The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What's everybody liking so far this year?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Just started looking at some stuff that's been released so far, seems a bit underwhelming. Anybody find any gems so far? Especially r_z, any sweet alt-coounty/gothic country shit come out that you know of?
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:44 pm

My favorite albums this year are lossless Bandcamp releases of old video game tunes, leeewwwl. Aubrey Hodges has been on a roll with his various dark ambient DOOM/Quake and guitar-driven soundtracks.

But there's some good stuff like the new Bowie, HTDA (which is too long and kind of tedious at points), MBV, MY DICK IN YOUR MOUTH
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Bowie released a new album? Cool. What's HTDA?
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Yeah, first album in like ten years. Really solid.

HTDA = How to Destroy Angels, a band of Trent Reznor's. The debut EP was really good but the new full-length is a little more experimental and meandering. It's good music but at 13 songs and 65 minutes it gets pretty tiresome toward the end. Could've been great had they focused more. BUT, that's how Trent gets when he's in full-on "experimental art, no rock" mode; The Fragile and Ghosts I-IV are likewise overblown with little direction.

The new tweaker is a much better experimental electronic/industrial album.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:37 pm

I love Darkthrone's The Underground Resistance. It's my favorite Darkthrone album, and one of my favorite albums of all time. It feels like a perfect realization of their new style into something simultaneously badass and fun.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:31 pm

I should probably listen to Tweaker.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 pm

The new album, call the time eternity, is probably the best area to start. It's my favorite tweaker album and has a much darker, heavier, and more consistent sound. The first two albums are great as well but have a different format and musically tend to be all over the place and with various guest vocalists. This new one, musically, feels more cohesive and only has like three guest tracks.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:08 pm

New Darkthrone is pretty much the best thing ever.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 pm

No good new alt-country that I know of, though i did see Slim Cessna's Auto Club live in February if that counts for anything lol

Really haven't been liking or paying tons of attention to anything coming out so far this year. Highly anticipating some things though, particularly the new Peste Noire.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:57 pm

Well sheeeeeet, I wanna link to tunes as well.

(late 2012 butt fuck it I'm including)

Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:58 pm

But damn, I kinda wish Trent would let go of the whole "high art" thing. He's best when he's making songs about his dick.

Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 am

The new Meads of Asphodel is pretty good and is even more fucking out there than their previous releases

most of the stuff im really excited for arent out yet
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm

The new Ghost album is pretty fantastic!

http://pitchfork.com/advance/67-infestissumam/
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Ghost is fucking gay.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:06 pm

My respect for you guys' taste in music decreases every day.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:03 pm

I never expected to like Ghost but I love their first album. The new one is decent, and I'll probably start to like it more with time.

For other new releases:
The new Horna is solid.
The new October Tide is good, but doesn't compare to theirs or Katatonia's older stuff.
The new Immolation is good, need to hear more.
The new Rotting Christ sounds good from the little I've heard.
The new Csejthe is fucking awesome.
There is a recent release from a band called Caladan Brood. It's a pretty fucking solid mid-era Summoning style band, from Salt Lake City of all places.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:19 pm

RespawnedDemon wrote:
The new Ghost album is pretty fantastic!

http://pitchfork.com/advance/67-infestissumam/

Saw this topic at IGN. Tongue
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Pretty slow so far, and most of it is from here. I've mostly been listening to stuff I missed from 2012 :p
Standouts so far:

Fall of Every Season - Amends
The Underground Resistance

The one that might not get any attention here otherwise is Nick Cave's Push The Sky Away, which is really a return to form. First I thought it was a bit lame, not enough energy to it, but after a few spins, I think it's amazing. There's a calm and a tension to it that really hits home. It's hard to describe, but there's a certain feel to it, reminiscent of Shadows of the Sun. With these very calm and minimal production, where really subtle elements have a really big impact without ever sounding bombastic.

Case in point, the rhymetastic Mermaids:

Last edited by Shrike on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Heard you the first time bro

yeah new Nick Cave is pretty good. Think he had a tour scheduled and either I missed it or it's coming up but already sold out? Or something? I forget. Grinderman is reuniting for a Coachella one-off and it's rumored that a proper reunion will follow. i honestly doubt it, though, at least that it would happen that soon. Maybe years down the line.

And wait: new Fall of Every Season is actually out? Like proper out-out?
Back to top Go down
Bolt_Thrower

Title : filthy

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Grand Supreme Blood Court - Another Martin Van Drunen band so I love them
Vallenfyre was better than I expected from the name lol
Sulphur Aeon - good cthulu worship death metal

I liked the little bit of the new Immolation song I heard. They will be on the bill with Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death so that should be cool.

Going to see Colin Hay in September.

Haven't heard anything from the new Voivod yet but I'm buying the vinyl regardless.

Those of you up north look out for some Bolt Thrower dates with Jungle Rot after MDF in May. Lucky shits!
Back to top Go down
http://www.originalgeek.net
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:04 am

"cthulu worship death metal"

lol
Back to top Go down
Bolt_Thrower

Title : filthy

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:37 am

cthulu knows what's up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvSUDEuTBtA
Back to top Go down
http://www.originalgeek.net
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:30 am

Bolt_Thrower wrote:
cthulu knows what's up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvSUDEuTBtA

That is pretty cool Happy
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:05 am

I might like to check out the new Nick Cave, but I never heard Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! so I dunno. Cave CDs have just kinda sat on my shelf untouched since 2005 or so.

I see the cover of the new one has some vagina on it, though, so I may have to pick it up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody liking so far this year?   Today at 4:29 pm

Back to top Go down

What's everybody liking so far this year?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next