Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:12 am

I own the following albums from 2006:

BeForU: BeForU II
Bestial Mockery: Gospel of the Insane
Cannibal Corpse: Kill
Captain Ahab: After The Rain My Heart Still Dreams
Captain Ahab: The Great Disappointment
Carpathian Forest: Fuck You All! Caput tuum in ano est
Celtic Frost: Monotheist

Death Breath: Stinking Up The Night
Deicide: The Stench of Redemption
Gorgoroth: Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam
Grave: As Rapture Comes
Incantation: Primordial Domination
Necrodeath: 100% Hell
Sadus: Out For Blood
Scissor Sisters: Sampler
Scissor Sisters: Ta-Dah!
Sewage Sammich: One Man's Sewage Is Another Man's Sammich

Slayer: Christ Illusion
Sodom: Sodom
Trainwreck: Trainwreck EP
Venom: Metal Black

All of the bolded albums I love, with Celtic Frost's Monotheist being my favorite album of all time, and most of the non-bolded ones I think are pretty nice as well. In a way it makes me sad that were I to choose just one album I love from 2006, I'd have to pass over so many awesome selections.

What recent year do you guys think has been good for music, and why?
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:05 am

I never enjoyed Christ Illusion. One of my least liked Slayer albums.

Every year tends to have good releases for me. I can't exactly say there has been one really stand out year for me.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:08 am

I like Christ Illusion. There are a couple songs I don't really care for, but some of them I think are incredible, like Catalyst and Supremist.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:12 am

The only album on that list that I like at all is Metal Black.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:27 pm

2006 was not recent it was 7 years ago.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:33 pm

For recent years, just doing a quick look. 2009 and 2011 are amazing, but I'd probably give 2009 the edge.

Not that I've heard all of the albums on your list, but none of the ones that I've had really stood out for me.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:43 pm

2006 was a great year for music. Especially since Adultery came out that year, which is the album of the decade.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:55 pm

I like going to sputnikmusic and seeing the top rated albums of various years. I can go to just about any year between '90 and 2009 and be reminded of how many great albums came out around the same time. 06 also had WITTR's Diadem album, Agalloch's Ashes against the grain, Drudkh's Blood in our Wells, Warning's Watching From a Distance, SikTh's Death of a dead day, Peste Noire's La Sanie, Amesoeur's EP, and a whole bunch of other good albums in metal.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:03 pm

^ what he said
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Death of a Dead Day sucked
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:48 pm

And rateyourmusic is better for doing that anyway.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Opinions and opinions. Wrong ones at that. You are just a music hipster and you know it. Death of a Dead Day is a superior album, but they became bigger thanks to that album which bothers you. It's really obvious...
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 pm

Death of a Dead Day was pretty bland compared to The Trees Are Dead and Dried Out..., and it cut out all the weird quirkiness too. Not nearly as original, or good, of an album.

I didn't even know Sikth became big (or bigger anyway) with that album lol. I thought their popularity had hit its apex with their first.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:33 pm

X-pert74 wrote:
I like Christ Illusion. There are a couple songs I don't really care for, but some of them I think are incredible, like Catalyst and Supremist.

Fuck. I'm thinking of the album after that one. World Painted Blood is my least fav. My bad Kurt.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:49 am

Green_shoes wrote:
Fuck. I'm thinking of the album after that one. World Painted Blood is my least fav. My bad Kurt.

I forgive you. I suppose.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 am

Cghost21 wrote:
Death of a Dead Day was pretty bland compared to The Trees Are Dead and Dried Out..., and it cut out all the weird quirkiness too. Not nearly as original, or good, of an album.

I didn't even know Sikth became big (or bigger anyway) with that album lol. I thought their popularity had hit its apex with their first.

When people think about albums that influenced "djent" (yes, I agree djent is dumb) they think about Nothing by Meshuggah and Sikth's Death of a Dead Day. Yes, Death of a Dead day did lose some of the quirkiness that Waiting for the trees... had, but I think that's why Death of a Dead Day AS A WHOLE is a better album. Maybe when it came to stand out tracks the debut had it better, but honestly I don't want to listen to Tupelo, the cover song, and one other song on the album I can't think of.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm

"The Trees Are Dead & Dried Out Wait for Something Wild" changed my life
"Death of a Dead Day" made me say man these guys suck. Biggest problem the crazy bass is gone.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:41 pm

I don't even get you guys. The majority of SikTh fans like both albums. There's nothing sucky about the second album. Maybe it has less crazy bass, but it has more crazy guitar work
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Absolutely every little thing ever relating to sikth is fucking terrible.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:48 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Absolutely every little thing ever relating to sikth is fucking terrible.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:48 pm

I like a song that has 'pussy' in the title. But that's about it.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:47 pm

After_The_Barrel_Roll wrote:
I don't even get you guys. The majority of SikTh fans like both albums. There's nothing sucky about the second album. Maybe it has less crazy bass, but it has more crazy guitar work

I don't know about "the majority" but I've always felt this way. I mean it is a solid album but it doesn't feel like a SikTh album to me.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 pm

After_The_Barrel_Roll wrote:
Cghost21 wrote:

When people think about albums that influenced "djent" (yes, I agree djent is dumb) they think about Nothing by Meshuggah and Sikth's Death of a Dead Day. Yes, Death of a Dead day did lose some of the quirkiness that Waiting for the trees... had, but I think that's why Death of a Dead Day AS A WHOLE is a better album. Maybe when it came to stand out tracks the debut had it better, but honestly I don't want to listen to Tupelo, the cover song, and one other song on the album I can't think of.

Really because I don't want to listen to any songs off of Death of a Dead Day because it's a watered down shitty version of what SikTh once was. Not better on the whole, not better in any aspects of originality, not the better album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music   Today at 10:22 pm

Back to top Go down

I think 2006 has been one of the best recent years for music
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1