Share | 

The Dark Knight Rises

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 pm

I imagine the article is lol worthy, I'll read it in a minute.

Kerr is right, there's not point in arguing with Bryan over this. It's not some faggy arthouse bullshit, I knew he'd hate it. I also knew he'd go see it, and I'm pretty sure for the sole reason so that he could come back on here and bitch about it to us about how it was the worst piece of shit in the entire universe.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:57 pm

lol article was bad. Prime example of people taking films too seriously. Not everything needs to be explain and be 100% accurate to real life, get a grip. If you can't sit back and have fun with films I suggest you stop watching them and funnel all your angsty energy into praise for some black and white bullshit flick about a transsexual's on again off again relationship with a cactus.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:09 pm

I will agree with him that the relationship with Talia was really rushed and didn't seem right in the movie. However, if you're familiar with Batman's story, you get it. Talia is supposed to be Bruce Wayne's true love. They didn't really establish that in the movie, but since I already knew this, I had no problem with it.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:16 pm

I don't know, they had made it pretty clear that Talia had been trying to get in Bruce's pants for a long time. I figured Bruce slept with her because he knew he needed her help in the worst way after losing all his money because he needed her to protect the new energy generator. Even without the comic background, I thought it worked fine.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:22 pm

I thought it was weird the first time I saw it, but it made a lot more sense the second time around. They did have everyone trying to set him up with her.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:36 pm

I want to see it a second time so I can think about some of these things while watching.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm going tomorrow
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Was Talia a character in the other movies? I never saw The Dark Knight and it's been years since I saw Batman Begins.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:10 pm

No, but she's one of the major characters in the Batman mythos.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:52 am

Yeah and she's ruined in TDK:R. If you're going to go by the comics, then TDK:R is an even bigger trainwreck than I'm making it out to be. Thanks for even humoring a discussion on it based on my rushed post.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:22 am

I can't take someone seriously when they say things like LOL SO HORRIBLE NEGATIVE A BILLION/10.

You're just being pretentious about it.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 am

CnC6 wrote:
Yeah and she's ruined in TDK:R. If you're going to go by the comics, then TDK:R is an even bigger trainwreck than I'm making it out to be. Thanks for even humoring a discussion on it based on my rushed post.
I see the movie as taking elements from different comics and stories and making it's own story. Since I'm familiar with other story lines I can fill in the blanks myself and it doesn't cause me too much of a problem. Sure, you can find flaws in it... but what was there on screen is pretty much what I expected. And it kept me entertained for those 3 hours.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:29 am

I fucking love Talia from The Animated Series and from what I've read in the comics, but, y'know...it's Nolan's thing, and I think Nolan's Talia works well enough for what he wanted to accomplish. As said, the Nolan trilogy is culled from all sorts of different stories and makes it its own.

Anyway, I saw this Sunday night, and I kept waking up during the night having bits and pieces of dreams where I was like...a citizen of Gotham during Bane's terror, lol. It was pretty unsettling to watch on the screen, but when you're in a dream situation where you're actually in it, it's horrifying.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:51 am

Man. I really didn't like this. And no, I'm not like Bryan, wanting for Batman to instead paint abstract artwork with his dead parents as subjects while listening to The Cure all in black and white 16mm. I liked Nolan's other Batmang moviefilms, and didn't think it was possible for this to score any less than Batman Begins (the one I liked less out of the first two, but still liked a good deal). But I really disliked this. A lot. For some of the same reasons already brought up as well as some others. There's a chance I may like it some more with a second viewing, but I really don't see that happening again while it's still in theaters. Too much time and money to spend again on something I didn't like that at best would only probably get marginally better. But I imagine I'll watch Begins and Dark Knight on Blu-Ray in time for this to also be released and I'll re-watch them all relatively close to each other.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Liking TDK more than Begins is a bit odd to me. The former has the better story: Bruce's pre-Batman journey, the kick-assery of Ra's al Ghul, all that good stuff. I just rewatched both, and TDK does not hold up as well.

I suspect TDKR will get way less interesting too, but for now, I'm lovin' just how frackin' wicked Bane is, and the action is more engaging than the first two movies combined.

Also, I'm reading the Bane comics, and shit's pretty gay so far. I like the movie's approach much more to him simply freeing criminals from Arkham. The League of Shadows story is more interesting, partially because it ties into the first movie.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Begins is my least favorite of the movies. First time I saw it I didn't care for it at all. Seeing The Dark Knight is what really made me decide to give Begins another chance. I like it now, but like I said, it's my least favorite of the bunch. And to be honest, I wouldn't like The Dark Knight as much as I did if it weren't for the Joker.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:03 pm

I go Begins then Returns and then TDK.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 pm

i never said, nor wanted, TDK:R to be anywhere near an arthouse film. TDK was an enjoyable entertaining film that I rewatched last night, just to be sure I wasn't crazy about hating TDK:R.

i'd say tdk > begins > tdk:r, from Nolan's trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Rewatched it earlier today. Definitely better on a second viewing, and I think partially because I was fully awake and sober watching it the second time. The relationship between Talia and Bruce feels far less rushed on the second view because you pick up all the hints that everyone is driving Bruce towards her. There are a few plot holes that stick out a bit, but they're only very minor and nothing more drastic than in any other Nolan Batman film before, so people picking over them while willingly ignoring them in the first two are being overly picking fuckholes.

Plus, I don't get why the fighting choreography is being lambasted. It's no worse than in any other action movie I've seen that hasn't been based around fighting. Both Bruce Wayne and Bane were trained as Ninjas, not as martial arts masters. That's why their fights were more like street fights than any form of martial arts.

Also, after second viewing, still not really getting the whole 'catwoman was a pointless character' argument. She irked me far less on the second viewing (really, it was for the first hour or so she was kind of annoying just because she had a couple stupid lines that made me want to smack her) but she seemed a relatively pivotal part to the story to show that Bruce Wayne really was no longer Batman. Someone else could have lifted Wayne's prints and set him up with Bane, but it wouldn't have been as emphasized at the end that this really was Batman's last kick at the can.

Also, on the second viewing, I realized that Bane was far more menacing when he was barely speaking then when he was having his long speeches. For the first 2/3 of the movie, Bane just seems like this fucking intense psychopath hellbent on causing as much havoc as possible. Kind of loses it when he starts going on with Marxist propaganda. And on the second viewing, I didn't have nearly as much hate for the final Bane-Batman fight scene. Bane really takes it to them in their last fight, and the mask only breaks when Batman his him with the claws on his forearms which I didn't really pick up on before. And then Bane goes into that rage where he loses it and starts wrecking everything, pretty badass.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:20 pm

I liked Catwoman, but her role could have been removed and the small importance she did play could have been filled by someone else. I would have preferred that the Bruce/Talia relationship would have been much more fleshed out rather than just a fling and her joining as a member of the board...
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 pm

I see what you mean, but without her help there was no way that Batman could have beaten Talia and Bane. Like I say, I find her presence really emphasized the fact that Bruce Wayne was no longer Batman and could no longer continue being him. And in that regard, she kind of serves as Bruce's savior, given that they wind up together at the end of the film.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Fuck Batman, he doesnt even have super powers
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Terrible.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:06 am

Yeah, if you're going to take a tragedy and make it into something funny, it's gotta be done better than that. Case in point:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Today at 4:36 pm

Back to top Go down

The Dark Knight Rises
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next