Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Wow, Annihilation of the Wicked is better than I remember it being

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Wow, Annihilation of the Wicked is better than I remember it being   Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:19 am

I remember this being kind of a meh album for Nile, but now I think it's my second favorite of theirs, after Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka. There are some truly amazing songs in here such as the title track and Sacrifice Unto Sebek. The songwriting at times just reaches out and grabs me, which isn't something that happens to me with a lot of brutal death metal.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Annihilation of the Wicked is better than I remember it being   Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:53 am

I still can't really get into most death metal. It's like impossible to find a brutal DM band that has riffs like Death. Stuff like Suffocation is okay because at least it has slam breakdowns to get a headbang out of you. Most of the time DM is just trying too hard to sound brutal and there's no real substance behind the music. Immolation and Vital Remains has some stuff I like, but I really don't think you can listen to a whole album of theirs and think "wow there wasn't a single weak song or riff on the entire album". I've already talked about how Nile doesn't really hit my ears right very often. IMO Lykathea Aflame is easily the superior tech brutal death metal band, but even that album has some songs that are total standout tracks from the rest.

I do find AOTW to be their best album though. Easily their best.

AND I'm going to listen to it again right now because it has been a few months since I heard it last
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Annihilation of the Wicked is better than I remember it being   Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:08 am

Yeah, I also have that problem with a lot of brutal death metal. Oftentimes the riffs don't stand out that much, or if the production is particularly muddy, it can be tough to even tell different riffs apart from each other, which kills it for me.

Have you listened to Myrkskog? They're not purely brutal death metal (they have some black metal in their sound), but they're one band who don't sacrifice a focus on catchy, interesting riffs, and thus I find their music to be incredibly engaging.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Annihilation of the Wicked is better than I remember it being   Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:15 am

I'm tempted to re-listen but I hated it so much it turned me off from Nile and I've never heard another album from them after that.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Annihilation of the Wicked is better than I remember it being   Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:20 am

Wow I want to take back what I said about this album. This is pretty much one of the most fucking consistent brutal tech death albums I've listened to right next to Cryptopsy's None So Vile. I will check out Myrkskog

None So Vile is a better album though
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Annihilation of the Wicked is better than I remember it being   Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:52 pm

AOTW is actually my favorite Nile record. I like how straight forward it is, and the production rules.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Annihilation of the Wicked is better than I remember it being   Today at 2:08 am

Back to top Go down

Wow, Annihilation of the Wicked is better than I remember it being
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1