The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Silencer and Inquisition are the two bands that come to mind when I think of musically good bands that I can't listen to due to unbearable vocals. What about you guys? Can be from any music style.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Inquisition are a bit rough, but I still like them, and Silencer are great.

As for other vocals. I can't think of any bands where I really enjoy the music but hate the vocals that much. However, for the entire metal-core genre, the vocals are by far my least favorite part, but at best the music is only boring wankery that just rips off one of my least favorite metal genres, melodic death metal.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:47 pm

I dunno. I love Silencer, though. I know the vocals are kind of difficult to enjoy, but they're not that much worse than Weakling (which was a fucking amazing band).

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I think a lot more people tolerate Weakling because the vocals are pretty buried in the mix, and the production is rough as it is. Silencer has unusually good production and the vocals really cut through the mix, so I think that's why so many people can't dig it.

I still love Silencer though.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:40 am

Same answer I give for all of these topics. Overkill.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:54 am

Silencer
The Ocean's new guy ruined them for me (yay for instrumental album this year!)
Abbath
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:33 am

I do like Weakling. From what I remember Silencer's vox were not only more audible, but they took the whole depressive sound to a much further level than Weakling (if Weakling's lyrical content even dealt with depression). Shrike I doubt this band is up your alley, but the vocalist from The Ocean is now in War From A Harlot's Mouth. Jeff, I consider myself a metalcore fan, but the metalcore I like isn't really the melodeath influenced variety. You're not missing out on too much when it comes to those bands anyways.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:23 am

I was gonna be snarky and say every metal band ever, but then I remembered that heavy metal would suck dick even without vocals.

:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:03 am

Shrike wrote:

Abbath

You're fucking gay. Abbath is awesome as fuck.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:51 pm

After_The_Barrel_Roll wrote:
Shrike I doubt this band is up your alley, but the vocalist from The Ocean is now in War From A Harlot's Mouth.
He's talking about Loic, not that guy.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:06 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
Shrike I doubt this band is up your alley, but the vocalist from The Ocean is now in War From A Harlot's Mouth.

Wait, really? I thought the dude who was on Precambrian went onto join WFAHM.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:17 am

I do like Weakling. From what I remember Silencer's vox were not only more audible, but they took the whole depressive sound to a much further level than Weakling (if Weakling's lyrical content even dealt with depression).

Weakling don't have lyrics. It's just gibberish/screaming.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 am

Loxx O))) wrote:

Nico? He was on Precambrian a bit. I think he was more of the main vocalist on Aeolian. Mike Pilat was the main for Precambrian. And Loic Rosetti is their current vocalist that has done the last two albums. A lot of people don't like him.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:52 am

Electroretard wrote:
I do like Weakling. From what I remember Silencer's vox were not only more audible, but they took the whole depressive sound to a much further level than Weakling (if Weakling's lyrical content even dealt with depression).

Is that true?

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:19 pm

I like Gossard's vocals in everything he does vocals for, including Weakling.

The webzine Maelstrom did an interview with him in their first issue. I just tried searching for it, and apparently Maelstrom is offline, which makes me sad cuz it was a really great zine. But I did find some blog who transcribed it. It's a great read, but kinda long. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned and even linked to the site and maybe even the interview before, maybe it was as long ago s on IGN though.

http://hubsterblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/interview-with-john-gossard-weakling.html

And yeah Silencer really qualifies on this list for me. I know a lot of it is the production and mixing of it, but still, that fucking guy is nuts and I dunnz likez itz.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Loxx O))) wrote:
Loxx O))) wrote:

Nico? He was on Precambrian a bit. I think he was more of the main vocalist on Aeolian. Mike Pilat was the main for Precambrian. And Loic Rosetti is their current vocalist that has done the last two albums. A lot of people don't like him.

I liked Loic at first, but now his vocals are getting really stale. I'm scared for their album. I think it's going to be really disappointing.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Shrike said it's instrumental and I read something from Robin that said it was mainly instrumental with a little bit of vocals. Could be good. Heliocentral is a really nice listen (the instrumental disc of Heliocentric). I used to ride around listening to the cd and just singing/screaming/growling along.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:21 pm

Loxx O))) wrote:
Electroretard wrote:

Is that true?

Yeah. He says an actual sentence every now and then, but it was all improvised so Gossard has no idea what the "lyrics" even are. Vast majority of it is just screaming.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:31 pm

I've done that before with Genital Evisceration. Sadly, I also did that on one Lance of Longinus song. I have the general lyrics for it... but the actual recorded take was different and I have no fucking clue what I'm saying. It's the black metal section in "Broken Spirit" around the 7 minute mark or so.

I think there may be a notebook lying around somewhere that has the rearranged lyrics for that song. But it's an entire country away so fuck it.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Is everybody once again ignoring my link-dropping of the Jon Gossard interview where he details the vagueness of their lyrics, among myriad other cool stuff? Cuz it's seriously cool info and a good read.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:30 pm

It's a good interview. I already read it way back in the day, but I read it again and had forgotten a few things from it.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:53 pm

I saved it for later because I didn't have time to read it then.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Just read it. He's actually not as weird as I imagined he would be. Seems like a normal guy. From shit I'd heard, I always thought he was this really introverted and unapproachable guy. I don't know whether I like this revelation or not.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Loxx O))) wrote:
Just read it. He's actually not as weird as I imagined he would be. Seems like a normal guy. From shit I'd heard, I always thought he was this really introverted and unapproachable guy. I don't know whether I like this revelation or not.

Yeah, that's probably not the case. I've seen Dispirit, but have also run into Gossard in SF before and he seemed like a fairly normal metal dude.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:39 pm

He's exceptionally approachable and normal. Even his regular speaking voice he sounds just like "a dude." And I think that's pretty cool, to not be either some poser weirdo, or someone who actually is just super esoterically whacked and cryptic. Kinda like it can give hope to those who think they're too ordinary to accomplish anything extraordinary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?   Today at 9:52 pm

Back to top Go down

Which vocalists kill any chance of you liking the group they are a part of?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next