The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:26 am

Everything else after just kept hitting that mark of "unique and good," but didn't knock me on my ass and take my breath away with even many repeated listens the way that Collapse (and to a slightly lesser degree, the self-titled debut also) was able to. I always appreciated not only his constant attempts but also consistently worthwhile achievements in both juxtaposing disparate styles of music as well as seamless blending of similar (but different) styles, all while maintaining a true-to-self individual passion and voice (it's also pretty dope that Lunn may well be literally THE coolest and most down to Earth person in the music biz, period). But Collapse just really does it for me for some reason. The level of awesome, emotional sympathy while listening is personally unmatched while taking in any of his other material, as good as it all may be. The excitement and relistenability mark had been lowered a few notches after that and sort of plateaued there, steadily hovering at a still very high level of course, just not ever again at what I considered to be "permanent favorite band" status like I was expecting followups to Collapse to elicit. The issue there is that the profound effect of Collapse was still loitering within me and I basically convinced myself that Panopticon was my favorite band, bar none. The realization/admission that the effect of the luster had dwindled was when Kentucky finally arrived. I liked it, and I still do, but I remember after my first listen thinking, "This is it?" Now remember, a response like that was the result of extremely high expectations and a bit of self-delusion. I love bluegrass, particularly the style of bluegrass that Lunn uses in Kentucky, but for me it was like a novelty that wore off because it wasn't used to its full potential. Collapse, on the other hand, blends folk/Americana (which I like more than bluegrass) with angry, aggressive black metal in a more cohesive and effective manner. To me, the blunt contrast of bluegrass and black metal on Kentucky, the way that they're two fighting camps at odds with each other in such a black-and-white, off-and-on kind of arrangement (despite often overlapping one another) just didn't hit it in just the right way. It wasn't cheesy or gimmicky, but still a novelty like I said that didn't quite always hold all the weight it was trying to carry. Social Disservices and especially Collapse did a better job of incorporating their non-metal elements to construct what was still a metal album first and foremost that happened to utilize outside influences to better demonstrate an immensely strong grasp on depth and dynamics.

That being said, that son of a bitch posted this on facebook:

"...as of today tracking for the new album is complete. it took over 2 years to write it all and about 9 months to track it all, but it is done. The album sees Johan Becker reprise his role on the fiddle (this time contributing MUCH more and with more diversity)... he also contributed some moog and sung vocals on a couple parts. Winterherz from Waldgeflüster was so kind to add sung vocals and screams to a song, Blondel De Nesle of Obsequiae fame contributed his voice, Ben Smith of When bitter spring sleeps and S.A.P. fame contributed vocals to 2 tracks, and Dave Condon, formerly of the mighty Altar of Plagues is currently working on his addition.
The album is over 70 minutes long and draws from many styles of metal as well as folk music and even some very dark neo classical influences. Conceptually, it is a very very personal and non political record. Musically is it diverse but is consistently more melancholic and melodic than my previous efforts.

The album will go to Colin Marston's studio in November and Art work and a release date will be announced in the coming weeks.
An announcement is coming this week regarding the future of Panopticon and the direction this project is taking (before you speculate, I am NOT quitting and I am NOT starting a live band...)
Thanks again for all of your support and patience. I really appreciate it. And for the folks who are waiting on their merch, it will be in your mail box as soon as possible.
-Austin"

The bolded/highlighted is exciting for me. I may be just getting my hopes up, but a 70-minute, melodic, melancholic, diverse album replete with lots of ("diverse") fiddle and dark neo-classical influence as well as guest vocalists, some of which do clean singing, and some motherfucking MOOG!!!??? Fuck. Crazy shit. I see this as competing with, if not at least approaching, the levels of the first two albums. And the split with Falls of Rauros should be equally exciting, namely because Falls of Rauros is an insanely good band in their own right.

Anyway, Kerr and Shrike are the only ones who care, and they probably don't even care enough to read/discuss. So whatever I guess.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:23 am

Wallllll offff texxxxxxxxtttttttttt.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:29 pm

You misspelled the words "wall," "of" and "text" in your post.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Well, I'm going to be the annoying asshole that's already heard the new album.

If you're expecting something along the lines of Collapse, well, don't. It sounds absolutely nothing like it and might as well be a different band. You can still tell it's Austin playing, but this album is really a whole new kind of thing for Panopticon. If I had to call it anything, I'd say it's like a kind of progressive melodic death metal. Of course, it still retains the folky/atmospheric stuff that Panopticon is known for, but it's definitely the most "metal" sounding album yet. Overall it just sounds really huge, which the clean vocal additions help a lot.

But having said that, I've only heard the album twice and it technically wasn't completed when I heard it. Becker hadn't added all his vocals yet, but he'd done the violin stuff already. I need more time with it, obviously, but I could see this becoming my favorite Panopticon album.

And back to your original point, I don't think it's really fair to compare all his albums. They're all about completely different shit and are trying to convey different moods, so it would make no sense for them to be similar. And I don't think you're saying you want each album to be a Collapse sequal, but I still like how different they all are. Social Disservices is probably my favorite.

And finally, the split with Falls fucking rules. It doesn't even sound like Panopticon. It basically sounds like Filosofem by Burzum, but with more fast parts. It's really stripped down. Only two guitars, bass, and drums. No keyboards, violin, acoustic, etc... Just straight up 2nd wave black metal.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Shoulda fuckin known, you damn dirty "insider".

Why wouldn't it be fair to compare them though? It's the same band lol. And I wasn't expecting Collapse stylistically, but just in terms of scope and my own personal appreciation. I'm not comparing them for how similar they are or aren't to each other, THAT would obviously be stupid since they are so different from one another. I appreciate the variety a ton as well, but like I said Collapse has always been the one that just did it for me the most.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Yeah, I mean it's like I'm disagreeing with you about anything. I think appreciation of music is tied to personal experience just as much as the actual music. It's why Metallica's Master of Puppets will never stop being my favorite album.

The reason I say I don't think it's fair to say that the other albums don't live up to your expectations is because they're not trying to, you know? They all tackle such different emotions, so of course they won't give you the same feeling.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Comparing them still makes sense to me for that very reason: because they are about different things and have different sounds, it's only natural that one or another would provoke a stronger sense of sympathetic emotion. I'm not talking an exact rating--one album deserves a 9.0 and this other one should be a 9.5 and therefore that one is the better album. There's not a lot of science or theory analysis behind what I'm saying, I'm just trying to convey my opinion that comes to the same conclusion as when you said, "I think appreciation of music is tied to personal experience just as much as the actual music."

Again, I'm not expecting a Collapse sequel or continuation, but merely I have anticipation that it may hit me as hard as Collapse did.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't think I've listened to an entire album from Panopticon still. I heard maybe half of Kentucky, half of Social Disservices, and half of the s/t. I enjoyed everything I heard, the albums just never seem to stick with me. I plan on DLing the entire discog sometime just to really give the music a shot. Based off what I heard though I preferred the s/t over Kentucky and Social Disservices
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:15 pm

s/t is my favorite after Collapse. It's the most raw and straightforward. Lots of post rock, but that obviously melds more inconspicuously with black metal compared to folk and bluegrass.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:27 pm

not really interested this time
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Yeah, you're wrong. Or rather, I see what you're saying, but don't agree.

I get exactly what you're saying with Kentucky vs Collapse in terms of integration vs on-off approach. However, to me that's kinda the point. In Kentucky it was him contrasting the bluegrass and the black metal to convey similar themes. Two styles, one message. And I think that the way the lyrics and the mood of each song connect are masterful. Take Black Soot and Red Blood, which starts out in almost DSBM-territory, describing the shitty working conditions, enter the voice-over of the old dude talking about the union stuggles, then it morphs into this ecstatic triumphant power-solo black metal when it's about the power of unity. It's not complex, but the way the composition echoes the narrative is still very, very, well done. And very few bands do it in such a consistent way.

For me that's his unique selling point. The dude can meld message and composition like very few can. Which is utterly apparent when you compare Social Disservices and Kentucky. They're both centered around different concepts, and the music actually conveys the concept of the album note by note.

All that said, I have a hard time picking a favorite. I definitely think the s/t is a notch below the rest, because while it has killer riffs, it lacks that cohesion that make the following albums so impressive.

I think Social Disservices or Subject of Mortality are probably tied for number one, with the rest in close, close succession.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Apparently Austin heard me and said, "You know what, FUCK YOU. But you're also right. Let me rape you the way I did the first time you heard Panopticon."

http://www.stereogum.com/1684784/panopticon-chase-the-grain-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

Shit. Fucking. Kills.

That's the closer track, and I can see why: it's fucking huge and grandiose, layered to hell and with complementing back and forth movements polished as shiny as anything I've ever heard in metal. Stellar. Can't wait to have all 70 minutes of it.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:59 am

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Apparently Austin heard me and said, "You know what, FUCK YOU. But you're also right. Let me rape you the way I did the first time you heard Panopticon."

http://www.stereogum.com/1684784/panopticon-chase-the-grain-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

Shit. Fucking. Kills.

That's the closer track, and I can see why: it's fucking huge and grandiose, layered to hell and with complementing back and forth movements polished as shiny as anything I've ever heard in metal. Stellar. Can't wait to have all 70 minutes of it.

i downloaded it but havent listened to it same with Burzum
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:19 am

Don't download it. The leaked version is a really bad quality webrip. No idea who leaked it, because pretty much no press copies were sent out.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:26 pm

New Burzum leaked? wut?

Like I said on FB, I'm going to wait until the entire album's available before listening. I've got my expectations way up high and don't want to ruin the album by overplaying the singles.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Speaking of Burzum leaking, on his official Youtube page he posted the entire album in fairly high quality. He said "This is "The Ways of Yore", published here in full to enable you to give it a good listen before you decide whether or not it is worth a purchase. Don't buy music that you grow tired of quickly! And don't steal music from musicians who make music you like."

A pretty cool thing to do, I thought. It's pretty much what you would expect from the new era of Burzum, but I thought it was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:20 pm

Burzum "leaked" in that Varg uploaded it. The new Panopticon also leaked, which is what I was referring to. It sounds super distorted and compressed compared to the real version, so I'd say don't download it and wait for a proper release.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:40 am

I saw the Burzum leak when he posted it... but I am just not interested in ambient Burzum. It's metal or no for me on him. As for Panopticon... I'll wait until it comes out. A good band/guy... but not something I'm just salivating for.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:13 am

New record up for pre-order from Bindrune, and new song posted:

bindrunerecordings.com

Was able to sneak in and snag one of the fifty "Northwoods" editions before they sold out. Kinda overpriced crap, but I am a schmucky fanboy, so whatevs.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:01 pm

The vinyl sounds so good. Listened to the test press last night and there were absolutely no issues.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:46 am

Ordered, but I skipped the Northwoods thing. I already have three Panopticon t-shirts, my turntable is wardrobe-placed right now so I don't need the mat. And the patch was… not aesthetically pleasing for me.

Also nice that they have proper EU-distribution (from Sweden no less) through Nordvis, so I don't have to deal with delivery that costs as much as the vinyl itself.

Hopefully that means that I don't have to wait too long for it to arrive too.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:36 pm

Oh man, I had never really listened to Panopticon before, and am checking out the new album now and it fucking kills!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)   Today at 6:12 pm

Back to top Go down

For me, Collapse was Panopticon's peak (talking about new material)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1