Share | 

100 favorite games of all time

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:06 am

I want to play the other games in that series at some point. Illusion of Gaia is the only one I've played. I really wish Terranigma had come out in the US Sad 
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm curious as to you having Quake so high Abs. For a guy who doesn't seem particularly high on online play, you went with a title famous for its online play...
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:38 pm

jthefrank wrote:
I'm curious as to you having Quake so high Abs.  For a guy who doesn't seem particularly high on online play, you went with a title famous for its online play...
You know Quake is also a single-player game, right? Tongue
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:48 pm

id put a huge amount of effort into the single player mode of that game. Starting with Quake II, their focus was primarily on deathmatch.

It's why I like the N64 Quake II over the original because it feels more in tune with the first game.

I've never once played the original game with people, not even on the N64, lol.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:55 pm

X-pert74 wrote:
jthefrank wrote:
I'm curious as to you having Quake so high Abs.  For a guy who doesn't seem particularly high on online play, you went with a title famous for its online play...
You know Quake is also a single-player game, right? Tongue
It's certainly not celebrated for its single player

I haven't played it though, for whatever reason I went from Doom II to Quake II with id games
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:19 pm

jthefrank wrote:
It's certainly not celebrated for its single player
It is by my brother and I, booooii.

It's seriously the greatest FPS ever made. Amazing level designs, smart enemy AI, great atmosphere and music, and it's the last big title of the "classic arcade-style FPS" genre where everything was just about shooting shit and having fun. (Sure, there's Serious Sam, but that was a throwback.) It was the culmination of all the years of talent id Software had stored up, along with some new talent that advanced things further. The last game where John Romero was relevant. The last game where John Carmack gave the teensiest shit for gameplay and design versus "let's make the coolest grafix ever."

It rocks dick, especially the first episode, and needs to be played by everyone fifty times.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:00 am

id's single-player modes for Doom, Doom II, and Quake are incredible. Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny aren't too shabby either. id might not be as great at making single-player modes today (Rage had some good aspects, but overall was less than the sum of its parts), but it would be a mistake to discount the fact that id has made some very good single-player FPSes.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:18 am

Quake 3 arena I would say was more praised for it's multiplayer than Quake 1 and 2.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:17 am

lewlz

Quake III was one I played a lot online. Same with Unreal Tournament (though mostly LAN for this one). And Turok: Rage Wars tried to copy that whole idea and was pretty fun but not super fun.

But yeah, I played the everloving shiznit out of QIII on my crappy 56k modem.

I'll give props to id for doing a pretty decent job with DOOM 3, but it certainly wasn't the same kind of fun that the older games were. I still haven't beaten it.

Quake 4 is the biggest steaming turd I've ever played, though.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:49 am

Fuck any kind of video game multiplayer that doesn't involve playing with people in the same room as you. I've never enjoyed or understood that shit.

Abs' list is good. I don't care for video games anymore, and I don't care for them any more mostly because I think they just aren't made well AND to be fun. So for me to look down his list and say, "That one's good, this one's great, this one looked like one I would have liked but never got around to it, etc." says to me that he likes to have fun with good games rather than the Red Bull-chugging kooks that play purely to call people faggots while trying to have the highest kill count.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:04 am

Quake 4 was actually developed by Raven Software. I want to give it a try eventually, but not before I finish Quake and Quake II.

Speaking of which, how exactly is Quake II for the N64 different from the PC game? I haven't played either, though I am aware that they are supposed to be significantly different in some way.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:54 am

PC version is rather open-ended and has you revisiting older areas, while the N64 version is levels-based. PC one has you traversing a lot of area just to get a key or fulfill some other objective, while the N64 one is straightforward like all the old FPSs.

The levels are mostly unique to the N64 so it's more like an original game than a port.

In a way I like the PC version for what it tried to do, but it just doesn't do it very well. It's kind of a boring game, to be honest. Often you're just walking around a really dull environment while ships fly overheard.

In terms of graphics and mood, I like the N64 one more. PC game has this really stale metal environment and a pumping industrial metal soundtrack that gets a little tiresome. The N64 game has exclusive lighting effects that are really purdy and colorful, and the mood is much more somber, helped by Aubrey Hodges' dark ambient soundtrack (probably his best one).

And if you like the idea of a cartridge and the N64 being pushed to the limit, no game in my opinion does it better than Quake II. No other game I know uses the Expansion Pak to not only up the resolution, but do so while keeping a smooth framerate. The extra memory also adds really nice lighting effects and other details. It's a really pretty game and moves and controls so smoothly.

So I dunno. The PC version has its fans and the N64 one usually gets shat upon, but I like it a whole lot more meselves. The lead programmer was Aaron Seeler, who also was the lead programmer on DOOM 64. I can only assume he was the closest to what could be considered the head designer or director for both games.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:00 am

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Fuck any kind of video game multiplayer that doesn't involve playing with people in the same room as you. I've never enjoyed or understood that shit.

Abs' list is good. I don't care for video games anymore, and I don't care for them any more mostly because I think they just aren't made well AND to be fun. So for me to look down his list and say, "That one's good, this one's great, this one looked like one I would have liked but never got around to it, etc." says to me that he likes to have fun with good games rather than the Red Bull-chugging kooks that play purely to call people faggots while trying to have the highest kill count.
E-rimming accepted.

But yeah, online multiplayer is pretty dull. Aside from a few games, I never really got into it. I used to play a few rounds of Descent with a friend of mine where we'd touch tips with our modems and usually it'd end abruptly 'cos his dad needed to use the phone whereas we had two lines. It was kind of cool, but I rather would have just hung out in the same room and played the game.

We didn't have 'puters of our own possession so we couldn't LAN up. He had a PlayStation, though, and we saw Descent for it at his video store, and it said Two Players on the back of the box, but it was a dirty, stinking lie because there was no such option in the game itself. Thought we could do some actual one-on-one or co-op without having to communicate through typing, but noooooooo.

Playing v-games with people in the same room is just way more fun. You're basically chilling. Online, you're...playing a game by yourself with a pretend sense of hanging out and having fun with people.

I did it a lot back in the day, though. Little PC client called Kali which was an easy way to play all kinds of old games (though they were still fairly new at that time lol). It was where I first got my ass handed to me in Duke Nukem 3D deathmatch and realized I would never be good at the game against others. (Sure enough, the few rounds I did of the XBLA version, I got wasted.) It was a chat service too, so I macked on all da babez.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:07 am

Abnormal Freak wrote:
PC version is rather open-ended and has you revisiting older areas, while the N64 version is levels-based. PC one has you traversing a lot of area just to get a key or fulfill some other objective, while the N64 one is straightforward like all the old FPSs.

The levels are mostly unique to the N64 so it's more like an original game than a port.

In a way I like the PC version for what it tried to do, but it just doesn't do it very well. It's kind of a boring game, to be honest. Often you're just walking around a really dull environment while ships fly overheard.

In terms of graphics and mood, I like the N64 one more. PC game has this really stale metal environment and a pumping industrial metal soundtrack that gets a little tiresome. The N64 game has exclusive lighting effects that are really purdy and colorful, and the mood is much more somber, helped by Aubrey Hodges' dark ambient soundtrack (probably his best one).

And if you like the idea of a cartridge and the N64 being pushed to the limit, no game in my opinion does it better than Quake II. No other game I know uses the Expansion Pak to not only up the resolution, but do so while keeping a smooth framerate. The extra memory also adds really nice lighting effects and other details. It's a really pretty game and moves and controls so smoothly.

So I dunno. The PC version has its fans and the N64 one usually gets shat upon, but I like it a whole lot more meselves. The lead programmer was Aaron Seeler, who also was the lead programmer on DOOM 64. I can only assume he was the closest to what could be considered the head designer or director for both games.
Ooh, that sounds pretty awesome. I'll have to get myself a copy of the N64 game sometime, then.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:08 am

Doooo it. If you're not concerned with box and that, you could probably get one for a few bucks. It's not a very coveted game, I don't think.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:31 am

X-pert74 wrote:
Quake 4 was actually developed by Raven Software. I want to give it a try eventually, but not before I finish Quake and Quake II.

Speaking of which, how exactly is Quake II for the N64 different from the PC game? I haven't played either, though I am aware that they are supposed to be significantly different in some way.
Don't even bother. In the last two years I (re)played through Doom III and Quake IV, and Doom III still holds up in some ways, while Quake 4 has always been terrible.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:41 am

I've never really played the Quake games. I think I played the first and second for a few minutes before... I did have a period of extensively playing Arena, though. Had a lot of fun with that one.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:23 pm

X-pert74 wrote:
I think Resident Evil 2 is one of the easiest games in the "classic" RE series. It's definitely easier than REmake, though the lack of a quick turn might make movement a little tougher to get the hang of than every later game in the series.
I had 2 for the N64, and it had a non-"tank" control option (like Mario 64 or Zelda).  Was a little wanky, but made the game very easy.  Not sure if the GC port kept it

I also think it's one of the best RE games because of the 4 different playthroughs it offered, giving it tons of replay value (ie Claire then Leon, and Leon then Claire, all different)
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:56 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Maybe you get tired of kicking your little brother's ass all the time and want to play against some of the best in the world. Only possible online, not in the same room. If you want to play against more than 4 people you'll have to go online. Splint screen sucks. I'm sure there are plenty of other of examples I could come up. Should be pretty easy to understand.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:13 pm

It sounds more like they just don't like Call of Duty style games.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:06 pm

Yeah, I'm not the biggest online guy (I've never touched it in at least 50-75% of my 360/PS3 games) but when it's done right it's pretty bad ass.  Bad Company 2 was probably the last one I got really into, and the 32 player matches were epic. Rocketing a tank full of 3 or 4 players from a UAV 200 yards out, all while dodging sniper fire from guillie snipers hiding in the hills and the Hind that is circling the area = awesome

Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm

tuggernuts wrote:
It sounds more like they just don't like Call of Duty style games.
Those aren't the only games you can play online. Tongue  (CoD style? What?)
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:36 pm

jthefrank wrote:
X-pert74 wrote:
I think Resident Evil 2 is one of the easiest games in the "classic" RE series. It's definitely easier than REmake, though the lack of a quick turn might make movement a little tougher to get the hang of than every later game in the series.
I had 2 for the N64, and it had a non-"tank" control option (like Mario 64 or Zelda).  Was a little wanky, but made the game very easy.  Not sure if the GC port kept it

I also think it's one of the best RE games because of the 4 different playthroughs it offered, giving it tons of replay value (ie Claire then Leon, and Leon then Claire, all different)
Yeah, that analog control option is part of why I bought the N64 version. I ended up playing through with the classic controls though Tongue And no, I don't think the Gamecube port retained that control option.

The multiple playthroughs are part of why I like Resident Evil 2 as well. It was interesting to see how everything connected together. Mr. X is also really scary, and made each character's B playthrough much more tense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100 favorite games of all time   Today at 4:34 pm

Back to top Go down

100 favorite games of all time
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3