The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:20 pm

I know I've talked about the songs I've been working on for a while. Finally got all the music done and I've started doing vocals and mixing. Here is the first track that I wanted to put out there for opinions. It doesn't really sound like the first album. I barely knew how to play guitar at the time and I was just first getting serious into doom and black metal. So, hopefully, this shows a lot of progression. Vocals are very different. Anyways, give it a listen and tell me what you think.

I'm especially interested in hearing opinions of the vocals and the mix in general. I'm trying to do a much better job than I did the last time. All comments and criticisms are appreciated.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 pm

This beginning riff thing sounds cool! I really like the guitar tone in particular; it's raw in a way I haven't really heard much of before.

The vocals are very screamy; they kind of make me think of Phil Anselmo or Seth Putnam. They're not bad, but I imagine they would get irritating after awhile.

The tremolo riff at around the 3:30 mark is really cool. I love the atmosphere of this song, although the mix is a little too clean and dull for my taste. It seems to sap some of the music's power. The music itself is intense, but I feel like a different production would help bring more of that out in the music.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:56 pm

I like what you're doing rhythmically, but Kurt's rightl; the squeaky clean recording quality kills the vibe.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Any suggestions on how to make it seem less clean? I imagine the drums hurt it seeing as they are programmed. Possibly some reverb or some other effect? The guitars are as raw as I can get them. I decided to take a lesson from Varg and record shittily... which seemed to work in my favor. I recorded guitars by just sitting my laptop in front of my shittiest combo amp and recording with the built in mic. Tongue But yeah, any suggestions you might have to give it more life and to sound less clean would be great.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Oh and to follow up on Kurt's comment about guitar tone... I've actually gone the way of not using pedals at all. It's strictly plugged straight into an amp with only the gain to add the distortion. I actually think it sounds nice.

And for the vocals, I thought it was funny to see a comparison to Anselmo or Putnam in style. I hadn't thought of that. It reminded me of B from Rwake (not sure if you're familiar with them, Kurt). I really dig her vocals so I think this new style is growing on me.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:13 am

Never heard of Rwake before now; I'm listening to them now and I can see how they compare. Their vocals do sound kind of similar to yours.

As for how to get the recording to sound better... I don't know if you're opposed to a trick like this, but I was thinking you could make the drums sound more prominent at certain climactic points in the song, as well as maybe making the guitar louder then as well. That might make the song sound more dynamic. Reverb might also be worth trying out, so that the drums don't sound like a flat "thud" in the mix.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:22 am

Yeah, biggest complaint would be the production, and then the extreme simplicity of it all. Guitars could use not only the distortion you already have but lots of echo, and overall thicker production in the area of maybe synths or heavily effected second guitars to add some atmosphere and layers. Vocal performance is good, but only really starting at the halfway point. The beginning is too rhythmically short, though that matches the playing of the music, so I'm guessing all that is your intention. Just doesn't hit any sweet spots for me. You're best when you're playing everything fast and having more prolonged, louder screams.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:15 am

I've considered doing some dynamic volume stuff to make certain areas pop. I guess I will try that out and see how it goes.

I'll try adding a more dense guitar layer under to see if that helps. On this particular track it really is about the simplicity of it. When I made the song I got a bit of a Bloody Panda vibe. Though, they do layer in the synth stuff like you said. I actually do plan on adding some synth an ambient stuff to it when I'm done. I wanted to do intro/interlude/outro tracks and then have all the songs kind of bleed together with the ambient stuff. Definitely will be more in that area on the finished product. Vocally, yeah, I'm trying to be more sparse. Listening to the first Lance cd, I don't like how there are constant vocals on non-ambient or atmospheric sections. Trying to take more a hint from Dark Castle's first album with less vocals that feel like they're at the right time. There definitely are faster sections throughout the cd. This is one of the slower and droney songs.

And to be honest, I'm surprised that (for the most part) I'm getting positive comments on the vocals. I thought those would be the most criticized part. Lyrics for all the songs haven't been written though, so I'll keep it in mind that the longer/louder ones work better.

Thanks, guys.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 am

Sooo, I've started messing around with some of the changes suggested and I think it's improving a great deal. It doesn't sound as sterile now. So far, I've added some reverb to the drums and holy shit has that made a difference. They sound more real now (still not completely, but it's better). I doubled the guitar part in the main doom/drone bits then added some reverb that stretched out the resonation of each note and gave it a bit more of a fuzz and denser sound. Tried the echo but just wasn't really feeling the way that sounded. It just made it sound like the playing wasn't tight anymore, you know?

Anyway... about to go back in and mess with the volumes for some more dynamics.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Better?

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 am

It sounds a lot better Loxx; good job Happy
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 am

Yeah, it sounds a lot better. My only complaint is that the vocals just make me think too much of Seth Putnam, so they're not but just make it harder to take seriously subconciously. You said they're like Rwake, but I've never listened to them, so I can't make that connection.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Just because you said you've never heard Rwake...

Around the 2:20 mark. You can hear her vocals growling underneath the guy who does the yelling.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm kinda with R_Z on this, I wish it was a bit thicker. Had some more punch.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 pm

There will me more atmospheric and ambient stuff layered on it later. I want to finish all the mixing and vocals before doing that stuff because I want it all to connect and I'm not quite sure of the song order just yet. The lack of bass also takes away some of it's punch. I wanted to use bass on this one, but I don't want to go and buy a new one or pay to have my bass and amp shipped from MS.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Sat May 04, 2013 10:22 pm

SO. I do thank you guys for the feedback you gave me. It was extremely useful. I've been working like a mad man on this cd since I posted this thread. Most of the mixing is done. Finally recorded the vocals for the second to last song tonight. I'm almost done with this and I can't wait to share it.

Sadly, I know a lot of you won't dig it. I got kudos from you guys on the first one, and that was more straight forward doom and black metal. Here, I really expanded my horizons. I'd say 'Gehenna' was the exception rather than the norm. But still, I'll love to hear what you guys think when I finally get this son of a bitch done. It's been a long time coming.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Sat May 04, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm happy to help Loxxie Happy I look forward to hearing the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Wed May 08, 2013 10:49 pm

i heard this bitch is done
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Thu May 09, 2013 10:58 pm

Yep. I'm still considering if I should hold off on streaming it until I have physical copies which could be another month or so.

I suppose it's just going to be an EP. It's 7 tracks and under 30 minutes. Big departure from the first one in that regard.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Thu May 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Longer than 28? Anything longer is technically an LP
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Nope, lol. The mix right now is like 25. And I know I have to cut out the endings of songs where it's just me waiting to hit the button to stop recording.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Sun May 12, 2013 7:46 pm

Here is another song from it that you guys might like. It's actually my favorite from the cd.

https://soundcloud.com/lanceoflonginus/lance-of-longinus-and-so-he

What do you guys think? Also, the similarities in riffs and chord progressions to "Gehenna" are intentional. It's kind of a part two to that song and comes immediately after.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Mon May 13, 2013 1:15 pm

Vocals sound really good, better song overall. Still don't like the slow, minimal chugging, though.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Mon May 13, 2013 5:25 pm

I really am glad the vocals get a positive response. I feel like that is a much more natural sound from myself than what I did on the first one and I like the way I sound doing it. Anyways, thanks for listening R_Z. The rest of the songs on the cd are more fast paced so not a whole lot of just chugging like on these two.

I finished artwork and everything. At this point I'm just trying to get the mix down. I keep burning the different mixes and listening to them in my car. Trying to get something that sounds good and balanced on my laptop speakers, head phones, and my car speakers. The first cd kind of sounds like shit on anything other than head phones. But yeah, super excited about this one. I dig it a lot.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)   Today at 12:07 am

Back to top Go down

First song from the new Lance of Longinus (Opinions, please?)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1