View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Are they truly THAT good?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:44 am

Below is a list of very highly respected albums from various metal genres. I personally think all of these albums are very good and some of these are definitely my favorites of all time. However some of them don't seem to have enough lasting appeal, some of them took many repeated listens to get into, and some of them just never struck my ears the right way no matter how hard I tried. Do these albums deserve the praise? Of course it is all opinion, but do these all have what it takes to be "classic" or "legendary"? Is it diversity? Is it consistency? Is it catchy riffage?How much of it is nostalgia and/or its lasting impression on the genre they play. I definitely wouldn't say there is something these albums all have in common except how highly they are regarded among the metal community.

Immolation-Close to a World Below
Converge-Jane Doe
Dismember-Like An Everflowing Stream
Entombed-Left Hand Path
Terrorizer-World Downfall
Pig Destroyer-Terrifyer
Brutal Truth-Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses
Emperor-In the Nightside Eclipse
Immortal-At the Heart of Winter
Mayhem-De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Darkthrone-A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Dissection-Storm of the Light's Bane
Bathory-Blood Fire Death
Morbid Angel-Altars of Madness
Sleep-Holy Mountain
Morbid Saint- Spectrum of Death
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:58 am

I think the whole classics-concept is a generally a tough one. Any album that makes a mark and becomes influential, a reference point to future albums in the same vein, is going to get that kind of landmark status. It doesn't necessarily have to be the quality of their songwriting. Or quality in any sense apart from them being something that makes unique and above all: memorable.

Looking at that list, the ones I've listened to properly are Dismember, Entombed, Emperor, Mayhem, and Darkthrone. In the case of all of them except Mayhem I'd have to say that I love the albums, but there are other albums by the same artist I prefer listening to.

I think the reason they're that revered is that they somehow landed a place in the genre history. I mean, I've heard Storm of the Light's Bane, Blood Fire Death, At The Heart of Winter, and Holy Mountain but I was like, "meh..."

So if it was all catchy riffage, I would have thought that they were equally catchy. Especially since they belong to genres I generally enjoy.

To reiterate, I think it's all down to being the right album at the right place and having a unique/fitting voice in that particular genre-space. Make a solid album with a sound that no one else had at the time, or a distilled essence of a particular sound that was already present, and you got yourself a "classic" album.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:58 am

Spectrum of Death is genuinely one of my absolute favorite albums of all time, but most of the others on there that I've heard of I think are good/great, but aren't necessarily my favorites to listen to. World Downfall is actually an album I don't really care for. There's nothing really wrong with it; it's just kind of dull and repetitive for me. No songs really stand out to me at all when I listen to it, except for Fear of Napalm (and only its first few seconds).
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:20 am

metal = gay, so no

Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:27 am

Converge-Jane Doe

Great, but not as good as Axe to Fall.

My favorite Emperor record, but it's not perfect.  The keys are way too loud.

Deserves all the praise it gets, IMO.

I get a lot of shit for this, but I actually don't like Mayhem at all.  None of their riffs stick with me. I've listened to this album dozens of times and I can't recall one riff from it.

The best of tr00 blakk methul Darkthrone, but I think their past two records are Darkthrone's best.

Bathory-Blood Fire Death

I know this is kind of the charm of Bathory, but this album in particular is WAY too sloppy for me.  I don't like everything to be perfect, but some of the performances on this album are just awful.

I prefer Covenant.  I like when Morbid Angel mixes in slower stuff.

Sleep-Holy Mountain

I can't think of anything wrong with this album.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:41 pm

I never really got into Bathory so I just picked one of the more liked ones by him. I believe I bought the album released after In the Nightside Eclipse and it was also very very good. Jane Doe is a much more emotional album than axe to fall though. They're probably my favorite band so I enjoy all their albums quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:21 pm

That's why i like Axe to Fall more, lol. It just straight kicks ass until the last two cool experimental tracks.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:09 pm

I'll be honest and say I've never heard this album, but I'm a big Immolation based on the 4 albums I have heard. They all deserve the respect they get, especially the first two. Also, for the people I know, no one has ever brought this one up as their "album to get".

Entombed-Left Hand Path
I've always found this album overrated as well, but that's mainly because I've never been the biggest "traditional swedish death metal" fan.

One of my favorite albums of all time, deserves all of its praise. However, I'll admit that I hated it the first time I listened to it.

Their best album, and deserves all of the praise.

It's a little overrated, and it's mainly as big as it is because of all of the history behind it and it being the only "true" Mayhem album. I still enjoy it quite a bit, though.

A classic, and it pretty much was the album that began the second-wave. So, it's admittedly more regarded for its influence rather than quality.

Another of my favorite albums of all time. I can't think of one fault on this album.

Bathory-Blood Fire Death
Not his best, and it hasn't aged that well. However, this was pretty much the best stuff around in my opinion in the late 80s.

Good, but definitely not their best. Another album more regarded for its influence than most other things.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:52 pm

It's funny that a bunch of these are still albums I will listen to now despite not really listening to a lot of metal anymore.

I have it but never really listened to it. Never was into Immolation much.

Converge-Jane Doe

I should like this band more than I do but I always seem to flake out on them. I don't know why. Never could really get super into it. So I can't comment much on this album other than I like it, but don't know it well enough to say why it is or isn't better than any of their other stuff.

Dismember-Like An Everflowing Stream

I really like this album from what I remember. I haven't heard it in a long time so maybe I wouldn't like it as much now but I remember the riffs being awesome.

Entombed-Left Hand Path

Always liked this album. Entombed's best I think and easy one of the more influential death metal albums.

Pig Destroyer-Terrifyer

It's probably one of like 3 pieces of grindcore that I can still listen to, though I don't like it anywhere near as much as I used to. Riffs are solid for a grindcore album.

I tried listening to Emperor a while back and was having a hard time doing so. Too many songs go on for too long. This album isn't near as good as Anthems or Equilibirum.

Don't see how this album is overrated to be honest. Really really solid. Easily their best.

Hate this album. Attila is a shit vocalist.

Songs go on for way too long. Never really liked Darkthrone to begin with though.

Love it. Probably one of the top 3 melodic black metal albums ever made. Don't understand how it's overrated.

Bathory-Blood Fire Death

I like Bathory but again it tends to drag on and on. If I was going to throw on an album it'd be either this or Hammerheart, or one of the Nordlands maybe, but I guarantee I'd probably be skipping through parts of almost every song.

Not their best, Blessed are the Sick and Domination are both the better albums. Its solid, and I'd still listen to it but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Sleep-Holy Mountain

Album rules. Dopesmoker too. FOLLOOOOOWWWW THE SMOOOOOOOKEEEEE

Morbid Saint- Spectrum of Death

Never heard it, but it's thrash metal so it's probably garbage
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:35 am

It comes as no surprise that I own none of the albums on that list.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:04 am

seeghost, this is an epic song from Spectrum of Death:

Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37 am

lol this is the most positive I've ever seen cghost when talking about metal.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 am

The Bathory, Immortal, Sleep, and Dissection albums are all fucking fantastic. Don't really care for the rest.

Also, I always thought Clandestine was far superior to Left Hand Path.

Also #2, Converge is fucking gay.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:02 am

Must have missed Altars of Madness on the list, that's one album I desperately tried to enjoy when getting into death metal. Åkerfeldt always lauded it as like the pinnacle of death metal. But I never could understand it's greatness. Much prefer the early Swedish stuff.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Immolation-Close to a World Below- always been a casual fan of Immolation, though if I listened to them more, I bet I'd get really into them. Haven't heard this album in its entirety.
Converge-Jane Doe- awesome album, don't feel like it's overrated at all, definite "classic"
Dismember-Like An Everflowing Stream- never heard
Entombed-Left Hand Path- amazing album and it still holds up so well today, definitely worthy of the "classic" status
Terrorizer-World Downfall- never heard
Pig Destroyer-Terrifyer- same situation as Immolation, I really should listen to more Pig Destroyer
Brutal Truth-Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses- never cared particularly for Brutal Truth, I'll give them another try sometime
Emperor-In the Nightside Eclipse- not my favorite Emperor album, but I do still love it and feel like everyone who likes black metal should listen to it at least like 3 times, definitely a "classic" record
Immortal-At the Heart of Winter- one of my favorite Immortal records, and another "classic" that I feel like is sometimes overlooked in favor of Immortal's earlier records
Mayhem-De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas- I love this album too and think it is extremely worthy of the "classic" status, it's influence on black metal was immense
Darkthrone-A Blaze in the Northern Sky- Probably my favorite Darkthrone album, another absolute "classic" that everyone who loves black metal should listen to at least once or twice
Dissection-Storm of the Light's Bane- One of my personal favorite black metal albums ever, another "classic"
Bathory-Blood Fire Death- Not my favorite Bathory album, but I still like it and understand why people consider it to be influential
Morbid Angel-Altars of Madness- I go back and forth on which Morbid Angel album is my favorite and at one point it was Altars of Madness, definitely a "classic" record that people should at least listen to once to understand the evolution of death metal
Sleep-Holy Mountain- Sleep is just the best, and this album is a definite "classic"
Morbid Saint- Spectrum of Death- This album can never get enough recognition, absolutely love it
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:23 pm

"classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic"
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Jesus christ this fag actually gets paid to do music reviews?
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Shrike wrote:
Must have missed Altars of Madness on the list, that's one album I desperately tried to enjoy when getting into death metal. Åkerfeldt always lauded it as like the pinnacle of death metal. But I never could understand it's greatness. Much prefer the early Swedish stuff.

I never really got into it either. There are some cool things about it, and a couple moments in particular stand out to me, but as a whole I just don't think Altars of Madness is great. I haven't heard Blessed Are The Sick, but I don't really care much for Covenant either. Domination I think is cool though.

Also when it comes to Darkthrone, I definitely prefer Under A Funeral Moon over A Blaze..., and I think I prefer Transilvanian Hunger and Panzerfaust over it as well. I don't think A Blaze... is bad, but it's just not really something I'll listen to when I feel like listening to early black metal-era Darkthrone. In The Shadow of the Horns is a cool song though.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:23 am

Cghost21 wrote:

Don't get paid. Do it for fun.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:32 am

RespawnedDemon wrote:
Cghost21 wrote:

Don't get paid. Do it for fun.

You confirmed you're a fag by responding. flower 
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:54 pm

respawneding*
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:29 pm

RespondDemon

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:27 am

I found a copy of this Immolation album today in a metal CD store, but holy shit it was expensive. Sometimes I've gotten lucky with finding fairly reasonably priced CD's in Chile (10 to 15 bucks), but I wasn't about to pay the equivalent for 25 bucks for this Immolation CD. They also had the new Darkthrone, which I really want, but I wasn't going to pay nearly 30 bucks for that one either.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:51 am

Electroretard wrote:
"classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic" "classic"

I skimmed this thread. Now I can't wait to read it.

But first, I must poop.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 pm

RespawnedDemon wrote:
Immortal-At the Heart of Winter- one of my favorite Immortal records, and another "classic" that I feel like is sometimes overlooked in favor of Immortal's earlier records
wut
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are they truly THAT good?   Today at 1:14 pm

Back to top Go down

Are they truly THAT good?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next