Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:15 pm

X-pert74 wrote:
My mom and brother woke me up and dragged me into seeing this movie this morning. I wish I had slept in instead.

Better or worse than Prometheus?
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Way fucking worse. Holy shit I hate this movie.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:30 pm

You hate good things.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:37 pm

No, I hate bad things!
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Would like to see your nitpicky "flaws" for this movie.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:17 pm

I don't really have any. Well, aside from Bane's voiceover sounding really bad and dumb, and hating how loud the sound/soundtrack could get. Even with earplugs it got nearly unbearable at times. It was just a wall of noise at times.

I was in a general haze of tiredness while in the theater, and I dozed off once or twice. The parts I did see, however, were thoroughly unenjoyable. I hate seeing lots of buildings/entire cities explode in movies; it's not fun to see, and way too many fucking movies do that. I hate disaster movies as a result, and this kind of felt like a disaster movie at times, especially during parts like that fucking football field collapsing in on itself. I also don't like most dystopian fiction, which this movie kind of became as well. Then top that off with my not liking superhero movies, and there's just nothing here that would appeal to me in the first place, regardless of how exhausted I am while watching it.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:26 pm

But he's THE GODDAMN BATMAN

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm not a Batman fan though. I liked Arkham Asylum because despite not being a fan of him, the game itself was fun enough to make up for that, but I can't think of anything else Batman-related that I've liked.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:40 pm

I know you're a special person but I don't see how you can't enjoy something based on what it's genre despite how the subject matter is presented.

Maybe you don't like Batman, but if a batman film is well done you should be able to enjoy it regardless.

You don't like disaster movies but if a disaster movie is the greatest movie ever made you should still be able to enjoy it.

Heck I don't really like Westerns but when they are well done, like Unforgiven, I can get past that it is a western and enjoy an entertaining film

I kind of feel this way about PT Anderson too. Boogie Nights and There Will be Blood are films based on somewhat uncompelling subject matter but they were so well done that they are enjoyable despite the subject matter.

That being said I don't really like Batman the character much either. I've argued he's not really a super hero just a regular guy, and this and that, but really like the movies (well the good ones) plus the Cartoon. The movies deliver despite him being a regular dude. Tongue

Anyhow I'd probably give it another shot. Sounds like you fell asleep though 90% of the movie. I don't think anyone could enjoy any movie if they started at the end of it.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:03 pm

I thought Catwoman was done well, but was overall a pointless character in the film.

Kurt has terrible taste in everything, not sure why anyone's surprised at this. Too loud? Are you fucking kidding me?
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Who has argued with you that Batman isn't a regular guy? That's pretty much his thing... the idea that anyone can be what he is if they have the will and the means.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:09 pm

I didn't sleep through 90% of the film. More like 10%; 20% at most. Shortly after Catwoman left Batman's airship thingy, I remember dozing off, then waking up during Batman's first fistfight with Bane, moments before he tossed up some smoke thingy at him.

It's not just what genres the movie happens to be part of, although I do consider that an important element in my enjoyment of something (something could be the greatest example of its subject, but if the things that make it "good" are things that don't appeal to me, it should be clear that I still wouldn't like it). The way this movie was done felt incredibly bombastic and overbearing to me. So often during the film, I would be thinking how stupid everything in it was, and how little I like every character in it. I get this feeling from it, which I experience during a lot of superhero movies, that none of this could ever actually happen, and it pisses me off just thinking about it. It feels like it's asking me to suspend disbelief to way too great a degree, just to accept what's happening on-screen. It felt overly dramatic and "epic" and heavy-handed to me, just for the sake of creating a grand spectacle.

I have yet to experience a superhero movie that doesn't give me this feeling, which is why it's probably my least favorite type of film out there. I do like a lot of films which are unrealistic (particularly, action films which aren't related to superheroes), but there's something about the concept of a superhero, combined with the incredibly dead-serious take on them in most superhero films that grates on my nerves. It's like I'm watching a glorified kids' cartoon intended for a more adult audience; which I pretty much am.

Actually, one thing that I like about Batman more than most superheroes is that he doesn't have superpowers. That's another thing about a lot of superheroes that annoys me. It feels like I'm watching someone play a game where they have all the cheats enabled so that they're invincible and make everything die in one hit. Since the concept itself is so ridiculous, they have to resort to incredibly contrived plot devices in order to create some sort of drama, which usually results in the superhero being out of commission for a great part of the story (one example being Kryptonite). I hate that so fucking much.

And I do not have terrible taste in everything. You guys just get upset that I don't like the same things you guys like, so you mock me in an attempt to reassure yourselves that you are in the right and I am in the wrong Not Talking
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Loxx O))) wrote:
Who has argued with you that Batman isn't a regular guy? That's pretty much his thing... the idea that anyone can be what he is if they have the will and the means.

No one is. I'm just saying he's not a super hero, he's just a regular guy and that's why I don't like him.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:23 pm

You said "I've argued," I wasn't meaning in this thread.

And why does that make you not like him? It makes him that much more of a bad ass. It's a regular guy that can hang with beings with super powers.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 am

Just saw, was really good. Catwoman's character made zero sense. Hell, I wouldn't doubt that the first couple drafts of the script didn't even have her in them
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

CnC6 wrote:
Hated it. What a terrible, convoluted, sweeping pile of crap. I don't feel like posting a wall of text, but that was a really good example of how NOT to do storytelling.

And cat woman. How can anyone say she was a good character?

Raise your hand if you didn't expect Bryan to post something similar to this.

By the way, I'm sure you knew you were going to hate it before going in, so why did you even spend money to go watch it?
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Because, while I take issue with Nolan's direction in The Dark Knight, I didn't think it was that bad. And I enjoyed INCEPTION. TDK:R is a different story entirely.

http://www.slashfilm.com/15-bothered-the-dark-knight-rises/
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 pm

That article is so stupid and the author come across as really vapid. The "Bruce Wayne Is Down, Then Back Up, Then Down, Then Back Up" section is completely off the mark. Batman wasn't kicking ass and being aweomse after getting the knee brace. In fact, they mention repeatadly how he wasn't being himself and sort of sucked, took too bad of risks... It was like Batman: Year One all over again.

Did the author not notice that the Batman theme doesn't even show up in the movie until he climbs out of the pit? It's because that's when he becomes Batman again for the first time in the whole movie.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Yep, this author is a moron.

"Why Wouldn’t the SEC Just Overturn Bane’s Fraudulent Trades"

They address this in the movie. Fox says they can do this exact thing, it just will take a lengthy legal process. He even says "FOR NOW, you're broke".
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:57 pm

"Bruce Wayne Forgets to Do Proper Background Checks"

Catwoman is so crafty that she wears other people's fingerprints over her own. Would a background check really have mattered? He had no knowledge of Selina Kyle before this, and the only way he tracked her down is using a tracking device in the necklace she stole.

Dumb.

"Would Bane really just hop a flight with Wayne at this crucial juncture in his grand master plan, just to make sure Bruce has a front row seat to the world’s destruction?"

Again, didn't pay attention. Bane and Talia's plan was almost 100% about revenge toward Bruce Wayne for destroying the League of Shadows. Yes, they still want to destroy Gotham, but Talia says that they mainly wanted to punish Bruce.

"How Does Bruce Wayne Get Back to Gotham? –"

Oh come on. Does this even matter?

"Also, what the hell is the deal with this prison? Who runs it?"

Bane runs it. This is said at least twice in the movie.

"Emergency relief trucks pull up with ease."

Probably because Bane was letting them? How do I know this? HE FUCKING SAYS HE WILL LET PEOPLE INTO THE CITY, THEY JUST CAN'T LEAVE. He even specifically says that food/resources can come in.

"1) Batman dies in a blaze of glory, 2) Bruce Wayne donates all of his remaining assets to the betterment of children, tying up Blake’s storyline, 3) Bruce Wayne apparently figured out how to program the autopilot on The Bat? 4) Bruce Wayne survived the crash and is now enjoying a beautiful life in lord-knows-where with Selina Kyle, 5) Alfred is totally cool with all this, and does not lose his shit at all when he finds this out. 6) John Blake takes up the mantle as Batman, with no training, no resources or mentor. Also, no one notices that Bruce Wayne and Batman disappeared at the same time"

This is probably the dumbest point of them all.

1. Yes, that happens. Why is this a problem?
2. Okay, did this really need more than a quick mention? How else could we elaborate on this?
3. This did not need to be shown, and the reveal implies that Bruce is alive.
4. Okay, quick glimpse of relief at the end. This isn't a seperate "ending".
5. I am now convinced that this guy hasn't even seen the movie. Maybe someone explained the whole plot to him but left out details? One of Alfred's first lines of dialogue in the entire movie is talking about how he wished Bruce had never come back to Gotham and that there is nothing for Bruce in Gotham. Of course he is happy that Bruce is gone.

This is probably the dumbest article I've ever read.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:15 pm

To add to your point 5, Alfred says in that same little speech that he imagined seeing Bruce there. They wouldn't speak, simply acknowledge that they know, and he would leave. This is exactly what happens. He doesn't flip his shit because that ending is exactly what he said he wanted to happen.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Yep.

I just thought of something else too. The Dark Knight had the exact same style of ending as this one, but no one is complaining about that. Let's look at all the things that happen in like the last minute of TDK:

1. Batman takes the blame for Harvey Dent's killings.
2. Fox's "faith is rewarded" when the spy machine thing is destroyed.
3. Alfred burns Rachel's letter.
4. Gordon destroys the Bat signal.
5. Gordon delivers a eulogy for Harvey Dent (the white knight speech).

Hell, the endings for both movies even use the exact same music.

And note, I don't think there are any problems with TDK's "endings", I'm just saying that you can't apply this bullshit criticism to TDKR without also saying it about TDK.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:39 pm

I'll address your concerns after class, but you're giving shitty storytelling the benefit of the doubt without justification.

My concerns lie primarily with the HORRIBLE set pieces in the film, the HORRIBLE sound mixing and use of character (cat woman was terrible, and yes a background check would have done wonders. She wanted that Clean Slate program for a reason. Also the chick Batman fucked was a rushed, shitty, and meaningless relationship used solely as a poor plot device to give empathy and emotion to a shitty 'twist'), the fucking terrible fight sequences (you didn't address that, but from a choreographic standpoint, it was poor. The street fight between the cops and thugs was the worst.), amongst the hundred million plot holes and shallow, inept characters portrayed in the film.

i'll elaborate later.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Don't bother. You're being way too sensationalistic and hyperbolic. There's no way you're going to have a civil conversation about this. You aren't even making points, you're just saying things are "HORRIBLE".
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Really, you probably hate this movie so much because it had a budget of more than 4 dollars and didn't have douchebag 20 somethings mumbling about their feelings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises   Today at 12:39 pm

Back to top Go down

The Dark Knight Rises
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next