The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shrike

PostSubject: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 am

Just to deny iheartradio any hits for their awful audio-watermarking, here's a Youtube rip.

My reaction is this. Instrumentally, it's vintage Sabbath. It could easily have fit on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Vol. 4 without much effort, and I'm perfectly fine with that. When they got back together I didn't want a revolutionary Sabbath, I wanted the Sabbath I grew up with.

As for Ozzy's vocals, which were always gonna be the make or break-factor, I'm fine with them. They have that godawful filter that he's used for the past 15-20 years, but the delivery is pretty solid and I'm really liking the vocal melody (what little there is).

I have no way to be objective about this, since Sabbath was essentially my first favorite band. I listened the shit out of everything Black Sabbath album with Ozzy on it in during my teen years. That said, I really was prepared to be disappointed. But so far I'm okay with this, and with a better quality rip, I'm thinking I could grow to love this.

Still wondering how Ozzy's gonna fare live.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm

No one cares because sabbath fucking sucks
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:22 pm

I wanted to post about this but for some reason I couldn't get on the site yesterday. I'm so psyched for the new Sabbath album Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:34 pm

That riff in the last 2 minutes or so is fucking awesome.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:13 pm

I prefer the chorus riff, to be honest, but yeah, it's a good one. I think Geezer's bass work to the finishing riff is pretty kickass though.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Pretty solid. You won't find a bigger fan than I of needlessly long songs, but I did think it was a little too drawn out.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 pm

I was going to say Respawned would have been most likely to have posted it and say "Fucking awesome!!!!!!"
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Should honestly just cut the first 4 minutes or so. The ending of the song is fine, but there is no reason for this to be 9 minutes long.

And honestly, I think what my friend sums this up pretty well:

"Imagine this song was not written/performed by Black Sabbath, but some local band at a bar or something. Would you care?"

Unfortunately, no. I wouldn't. The only reason anyone cares about this is because it's Tony Iommi, Ozzy, and Geezer.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Video in the OP is dead

Here's a new one

Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Electroretard wrote:

"Imagine this song was not written/performed by Black Sabbath, but some local band at a bar or something. Would you care?"

Unfortunately, no. I wouldn't. The only reason anyone cares about this is because it's Tony Iommi, Ozzy, and Geezer.

He has a point, but it's not going to make me enjoy it any less Metal
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Only partially liked the last third of the song, cuz I hated Ozzy the entire time. First third is completely useless. I feel comfortable ignoring the rest, but wouldn't shun it if it were playing.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:39 am

Kind of a dumb argument.

Imagine that Rime of the Ancient Mariner was written and performed by kurt in bra and panties while standing in a kiddie pool filled with milk.

People like the song because it's written and performed by a band they enjoy.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:50 am

what the hell are you talking about and who to
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:23 am

roughdraft_zero wrote:
what the hell are you talking about and who to

Electroretard wrote:
Should honestly just cut the first 4 minutes or so. The ending of the song is fine, but there is no reason for this to be 9 minutes long.

Can u reed bish?
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:20 am

ifuckmusicondemand

This song is okay, I suppose. ehh.

I would not stand in any body of milk. That seems gross to me.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:34 am

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
Kind of a dumb argument.

Imagine that Rime of the Ancient Mariner was written and performed by kurt in bra and panties while standing in a kiddie pool filled with milk.

People like the song because it's written and performed by a band they enjoy.

Yeah, to be fair if something not that good comes out from a well known band the one guy that likes it will say: "If this was just some random local band without any expectations everyone would love it" While like here if a well known band releases something that most people like the one guy that doesn't like it says: "It's not that good. People only care because it's so and so." I guess you can't have it both ways.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:43 pm

I guess most people want more of what they're familiar with.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:55 pm

This sounds more like something off of Mob Rules than it does classic Sabbath. I.e. mediocre and mostly not good.

And Ozzy is fucking terrible.

And the last riff sounds like they're trying to mask the fairies wear boots riff like nobody is going to notice. This is disappointing. Not that I figured they'd actually be writing this for anything more than a money grab, but still I feel slightly let down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?   Today at 12:54 am

Back to top Go down

How is there not a thread about the new Sabbath track yet?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1