Share | 

Project Giana kickstarter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Project Giana kickstarter   Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:24 pm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/project-giana/project-giana

This is a platformer sort of in the vein of Mario, Rayman, or Sonic that is being developed for PC. They've made it to about two-thirds of their goal of $150,000, but they haven't reached it yet and they have another week to go. They released a demo today of two levels from the game - http://project-giana.com/download/ Here's a post I wrote about the demo after playing it:

X-pert74 wrote:
Anyways, this is a pretty sweet game! The second of the two levels is from later on in the game, and it is pretty challenging! Not in the Super Meat Boy sense, but in a more traditional way. The platforming itself is pretty neat. There are different tricks one can do to manipulate the world-changing feature. When you twirl, your character is in "cute" mode (if she isn't already), and when you dash, your character is in "punk" mode (if she isn't already). You can also switch worlds/forms by pressing one of the shoulder buttons (I played on the 360 controller). You can manipulate this mechanic by doing things such as twirling (which turns you into cute mode), then while you're in the process of twirling through the hair, you can change the world again so you are now in punk mode, yet your character is still twirling through the air. There's one section in particular at the end of the second demo level where this technique really comes in handy.

Any X-input controller is supported, and both the analog stick and d-pad on the 360 controller I played with could be used for movement. The game itself ran pretty well for the most part; the game switches between each version of the world quite smoothly. The framerate sometimes got a little shaky for me during parts of the second level, when a lot was going on, but it was far from unplayable. All in all, I'm really looking forward to this game! I already am backing it, but I may consider upping my pledge after this.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Project Giana kickstarter   Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:31 am

I fucking loved The Great Giana Sisters. Played the crap out of it on my Amiga back in the late eighties/early nineties. I never had a nintendo and that was as close as I got to Super Mario (ok, Super Frog too, which admittedly is more awesome). Great to see them bringing the franchise back, and the gameplay actually looks really inspired.

If I actually had a windows machine I'd be pledging.
Back to top Go down

Project Giana kickstarter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1