The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:29 pm

I really like stuff that sounds really depressing. Wouldn't mind having some new things. Some of my favorites are Bloody Panda, some select songs from Gallhammer's Ill Innocence, and Asunder's Works Will Come Undone.

From what I remember of Warning, they were pretty depressive. Or maybe it was 40 Watt Sun? Or both?

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Torche- Meanderthal
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Electroretard wrote:
Torche- Meanderthal

how did i know you wuold post somthing as shit as sludge pop
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Loss is fairly depressive

I liked Lifelover a lot for a while, but I'm pretty sure people around here aren't too fond of them.

Coldworld (not Cold World)
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:32 pm

I have two different types of music that fall under this. This is because most suicidal depressive music actually makes me happy, but there is some that actually makes me feel at least a little bit sad, but not much.

Coldworld is one of my favorite DSBM bands, but they actually make me happy. You should check them out anyways.

For some reason My Dying Bride - "Like Gods of the Sun" has always been one of the most actually depressing albums for me.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:15 pm

I'm listening to some stuff from that Torche album. I don't really get a depressive feel from it. Does kind of remind me of Floor, though. I'll come back to that album later.

I've actually got an album by Loss but hadn't listened to it in a while. Skimming through it right now and it does have a depressive feeling. I like it.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 pm

I was kidding. Torche is like the happiest music ever.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:39 pm

And it probably reminds you of Floor because it basically is Floor. It's the main songwriter from Floor and I think someone else from them too.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:43 pm

O rly? I didn't know that. I'd heard Torche before but not extensively. I may have to do that now.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Depressing AND suicidal? I don't really know about both simultaneously, exactly, more specifically about the depressing part since I don't often pay all that close of attention to lyrics across all genres that I listen to. And I'm the same as galder in that most depressing music actually makes me happy, but then of course sometimes some actually does get me down, but down to a place where I maybe actually want to be at that time, if that makes any sense. I don't know, it depends on the song and what's happening in life at the time. But a short list would be:

The Gault

Ed's clean but still "difficult" vocals combined with the drooping bass and careening overhead guitar make for quite the atmosphere. Everything shines separately in this album but also of course have moments of coming together and just really hitting hard. Super depressing album.

Difficult love and love lost soul/r&b/60s and 70s rock/Motown stuff:

Alternative folk/country/singer-songwriter stuff. Made stronger by either becoming more loud and grandiose, from things like loud singers (but not always "strong" necesarily; sometimes weak and/or cracking vocals add to it) or maybe the addition of strings or something, or going to the other extreme and just being really somber and minimal:

Hmm...I guess I either don't listen to or maybe just don't consider a whole lot of metal very depressing. I know I like stuff that fits those descriptions/sub-sub-genres, but I guess I just like the sound of it and don't find it all that depressive personally or at least can't connect to it on that intimate of a level. But stuff like Austere, Gris, Asunder like you mentioned, and some others are yeah pretty depressive in sound and atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:44 pm

I'ts probably just for the context, but I think that Alice in Chains' self titled and unplugged albums are about the most depressing things I've ever heard
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm getting through this stuff even if it is a little bit slowly. Listening to Coldworld right now and I like it. And I really like the way the vocals sound in this buried so far beneath the music. Good stuff.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:49 am

No Xasthur?

I'm not a huge fan, though I love his vocals, but I'd say he's pretty much the biggest US DSBM name I can think of.

Thränenkind and Heretoir do occasionally get lumped into the DSBM-category, but I don't find them that depressive.

Austere does have DSBM-esque vocals, but I think their tracks tend to be a bit too epic/soaring to be really depressive.

Woods of Desolation is a good bet too (look up Leaden Sky Torn).
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:44 am

But for serious: this song isn't metal, but I always thought it was super sad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAF2Lq8eRGA

It's about a dude waiting to be hanged. Pretty depressing.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Shrike wrote:
No Xasthur?

I'm not a huge fan, though I love his vocals, but I'd say he's pretty much the biggest US DSBM name I can think of.

Thränenkind and Heretoir do occasionally get lumped into the DSBM-category, but I don't find them that depressive.

Austere does have DSBM-esque vocals, but I think their tracks tend to be a bit too epic/soaring to be really depressive.

Woods of Desolation is a good bet too (look up Leaden Sky Torn).

There are some depressing Xasthur songs, mostly more towards his middle era Defective Epitaph and Subliminal Genocide stuff. Otherwise, I tend to lump him into the makes me happy style of DSBM. I love Woods of Desolation, but they make me really happy.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Woods of Desolation is too cheesy to be sad, lol.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:19 am

Maybe not the most depressing but something about Lyrinx's Nihilistic Purity is extremely depressing,
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Electroretard wrote:
Black Metal is too cheesy to be sad, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?   Today at 12:06 pm

Back to top Go down

What's the most depressive and suicidal music you guys know of?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1