The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What piece of literature are you currently reading?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed May 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Cghost21 wrote:
CnC6 wrote:

If any of you have real balls, you'll read both Remembrance of Things Past by Proust and War And Peace by Tolstoy within the same year. So fucking good.

Sorry I have other things I need to do in my spare time - like working so I can pay for school and other expenses - so I can't read 24 fucking 7.

I did it in high school, thusly didn't have those obligations. Partly tongue-in-cheek as is. Reading Proust over the span of a year or so seems to be the general timeline.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed May 04, 2011 12:56 pm

I don't care for reading much anyway.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Mon May 16, 2011 7:51 pm

I've started "Infected" by Scott Sigler.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Tue May 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Electroretard wrote:
Thinking about starting Blood Meridian. Good choice?
Picked it up on Sunday, so hopefully
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Tue May 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Variational Analysis by R. Tyrell Rockafellar and Roger J.B. Wets
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Tue May 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Greatest book I've ever read.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed May 25, 2011 3:22 am

you've obviosuly never read variational analysis
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed May 25, 2011 3:59 am

or Huck Finn.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed May 25, 2011 4:47 am

That book is even gayer than whatever cincy said
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed May 25, 2011 4:53 am

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is the greatest book ever written. To disagree is stupid and ill-advised, but still your choice in the end. But to find it's primary fault to be that it has some apparent "gayness" leads me to believe that you've never read any book, ever, and maybe don't even know what the word "gay" actually means.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed May 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed May 25, 2011 7:50 pm

I read way more math/thesis/tech books than I would like, so yeah.

Also Huck Finn is stupid and a boring fucking choice to pick as the best book ever. Unless you're an 89 year old professor of English at a college in Arkansas, you should probably expand beyond the horizons of academic/"safe" choices found in high school English books.

It's like picking your favorite films from IMDb.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed May 25, 2011 8:17 pm

Is House of Leaves good Cincy?

I'm currently alternating between Neil Gaiman's Coraline and P. Craig Russell's graphic novel adaptation, Coraline: The Graphic Novel , since I've got to write an essay on it for one of my classes.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Thu May 26, 2011 3:32 am

CnC6 wrote:
I read way more math/thesis/tech books than I would like, so yeah.

Also Huck Finn is stupid and a boring fucking choice to pick as the best book ever. Unless you're an 89 year old professor of English at a college in Arkansas, you should probably expand beyond the horizons of academic/"safe" choices found in high school English books.

It's like picking your favorite films from IMDb.

You know as much as I like to rip on roughdraft because it makes him all antsy in his pantsy, saying that Huck Finn is a stupid choice as best book ever is probably a pretty misinformed statement.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:30 am

tuggernuts wrote:

Just finished this. Fucking fantastic. Highly suggested.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:15 pm

tuggernuts wrote:
tuggernuts wrote:

Just finished this. Fucking fantastic. Highly suggested.

Just finished the sequel, Contagious, as well. 9/10 for them both.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Introduction to Derivative Free Optimization by Andrew R. Conn, Katya Scheinberg and Luis N. Vicente
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:11 am

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:47 pm

I was forced to read Huck Finn for my American Lit 1820-1960 course I took this fall. That book sure as hell knocked me on my ass. Being a bit of a linguist-nerd the whole vernacular-history-element was great fun for me. I wouldn't call it the best book ever written, but out of all the "classics" I've been forced to read, it was definitely the most fun one.

As far as the whole "greatest book ever"-thing, it always ends up being subjective on so many levels. I'll stick with "favourite book". Which for me, is probably Frederik Pohl's Gateway. Which none of you have read. After getting hooked on scifi in my late teens it was the one book that showed me that modern scifi could tell any story. Not just paper versions of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings in space. It should be noted that I read it before I tackled the big dystopian classics (1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451).

Coincidentally, the merits of the scifi genre is what brought me to this thread. I'm reading a book called The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, which feels like a cyber-punk-novel, but in a world without electricity. This is the first contemporary scifi I've read in years that feels like it lives up to the potential of both 80s cyber-punk and the dystopian classics. So far I'm only about 150 pages in, but I started with two short-stories set in the same universe (Calorie Man and Yellow Card Man). Essentially, it's hard scifi set in a world where energy crisis/resource scarcity has coincided with economic protectionism and Intellectual Property-rights gone mad. Scifi dealing with current issues through metaphor is nothing new, I just haven't seen it done this well in quite a while.

For anyone who's a fan of cyber-punk or noire-style scifi, it comes highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:36 am

Tender Is The Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Just finished Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt.

God I love this guy, and everything he puts out continues to raise the bar. I expected a book of chuckles, but there's some ridiculously beautiful passages in here. He pulls off the whole growin up as a nerd in the 80s nostalgia-vibe beautifully.

I can't wait for him to put out an actual novel (ZSW is more of an essay-collection). He really has the potential to do the whole "voice of a generation"-bit for the nerd-community.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:58 pm

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:09 pm

FUCK BOOKS
Back to top Go down
anarchyprophet

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:53 pm

I happen to have "Raven's Rants. The first Five Years." That guy is pretty good with Gothic Literature. I'm currently reading one of his rants called, "Anti-Social One" It's darn good. Now that's something that i can definitely relate to.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:29 am

I finished Fahrenheit 451. Yup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What piece of literature are you currently reading?   Today at 1:09 am

Back to top Go down

What piece of literature are you currently reading?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next