Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:48 am

This is kind of like really progressive thrash metal, along the lines of Atheist but more punctuated with random notes and things. I think I actually like this more than Atheist... not that I've ever really liked Atheist, but I don't hate this anymore. I think I was pissed when I heard it because I was wanting it to be death metal, which this is not. What it is though is not bad. I don't know if I'd listen to this album that often, and it is a little disappointing to me how the song structures tend to repeat entire chunks of music towards the end of each track; it's as if the first section of certain songs were copy & pasted to appear at the end, sort of like St. Anger or ...And Justice For All. For the most part, this is pretty nice.

EDIT: I'm in track 4 now, Story To Tell, and I'm getting sort of tired of this album. I don't know if I'll finish it or not yet.

EDIT2: Alright, I ended up listening to the whole album. I can understand better why I hated it; the song structures can be pretty schizophrenic at times, and at times it sounds sickeningly happy, which kind of clashes with the vocals to me. I can see some merit to this though.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 am

I haven't spent that much time with that particular album, but have you heard Symbolic? It has a similar, not really death metal, style but is fucking awesome.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:50 pm

What the hell?

The Sound of Perseverance is awesome.

Sure, it's far from being death metal in the conventional sense, and the songs do jump back and forth in terms of tempo and tone, but that's part of its appeal.

I love the way Flesh and the Power it Holds moves from ecstatic (in that awesome drum-passage Lykathea Aflame stole), to deadly doom to some kind of up-beat thrashiness.

That said, Human and Symbolic are probably the better Death albums.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:54 pm

I haven't heard more than a handful of songs in between Scream Bloody Gore and The Sound of Perseverance, so I'll have to look into them. I'm particularly interested in getting Spiritual Healing and Human, and I'll probably check out some later Death as well, since I know some people prefer albums like Symbolic over TSOP.

Shrike, for the record I don't consider Atheist a death metal band either. That kind of sound they and later Death have, sounds like very technical, unconventional thrash metal to me. I really don't hear anything death metal-ish in them, whether it's the vocals or the guitar riffs or anything else of the sort. Maybe the drumming is a little similar at times, but then it's not like thrash metal never had blastbeats.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:56 am

Since when is TSOP considered bad?
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:56 am

Also Individual Thought Patterns is objectively the best Death album.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:08 am

Electroretard wrote:
Also Individual Thought Patterns is objectively the only good Death album.

Fixed that fer ya.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:24 am

Electroretard wrote:

Have you never seen me talk about it before? Tongue I used to hate it.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Symbolic is way better than ITP
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Human > ITP > SBG > Symbolic > Leprosy > TSOP > Spiritual Healing
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:25 pm

X-pert74 wrote:
Electroretard wrote:

Have you never seen me talk about it before? Tongue I used to hate it.

Dude, best guitar solo ever.

Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:00 am

tuggernuts wrote:
Human > ITP > SBG > Symbolic > Leprosy > TSOP > Spiritual Healing

That is the worst ranking of Death albums I've *ever* seen
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:50 am

It is also the most correct.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:23 pm

It's hard for me to rank Death albums because I love different things about each one. Symbolic is probably my favorite overall. TSOP is still awesome though.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Electroretard wrote:
X-pert74 wrote:
Electroretard wrote:

Have you never seen me talk about it before? I used to hate it.

Dude, best guitar solo ever.

Holy shit. That was mind-blowingly boring.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:49 pm

^^^That remaster sounds fucking terrible. Maybe its just youtube, but fuck that double bass is awful sounding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually   Today at 1:10 pm

Back to top Go down

Death's The Sound of Perseverance isn't that bad, actually
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1