, an awareness to which I'd say, "What draws me to the music I like are the emotions conveyed." I always thought it was the cool sounds, the nifty hooks and melodies—and that stuff certainly is pivotal to my enjoyment of music—but if it doesn't elicit some kind of impetuous response, it's severely lacking and my interest in it doesn't last.

Which could explain why heavy metal mostly bores me these days. The initial thrill from new and heavy sounds has waned, and the temperamental qualities are spent. That's not to say that heavy metal doesn't exhibit emotion, but save for a few bands, there's no connect with me anymore. I'm a sensitive wimp, and my favorite music tends to reflect that.

So here's one of those songs from one of those albums that always gets my neurotransmitters firing.

I was warned...
Absolutely numb
...No good around people...
Everyone knows, and watches me.

How did I get here tonight?
What am I doing here?
How did I reach this state?
How did I lose my sight?

I'm lost ... I'm freaking
And everybody knows ... everyone's watching

...So here's all my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, it's so lonely...
So yeah, a lot of it's an emotional resonance thing. That SYL song still taps that part of the brain, not just because of the lyrics but also the sounds. I can actually feel the insecurity and anger in it, whereas a lot of metal is just "BLAW BLAWE WRAH AAAHHHHHH!" (death vox) and uninteresting to me now and doesn't really convey much. It did once, and it catered to a certain anger I had at the time, but nowadays I just find it unappealing and off-putting.

Mostly I liked death metal and tech death, never much cared for black or thrash. And of course avant-garde type stuff, which I still enjoy to some degree, but not enough to seek out new music. A lot of it comes down to finding the sounds themselves really boring; the guitar-bass-drums-vox quad is rather dull to me now, and the emphasis on heaviness in a lot of metal leaves no room for dynamics, musical or otherwise. It all just turns into obnoxious noise for me that doesn't signify anything.

Stuff with outside influences—the avant-garde metal that incorporates other instruments and genres—is more compelling to me, but even there I haven't listened to much of it in a long time. I bought like a bunch of Kekal CDs some years ago and still have only familiarized myself with one of them, lol.

I also just haven't really listened to much music in the past several years. Like, I used to just sit in my room and listen to some awesome music, sometimes for hours, but most of the time I only listen to music while doing something else. I got bored with it somehow and would rather spend my time doing other things—and when driving, I'd rather listen to stuff I can sing along to.

I'll also admit that a lot of metal has a certain challenging quality to it, and my interest in challenging music has waned considerably. In my teens I was seeking out weird-ass metal and industrial that was somewhat difficult to get into but rewarding when you really caught the vibe, but even stuff I used to love and listen to frequently just sounds chaotic and uncomfortable now. I don't even listen to my Einstuerzende Neubauten albums anymore, and they're not even a terribly indigestible band, but it just don't groove with me these days.

I'm more likely to listen to something that's easier on the ears, catchy, poppy, and with good synthesizers and production than what I perceive to be a more raw, "unproduced," chaotic, noisy mess of emptiness. And on that front I tend to enjoy stuff more that gives me a good feeling, though I like the occasional dips into manic-depressive insanity that early SYL and Devin Townsend give me.

That answers another question: I still like SYL/DT. I also like some of my other old favorites like Sigh and Solefald, but rarely listen to either. Then again, I rarely listen to any music save for the occasional album that really grabs me.

This is some of the shit I've enjoyed over the past year, mostly electronic:

Download - SAW CRUST
http://metropolisrecords.bandcamp.com/track/saw-crust

Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:40 am

And when it does come to guitar-bass-drums-vox stuff, I'm more likely to enjoy some noisy rock from the '70s or something done today that manages not to suck a donkey's nuts. To me there's a heaviness and aggression in a lot of that which I don't hear or feel in metal, because there's actual context or dynamics to it and it's not strictly wall-of-sound ear blasting.

Fecking Iggy Pop (solo and with The Stooges) has been my idol the past few years.

Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:54 am

Also gotta mention that industrial and hard electronics are what initially got me into music as an obsession and active interest beyond just some tapes or CDs lying around that my family had growing up (Yanni, Vangelis, Weird Al, video game music). Synth pop followed shortly after. Some of the "real" metal I liked in junior high was stuff like Metallica and cheesy shit like Queensryche, but Opeth some years later was my exposure to extreme metal. My love of metal kind of turned out to be a phase of sorts, I suppose, though stuff like !T.O.O.H.! is fun to go back to once in a while. I was actually playing in my head the last song on Pod vladou bice while making a delivery tonight, ha.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:46 pm

I like metal.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Yeah I still love metal. It's why you guys bash my musical taste all the time.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:34 pm

I probably like metal more than you do. you just like shitty metal.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:47 pm

I've been a pretty consistent metal listener for over 20 years now. I don't think it's going to change anytime soon. There was a while where metal was just about all I listened to, but around 10 years ago I simultaneously started branching out to quite a bit of non-metal stuff but also harsher more underground metal. (By that I don't mean extreme metal in general, but more like 4-track BM recorded by a guy in his basement.) It provided a weird balance, but metal still is my most listened to genre by far.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:00 pm

One of my weirder balances was coming home the same day with Nile's In Their Darkened Shrines and t.A.T.u.'s debut plus a new set of headphones. Swapped both out regularly.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:54 am

I luv the metalz.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:52 am

Ab, I know C.ghost also seems to dislike most metal today, but you were definitely one of the people I had in mind Tongue

I really liked that Map song (is that the name of the song or the artist) and the Tweeker song Happy The latter in particular appeals to my electronic-music sensibilities.

It's cool that you know what you like, but I personally love metal. I like the way really heavy guitars (especially if they're doing cool riffs) sound, which is something most genres don't feature, even if they do have guitar work in general. I don't like most rock, personally, because in comparison to metal, it feels less engaging. Usually I think to myself "Why should I listen to this, when I can listen to something that's much heavier and more exciting and interesting to me?" I do like some non-metal stuff though; usually electronic/pop stuff, but for different reasons than why I like metal. There's a handful of rock I enjoy, but I usually find it to occupy some weird middle-ground between the two, where it's not as heavy and intense as metal, yet it's also not as nice and happy as pop, so I end up not liking it as much.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:22 am

Frankmusik is the name of the dude who did "Map". He did a great album, then did a shit album, and then came back to do another great album.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:56 pm

I honestly don't think I've listened to a non-metal band in like 4 months. I guess Karl Sanders' solo album counts since it's just acoustic/ambient shit, but still. It's Karl Sanders from Nile...
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:46 pm

I always think about fried chicken whenever I listen to Nile.

I'll post a detailed response to this thread later. Maybe.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Electroretard wrote:
I probably like metal more than you do.  you just like shitty metal.
What shitty metal do I listen to?
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Look at basically any thread you've started on this forum. Tons of press-approved "FUCKING EPIC" garbage.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Most popular metal is shitty metal.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Electroretard wrote:
Look at basically any thread you've started on this forum.  Tons of press-approved "FUCKING EPIC" garbage.
Did you ever stop and think that maybe you're a little too picky?
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm very picky. Why would I not listen to the best of the best stuff I can find? That's why I don't listen to every thing that comes out.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:39 pm

RespawnedDemon wrote:
Electroretard wrote:
Look at basically any thread you've started on this forum.  Tons of press-approved "FUCKING EPIC" garbage.
Did you ever stop and think that maybe you're a little too picky?
I can't believe that you don't realize how stupid you sound most of the time.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:12 pm

There's a difference between being picky with quality and being picky with the styles of music you listen to. Listening to a variety of music is important, and most of you guys seem to listen to three different subgenres of metal and that's basically it.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:23 pm

I don't see why it would be "important." I know what I like and it's usually different genres of electronic music. I'm not about to start looking for a bunch of jazz and rap albums for the sake of diversity. I used to diversify and it's probably what caused me to become disgruntled and narrow my tastes, lewl.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:30 pm

I think whether it's important or not depends on your commitment to music. So yeah, I guess I was being a little subjective. Still though, I take pride in liking a lot of different types of music.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:01 am

Most only listen to three subgenres of metal because only three subgenres of metal are decent. I mean, really, the majority of metal is just awful. One reason why I don't say I listen to metal when people ask what I like. I just say black metal or doom or something else.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it   Today at 4:42 pm

Back to top Go down

Those of you who once liked metal, but now dislike it
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next