Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:26 am

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/11/30/metallica-announce-the-name-of-their-record-label-and-reclaim-owenership-of-their-masters/

Their new label is called Blackened Recordings. Since they now have the masters for their recordings, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up releasing remastered versions of their older work.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:43 am

And they insert CGI Jabba into their songs.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Remastered CDs of their old albums were put out in like '94 or something and they sound fine. They're the CDs everybody owns.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:24 am

Really? I thought none of their CDs had ever been remastered; huh.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:06 am

All of the albums (dunno about Kill 'Em All, but the next three say this) have a "Remastered by" credit either in the booklet or on the back of the case, and whoever was responsible did a nice job of it. I don't have any of the original CDs so I can't compare, but CDs in the '80s were generally mastered pretty poorly, supposedly due to fear of wrecking sound equipment/speakers since CDs were fairly new, so levels were mixed pretty low.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:40 am

I think they remastered all of their albums pretty recently as well.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:07 am

Abnormal Freak wrote:
All of the albums (dunno about Kill 'Em All, but the next three say this) have a "Remastered by" credit either in the booklet or on the back of the case, and whoever was responsible did a nice job of it. I don't have any of the original CDs so I can't compare, but CDs in the '80s were generally mastered pretty poorly, supposedly due to fear of wrecking sound equipment/speakers since CDs were fairly new, so levels were mixed pretty low.

Hmm, I'd never heard that before about older CDs but that sounds plausible. I do generally try to avoid getting older releases of albums because the sound levels are often ridiculously quiet; especially compared to most CDs released in the past 15+ years Tongue
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:17 am

'Course, a lot of CDs now are mixed/mastered real shittily with that whole "loudness war" thing. I'll take a CD that's too quiet and with dynamics that are a little flat over something that clips, blows your ears out, and has no dynamics whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:36 pm

I think the "remastered by" on the CDs just refers to the conversion from Tape/Vinyl to CD. You can't slap sound that was mastered for vinyl onto a CD. It won't sound right.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:58 pm

It's only mentioned on the '95 reprints though. Discogs lists them as being remastered, and usually info like that for popular releases doesn't stay on the page long if it's false/unconfirmed.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm oldschool and was listening to Metallica pre-95, so I guess I grew up on all of the original masters. Not that I can remember enough to tell the difference, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings   

Back to top Go down

Metallica launch new record label and reclaim ownership of their recordings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1