Ask Abs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19
AuthorMessage
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:21 pm

Don May of Synapse is weighing the possibility of doing a UHD for Suspiria. He's already doing the rape-your-wallet premium route, he might as well charge $1020 more to author a UHD and make it a UHD/BD combo pack.

It'll be long before I get a 4K setup, but 4K TVs are really cheap these days. I'd like to get like a 75" or higher, or just get a projector, I'unno.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:20 pm

I considered a 75" but came back down and decided I really want an LG OLED 65", which costs a bit more than most entry/mid-level 75"-ers. But the picture quality is so hard to pass up in favor of size, as appealing as that prospect is. Waiting to have a happy medium of prices being dropped and having a cash surplus. Maybe as soon as next month, cuz the way the pay periods are scheduled, next month I'll be getting two extra paychecks (one for each job). Plus, one of the companies I work for was involved in a class-action lawsuit and I'm set to be a beneficiary for somewhere in the area of about five grand, which would cover almost the entire upgrade I want to do. That's supposed to go through next month, as well. So if there were a time it was financially feasible, March would be it. But, two things are holding me back from getting too set on that plan: it's stupid and unnecessary, for one. That, and I just moved out of a house and back in to an apartment, and the ceilings do a terrible job of shielding sound from neighbors. I've already gotten complaints despite trying to keep volume really low. Like, I can't even make out dialog from characters in scenes where nothing but talking is happening. Apparently music that's quiet enough that I can't hear it in the next room with the door closed is still loud enough to travel upward and piss off my upstairs neighbor. So yeah, if I bought a new TV, UHD player and receiver now, I'd basically have to get my satisfaction out of them by looking at them turned off rather than playing music and movies.

So yeah, maybe later this year or next year.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Phenomena and Brain Damage are up for pre-order at the Arrow store. It's cheaper there than getting them from Amazon UK and/or Diabolik DVD. I had rewards points that took around $45 off the total, woo.

Phenomena is indeed a new 4K scan of the negative, meaning the full 116-minute or whatever Italian cut. The other two cuts (English international and US Creepers) are sourced from the same scan save for the short exclusive bits in either cut. I can't wait for May, I seriously love the hell out of this movie.

Also in case it was missed, Popcorn came out from Synapse and it looks great. No idea if they're doing a standard release; it's a website steelbook exclusive currently.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:37 pm

Did you see how much the Vincent Price Scream set is going for? I'm seriously debating selling mine
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:44 am

What's the going price? I see Amazon listings for almost $300, lol. Might be worth making some BD-R copies* and selling the set. I mean, I also think there's an Arrow set or two with the same movies.

*(Granted these Digistor dual-layered discs don't crap out like the HP ones did. So far, so good.)
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:30 pm

https://limitedrungames.com/products/limited-run-48-dariusburst-cs-ps4

Debating it. If nothing else, it shouldn't lose value if you have remorse over spending that much
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:27 am

I'm probably gonna roll outta bed to get it. I heard it's a perfect shmup for beginners, and one of the best to come along in a long time. It's also a hotly anticipated LRG release, so I'd feel sad in the pants if I missed out. I watched some YouTube videos and I love the presentation of it (sealife theme, music, all the flashy text). I suq le ballz at shmups, but this one just looks really cool, and it isn't a bullet-hell so yay.

Normally on LRG games I'm sort of interested in, I pass and figure I can get 'em digitally for much less. But in this case, the disc and download are the same price.

Lotta folks are jumping on the LRG bandwagon now. There's Signature Edition Games in the UK, iam8bit did Hyper Light Drifter, and now Play-Asia is doing their own thing, and I'm super excited to get my copy of Cursed Castilla. All this competition to release digital-only games is awesome, and I hope somebody starts doing it for the Switch (although Nicalis is already getting some indie games out; if they published all the games I want at retail, I'd be a happy camper).
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Abnormal Freak wrote:
I'm probably gonna roll outta bed to get it. I heard it's a perfect shmup for beginners, and one of the best to come along in a long time. It's also a hotly anticipated LRG release, so I'd feel sad in the pants if I missed out. I watched some YouTube videos and I love the presentation of it (sealife theme, music, all the flashy text). I suq le ballz at shmups, but this one just looks really cool, and it isn't a bullet-hell so yay.

Normally on LRG games I'm sort of interested in, I pass and figure I can get 'em digitally for much less. But in this case, the disc and download are the same price.

Lotta folks are jumping on the LRG bandwagon now. There's Signature Edition Games in the UK, iam8bit did Hyper Light Drifter, and now Play-Asia is doing their own thing, and I'm super excited to get my copy of Cursed Castilla. All this competition to release digital-only games is awesome, and I hope somebody starts doing it for the Switch (although Nicalis is already getting some indie games out; if they published all the games I want at retail, I'd be a happy camper).

You should check out the other games in the series, specifically G. Darius (PS1) and Darius Gaiden (Saturn and maybe import PS1). I think both are on a PS2 compilation
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Thu May 04, 2017 4:50 am

It's dickballs DVDBeaver, but look at all that sweet, sweet detail.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_76/phenomena_blu-ray.htm

I'm more interested to see the new Arrow footage compared with Synapse's US cut, which was sourced from a film print. I'm just happy this movie finally got the treatment it deserves, and I hope Tenebrae will follow and the rightsholders will allow Arrow to re-scan the negative.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Thu May 04, 2017 10:24 pm

Are the most recent Synapse Steelbooks of both Tenebrae and Phenomena really not good enough?
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 am

How many times are you gonna buy that shit? I'm still just hanging onto the original Arrow versions
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Phenomena has become one of my favorite Argento flicks. Regardless, I always upgrade to the latest and greatest Argento. A scan of the negative yields much better results, so it'll knock the others out of the park.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Wed May 24, 2017 12:32 am

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=10379&d2=9841&c=3961

Jizzing.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Wed May 24, 2017 12:33 am

Synapse's transfer of the international English cut fares a little better, but still doesn't look too good compared to the remaster.

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=10378&d2=9842&c=3961

Last edited by Abnormal Freak on Wed May 24, 2017 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   Wed May 24, 2017 12:35 am

You know you want that hot 13-year-old Jennifer Connelly action in pristine HD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ask Abs   

Back to top Go down

Ask Abs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 19 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Dark Academy :: General :: Movie and Television-
Jump to: