The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shrike

PostSubject: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:54 am

I was talking with a friend about upcoming albums and he was all like "oh, yeah, new Satyricon soon!".

So I was all like, "ehrm... they've sucked on everything after Nemesis Divina?"

So he was like, "dude, you have to listen to Age of Nero, it fucking rocks."

So I did, and it did.

I hated their black 'n roll vibe on Now, Diabolical and Volcano, so I'd written them off. But listening to Age of Nero, there's some thin-ice-treading wizardry going on here. They manage to perfectly keep it both in the realm of awesome black metal, but with a rock/heavy metal edge, without going all shitty. I don't know how they do it, but the album rips.

Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Yeah, I was mainly of the same opinion, but then I saw them live on the tour for Age of Nero. When seeing them I couldn't help but admit that some of the new shit was really good. So I went and checked out more of it. Yeah, it was good, but I wouldn't say it touches their old stuff still. It does sound really fucking good live, though.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Yeah, their first three are on a different tier entirely. No doubt. But they're pretty much classic albums, no fair to compare.

I'm a bit miffed that I missed the opportunity to see them live a few times. I was thinking "pay that much for just the odds of a Mother North encore?", but hell, it might have been worth it. I'll try to catch them in December.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:15 pm

I like some "black 'n roll" stuff, and I think Volcano is a pretty decent album, but I don't really care for this song. I feel like Satyricon's rock aspect is more along the lines of being boring, dull rock, as opposed to a band like Darkthrone.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:14 am

That's exactly the attitude I had. Before listening to Age of Nero.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:50 am

But I still have that feeling after listening to the song you posted.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:16 am

They were pretty meh when I saw them live. It was all of the black n roll material and their performance really couldn't have been more boring. Frost is a cool drummer, but he didn't really add anything
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:15 am

speaking of late Satyricon, new album leaked

http://rapidgator.net/file/9444e126b062239edb2d7e2b844931be/

password is 2012
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Yeah, was listening to the Close-up stream right now. Will download the leak too.

http://www.closeupmagazine.net/main.php?id=1819

I'm not that far in (fourth track). I'm liking it so far. The intro was kinda lame, but Tro Og Kraft and Our World Crumbes Tonight were tight.

Sometimes the drums still go black 'n roll, but it has a much slower vibe to it compared to Nero. They also have lots of dissonant, Opethian (or Deathspell-light) licks going on here and there which I really dig.

Edit: WTF @ Phoenix. Satyr crooning to pseudo-surfer riffs. Fucking tambourines?

Did not see this coming.

Edit2: Okay, so I'm done listening. Nekrohaven was pure black 'n roll boredom but aside from that it was solid throughout. Really liked it. Not in an album-of-the-year kinda way, but still.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:58 pm

that isnt Satyr on Phoenix but Sivert H°yem of ex rock band Madrugada
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Ancient Rune wrote:
that isnt Satyr on Phoenix but Sivert H°yem of ex rock band Madrugada
Kinda makes sense, figured he couldn't sing that well.

Honestly, I think that's my fave track so far. I really enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:57 pm

I always liked Volcano.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Volcano is a pretty neat album. I feel like sometimes certain songs will last a little too long, sort of like Metallica's work, but in general I liked it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.   Today at 2:53 pm

Back to top Go down

So I've reevaluated my stance on late Satyricon.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1