The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shrike

PostSubject: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 pm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project

I pledged for two reasons:
1. Veronica Mars fucking ruled.
2. I want the precedent to be set for cult/fan-driven resurrection projects.

I do think the pledge goal is going to stir some controversy. Obviously 2 million is nothing in terms of the movie budget, and they're obviously funding it through WB as well, with Kickstarter just being a "show us your fans are willing to front 2 million and we'll let you make it"-demand from WB. But I don't give a shit about that. The ends justify the means in this kind of a project. It could theoretically be a way for movie companies to just get free funding for cult-projects, but if this is between stuff getting made and stuff not getting made, I'll take the occasional money grab, as long as there's at least a digital copy in it for me.

Joss Whedon better be taking notes.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm

I've never seen that show. But considering the one sentence synopsis I read of it, I have high doubts that that show 'fucking ruled'.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:38 pm

…whereas I have no doubt in my mind that you just plain suck.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Even though I never watched the show, that's a pretty cool idea, and the second I read the title, Joss Whedon popped into my mind as well.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Thing is, Whedon has got the whole Avengers/Shield thing going, so Firefly/Dollhouse reboots are probably never going to happen anyway. But imagine if Kickstarter had been around back when Firefly was cancelled, shit would have been funded in a week.

It's at 1 million now, and apparently got there faster than any other Kickstarter.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Damn, in the time it took me to read through most of the stuff on that page, they had already received about 60 thousand more dollars.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:22 pm

I liked the show but don't know how I'd feel about a movie. I just wish they'd bring the show back. Do an arrested development or something.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:47 pm

I think bringing the show back is more a scheduling thing than a budget thing. A movie they can shoot in a few weeks, a show is a real commitment for that kind of ensemble cast. If the movie picks off, I'm sure a series follow up might be a possibility. The WB aren't stupid, if there's cash left in the franchise (which might be the case after a few years of cult-ness and DVD-sales), they'll want to capitalize on it, and the crew are obviously still on board.

As for Arrested Development, that's Netflix being smart and locking in subscribers when Fox didn't have the guts to. But I think it's probably a cheaper show to make, too. That said, if Kickstarter had been around in the way it is now at the end of season AD 3, I'm sure they would have used it.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm

1.5 million already

Some of those rewards look sweet.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:01 pm

Yeah, I'm oddly curious about how successful this thing will be, so I keep checking it out every hour or so. It will clearly hit its goal, but if you look at the pledge rewards, pretty much all of the high dollar pledges have been maxed out. So, that's definitely going to hurt the huge momentum this thing has. They'll either have to increase the max numbers, within reason, and/or create new high dollar rewards to keep this thing going well beyond 2 million.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Don't know what the show is, apart from the mention of Joss Whedon, which clearly means I need know nothing more to know that this is a steaming fucking pile.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 pm

I've never seen Veronica Mars, but I bookmarked the kickstarter. Maybe I might pledge something.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Fuck they made it.

I'm keen for this. I loved the series. I actually need to buy it since I never got to see the whole thing on tv.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Don't know what the show is, apart from the mention of Joss Whedon, which clearly means I need know nothing more to know that this is a steaming fucking pile.

It has nothing to do with Joss Whedon. I've never seen it, but I did know it had Kristen Bell in it, and she's cool.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:30 am

He only mentioned Whedon because Firefly was a show that got cancelled that had a large fan following.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Actually, Whedon did have a cameo as a clerk at a car rental in one episode. But no, he wasn't involved creatively in any way.

And yeah, it was more of a reference to Whedon getting his last two shows cancelled prematurely (Firefly, Dollhouse).
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Shrike wrote:
Actually, Whedon did have a cameo as a clerk at a car rental in one episode. But no, he wasn't involved creatively in any way.

And yeah, it was more of a reference to Whedon getting his last two shows cancelled prematurely (Firefly, Dollhouse).

Drive
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 pm

WHedon responds to kickstarter comments

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/joss-whedon-on-kickstarter-and-firefly
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
Shrike wrote:

Drive

Are you referring to the Nathan Fillion-starring show Drive? Because that wasn't Whedon, it was Tim Minear (who worked with Whedon on Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse). But yeah, shit that got cancelled quick. Could have been fun.

As for his comments, I think that's the case it's been for a while. Whedon has other shit on his plate and he essentially got the resurrection he was after with Serenity (which didn't really become a big hit) so as far as he's concerned, the story is over.

And now, in a post Avengers Hollywood, Whedon has a whole different kind of leverage. So if he wants to get Firefly back up and running, he will, Kickstarter won't be necessary.

I could really see Firefly coming back down the road, like 15 years after Serenity. With an actual story that continues 15 years after Serenity. That'd be pretty epic. But if it ever shows up, it's because Whedon wants to do it, and he'll pull it off without crowdsourcing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.   Today at 2:51 am

Back to top Go down

So there's a Veronica Mars: Movie Kickstarter now.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1