Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:48 am

Over the last few weeks I've been getting a bunch of music from the last few years that I had been neglecting. New Hip-Hop had been taking up most of my listening time, but the last couple days I started listening to some of the jazz albums from the last few years I grabbed but hadn't listened to yet. I had anticipated to hear a lot of stuff that would be really off the wall and bizarre and wasn't really expecting to enjoy a lot of it, but surprisingly enough, everything I've heard so far has been completely against what I thought I was getting and has quite frankly blown my socks off.

I know most of you don't care for jazz (or I don't think most of you do) in it's more, err, I guess I'll say 'traditional' forms which are based heavily on free improvisation. I can understand why this would turn people away; at times it can be a lot to take in. However, lots of what I have been listening to isn't so much based on improvisation over a theme. Instead I'm finding that most of the music is more akin to classical in the way that classical attempts to paint soundscapes. The improvisation elements are still there, but they aren't the main focus of the music. Instead the artists try to tell coherent stories with the music while still keeping the jazz feel.

To give an example, think A Love Supreme by John Coltrane. Despite it being an avant-garde jazz album, it's not the same ilk as the incredibly loud and noisy avant-garde jazz that Coltrane did later in his career, nor does it fail to adhere to msuical structure like Ornette Coleman's jazz or Albert Ayler's jazz where most people describe it as 'this sounds like they're all just playing random shit.' Each track on A Love Supreme tells a coherent story. Most of what I've heard is heavily influenced by this kind of jazz. A Love Supreme is still based considerably more in improvisation than what I'm about to show you guys, but that album attempts the storytelling aspect that I find most of these artists are utilizing.

Now most of this stuff, I've only listened to once or twice, so I can't give really in depth descriptions of the albums, but I shall try my best.

BADBADNOTGOOD

Recommended Album(s) BBNG and BBNG2

This jazz troupe out of Toronto blew my socks off when I heard them. This probably strays furthest from what I was talking about above, but they're so good I had to bring them up. Our good friend Bryan (lol Bryan) brought them up in the thread I made about 2012 albums, but I don't know how many of you took the time to check them out (I know both Blug and Shrike really liked what they heard). Both of their albums are fantastic. Their music is best described as jazz, hip-hop fusion.

Austin Peralta

Recommended Album(s): Endless Planets

I've only listened to this once, but I really liked what I heard. This is more grounded in traditional jazz with lots of improvisation and not quite as laid back as some of the other stuff. Still, it's pretty groovy and I definitely get the whole soundscape feeling from it. Fans of John Coltrane, Sun Ra, or any other Post-Bop/Hard Bop musicians will probably dig it. Album starts a little aggressively which might turn some of you off.

Nils Petter Molvaer

Recommended Album(s): Baboon Moon

When I first heard about this album, I knew I was going to have it just based on the album name. I heard this for the first time today and I've listened to it twice now. This really exemplifies what I was talking about above. The buildups on this album are absolutely epic, and the improvisation on the album takes a backseat to the underlying music, which always keeps driving the songs forward. A definite favourite from 2011 already. The only downfall is I think 'Mercury Heart' may be the best track on the album, and it's always disappointing when the rest of the album doesn't quite reach the quality of the first track.

Portico Quartet

Recommended Album(s): Portico Quartet

Only listened to this once. On the first impression, these guys stuck in my head as having a post-rock feel, but without the typical post-rock detriment of 'okay that was a cool riff 5 minutes ago, play something else asshole'. I'm not sure that's entirely accruate, I think it struck me like that off the bat just because of the first track on the album. The background music does kind of have that ethereal quality most post-rock does though. I have another album of theirs, Isla, which is supposed to be better than the one I recommended but I haven't listened to it yet.

The Aristocrats

Recommended Album(s): The Aristocrats

Okay, this isn't really anything like the other stuff, but I listened to this today and I thought it was a fun album. After the Barrel Roll will probably be all over this given its complexity. Straight up Fusion, kind of sounds like some wanky -core band, only without the heavy distortion, breakdowns, and shittiness. Most of it, for some reason, reminded me of music from Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2, don't know why, but I think it contributed to why I enjoyed it. The end of the song 'Blues Fuckers' made me lol.

Brad Mehldau

Recommended Album(s): Live, Ode, Metheny Mehldau (With Pat Metheny)

I need to listen to this guy some more, I've only tried each of these albums once. This stuff is more straight up Post-Bop, so again, not quite the aim of this thread. However, his cover of 'Black Hole Sun' warranted him a spot here (And even if it didn't, it's my thread so fuck off)

Tord Gustavsen

Recommended Album(s): Being There, Changing Places

This is mostly piano jazz, so there's not nearly the amount of shit going on as there is in Portico Quartet or Nils Petter Molvaer's stuff. This is really good though. This is probably the closest to classical of the stuff I'm going to post. Some really beautiful stuff here, yet the music as a whole has a real shroud of melancholy hanging over it. The only thing irritating me about this album is that my favourite song from this guy isn't on youtube (it's called 'Around You' if any of you care to dig it up).

Well that's all I've got for now. I have a bunch of other stuff still to listen to. I hope some of you guys actually listen to this and can find something you enjoy. If anyone winds up being interested, I'll post back with more updates of stuff as I continue to listen.

Last edited by Cghost21 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:11 am

I forgot one that I wanted to include.

Mathias Eick

Recommended Album: The Door

Another one I've only listened to once. Pretty nice stuff though. Really falls in with what I was describing. I have his 2012 album Skala as well, but haven't listened to it yet. Unfortunately there's next to nothing of this guy on youtube, so you'll have to check out his stuff for yourselves. Tracks I enjoyed were 'The Door', 'Cologne Blues', 'October', and 'Fly'. There is some live stuff, but I didn't check the quality.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:29 am

Really? Not even one person here is interested?
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:15 am

Every time I've opened this thread the amount of videos in the first post (I guess) just kind of raped my browser. I am interested in listening, though. Haven't gotten around to it, yet. I'm so behind on checking stuff out.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:17 am

The videos only slow my browser down for maybe 30 seconds max. It's annoying, but I guess I coudln't have posted any links at all and got even less respones lol.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:23 am

I've got some time.

Already love BBNG. Glad you do too.

Austin Peralta. Didn't dig the first track, but the second one wasn't too bad. Had a few interesting moments. Pretty typical 'jazz' to me; i.e. boring. Sorry.

Nils Petter Molvaer. Saw a lot about Baboon Moon when it came out, but skipped over it. This is good. His jazzy nuances aren't as pronounced -- i like the builds as you said, much more relaxed in its composure. This might sound like a knock against it, but the jazz is diluted and the melodies are plodding and stretched. I really like it; very interested in his older work (nu-jazz/electronic mashups are amazing: see)

Portico Quartet. Your links are down, but I looked them up elsewhere. First couple of tracks made me download the album. Much like Nils, it's minimalistic approach is what I really like. Jazz has some really, really great melodies and percussive lines when it's stripped of all the noisy, aggressive woodwind stuff; I'm just very particular about it. Good call on this. Especially dug this .track.

The Aristocrats. Sorry, sounds stereotypical to me.

Brad Mehldau. Cigarettes and silhouettes. Half a shot of whiskey at the bar downtown. The dirty soap in the dimly lit bathroom, a small tip for the blind washroom custodian. The jazzy newcomer on stage strumming out his soulful melodies to the elevator crowd. Sorry.

Tord Gustavsen. First track was beautiful. Those first 3 minutes were perfect. I don't like live stuff, so I skipped that. Checking out Being There now.

So yeah, all in all some pretty good stuff. Thanks for the post.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Yeah, Peralta and Mehldau are more or less straight up Post-Bop and I wasn't really expecting anyone to like either. The Aristocrats album was just fun for me, made me laugh quite a few times.

And the links for Portico Quintet aren't down? I just checked them.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:25 pm

"This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Must be a US thing.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm listening now finally. I saw this when it was created, but I usually have a bunch of other albums or songs people are telling me to check out so I won't be in a new music mood. I've already heard BBNG and it's pretty good. Portico Quartet can't be heard in my country I guess. The Aristocrats is pretty cool. Clearly guitar centered which is mainly what I look for in a lot of music.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:03 pm

All of it was pretty listenable at the least. The only one I could say that I really liked enough to where I would say I'd likely care to listen to on my own time was Nils. That shit was really good. And for whatever reason, I think Bad Bad Not Good is something I would normally like more but just can't dig all that much. It kinda sounds like if Kanye West were to say, "Fuck all you haters. I'm awesome at everything I do. I could even make a jazz album if I wanted. In fact, I just did and here it is." Jazz/hip-hop fusion does describe it I would say, and I don't like much of that stuff, really. Early to mid-era The Roots is still good, and the group Oddjobs put out an album called "Drums" that is fucking exceptional, even to this day in the height of my hip-hop-jadedness.

Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:26 am

CnC6 wrote:
"This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Must be a US thing.

Must be because I'm not getting that when I watch the videos.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:30 am

Ever since you posted bbng in some other thread, I've been meaning to check out more jazz. I did have a phase a few years ago, but it never went too deep and the only albums that stuck were the obvious ones (a love supreme, kind of blue, some david axelrod stuff). Really likng endless planets so far, will be revisiting this thread.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:34 am

If you like Endless Planets, then I probably have a massive list of shit you should check out (and I'm not posting it now, tomorrow when I'm sober if you actually are intereseted)
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:38 am

You know what, hold off on that for now. I'll work my way through these first. I'm listening to baboon moon now and I think I prefer it. The trumpet is insane. I actually thought it spinded way similar to the one in Ulver's Solitude, but that turnes out to be Mathias Eick instead, so I'm gonna have to check that out next.

On a side note, thus far, baboon moon is giving me a VERY Ulver-ish vibe right now.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:45 pm

I already like BBNG

Listened to Austin Peralta & Nils Petter Molvaer, will get to the rest later.

Peralta probably my favorite of the two. Both were good though
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:16 am

Got some more if you guys are still checking this stuff out. My suspicions were correct, Isla by Portico Quartet is definitely superior to the self title, so if you were digging that I suggest getting that.

Nik Bartsch's Ronin released an album called Llyria in 2010. It's pretty good; I've only listened to it twice though.

I've listened to Tim Berne's Snakeoil a few times, and I have kind of mixed feelings about it. Some of you might dig it, but I think it'll be too far out there for most of you. Sorry, can only find one link from the album.

Tord Gustavsen Quartet released [/i]The Well[/i] last year, and I really like it. If you liked the stuff I posted by him above, you should like this. Really keeps with the dark, moody atmosphere.

Finally, I think you guys would really like some of John Zorn's stuff. He's done some pretty bizarre shit with his grindcore/jazz mashups, but some of it has been really really good. I'd suggest looking into The Goddess: Music For the Ancient of Days, The Big Gundown (Zorn's interpretation of a bunch of Ennio Morricone's stuff) and The Gnostic Preludes for a good start. All three albums seem like more of a mashup between Jazz and Classical. Guy really is a visionary; I haven't even started to dig into his Filmworks series yet. Fans of Frank Zappa should definitely give the above three albums a listen at least.

Tracks from The Goddess:

Tracks from The Gnostic Preludes:

Tracks from The Big Gundown:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy   Today at 2:35 pm

Back to top Go down

Some Jazz I think almost all of you guys (even Kerr) will enjoy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1