Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Tue May 29, 2012 7:49 pm

I know you know of some sites. Well I'm finally getting a tv and Blu-Ray player and want some stuffs, mostly classics/standards/lowest-common-denominator stuff first, which often means there are two or three of more versions. What's probably most important every time for me is the transfer, but I also often like to have versions with more/better special features and I'm gay enough to like the whole special edition bullstuff with like special packaging and all that. But when I'm shopping on Amazon, even if they carry the different versions of the same film, they often don't list all the differences and worst of all the customer reviews are combined so unless the reviewer makes special mention of which disc they're talking about, you have no idea. When it's something that like has a Criterion, that makes it more obvious, but otherwise it's difficult since I've paiz zero attention to Blu-Rays since their debut since I just knew I didn't have the time or money for them. And to be honest, I don't think I have enough interest or money to do the whole mulit-region thing, so I wanna keep everything to North American releases.

I suppose if you can tell me about a few specific discs if you just happen to know then that'd be cool:

All the Aliens. I have the DVD quadrilogy but the Blu-Ray set is half off for $40 on Amazon right now. Good deal? Good set or is there another one?

Silence of the Lambs: I see two on Amazon. One with the original poster art. One with the DVD 2-Disc special edition art.

Seven: looks like there's a "book" edition and some other one. Is the book a sign that it's always the best version?

The Thing: I only see one version, but I think I remember you talking shit about it. Is it awful? Will it at least look better than my DVD and be worth the $8 (current Amazon price) since it's one of my favorite movies ever?

Big Lebowski: Again, a book and a regular. The book's actually cheaper here.

DANK U IF U CAN HELP
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Tue May 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Books usually have the same transfer but there are times when a new transfer comes out. With Seven, the two versions are the same, the book case coming with a fairly hefty booklet. I got the regular edition because it was like 12 bucks.

$40 for the Alien box is great. Really nice set.

The Thing looks all right. More detail than the DVD, but it was grain scrubbed and so looks less filmic. That's how I remember it anyway. There may be a comparison at caps-a-holic.com.

Don't know anything about the Silence of the Lambs and The Big Lebowski discs. Check Blu-ray.com which should note the differences (extras, transfer), and their screen caps are all right when signed in (only way to view 'em 1080).

caps-a-holic, Land of Whimsy, Cinema Squid, and Kentai Blog are sites I frequent for caps and reviews. I also trust Robert A. Harris to know his shit; he has his own sub-forum at Home Threater Forum.

Then there's AVS Forum as like a last-ditch place I hit up if nobody else has covered anything. There's a guy named Xylon who posts good caps. He always has the tag *PIX* in his post headers, so I do a search for a movie plus that.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Supposing you love the Evil Dead flicks like I do, the first has an amazing transfer (and both an open-matte and widescreen presentation where they actually framed each scene manually--it looks super nice).

Second movie looks great but only if you get the Lionsgate version.

Army of Darkness looks like sun-baked vomit but is better than Anchor Bay's DVD. Best to wait for a good transfer or buy the Region 3 DVD by MGM, which is the most complete release of the director's cut and was all sourced from 35mm, unlike AB's shittastic DVD. And it can be had for real cheap from DDDHouse.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Tue May 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Here's a caps-a-holic comparison between the HD DVD and the DVD for The Thing. Pretty sure the Blu-ray has the exact same transfer.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?vergleich=the_thing

The DVD looks to be from the same HD master, so I dunno why I thought once that it had more grain.

It looks pretty darn good, though I'm guessing it could look better. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Tue May 29, 2012 9:20 pm

lol, FUUUUUUCK, never mind, my memory wasn't failing me.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?art=&image=2&vergleich=the_thing_bd1&lossless=0#auswahl

German BD vs. US HD DVD

US, UK, and German BDs all have the same transfer. So never mind... HD DVD's better, BD was scrubbed. Fuck me sideways.

It's not a terrible transfer, though. Still more detail than the DVD. Hopefully a proper HD transfer is done soon.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Tue May 29, 2012 9:46 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:

All the Aliens. I have the DVD quadrilogy but the Blu-Ray set is half off for $40 on Amazon right now. Good deal? Good set or is there another one?

Damn. I've been watching this for months and it hasn't fallen below 50. Time to snag it up. Thanks for the post. Tongue
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Wed May 30, 2012 3:12 am

Ho-ly fuck, dudes. I hope you didn't already order, 'cos it's now down to thirty bucks. Grab that quick as you can! I've never seen it below 40. (I paid $40.99 last December.)

It's the Gold Box Deal of the Day.

And Splooge, if you already ordered, you could probably annoy Amazon customer service and get a refund on the ten smackeroos.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Wed May 30, 2012 4:38 am

^^^^

Came to post exactly this lol. I'm gonna order it, along with the actual Blu-Ray player, which is I think $150. I'll set myself a budget of $250 including the player, so hopefully I don't go too nuts.

Abz you know anything about Best Buy's trade-up program? I've seen it mentioned in their ads but don't know all the details of how it works. Can you only get $5 credit when trading up a DVD to an advertised/new release Blu-Ray? Or if I just feel like getting ten Blu-Rays tomorrow, for example, and I bring in my ten DVDs of the same films I get the credit for all of them of fifty bucks? DAT WOOD BE TITE
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Wed May 30, 2012 6:31 am

I don't really know how it works. Seemed a little cumbersome (or maybe I'm just stupid—likely) so I never bothered.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Wed May 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Just bought it. Can't wait to rewatch 'em.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Wed May 30, 2012 12:58 pm

SAMEZIES BUT ON MY PROBABLY BIGGER AND BETTER TV THAN YOURS
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Wed May 30, 2012 7:27 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
^^^^

Came to post exactly this lol. I'm gonna order it, along with the actual Blu-Ray player, which is I think $150. I'll set myself a budget of $250 including the player, so hopefully I don't go too nuts.

Abz you know anything about Best Buy's trade-up program? I've seen it mentioned in their ads but don't know all the details of how it works. Can you only get $5 credit when trading up a DVD to an advertised/new release Blu-Ray? Or if I just feel like getting ten Blu-Rays tomorrow, for example, and I bring in my ten DVDs of the same films I get the credit for all of them of fifty bucks? DAT WOOD BE TITE

I've only had my dad do them. I did it on Lady and the Tramp. So I guess they just take your old disc and give you the movie you want for the lower price.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:18 am

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=200620

$5 DVD-for-Blu program going on.

I might do this for a few Blu-rays, but with Amazon prices usually being so good, I dunno if I'll really find much that after $5 off would be a good deal. Too bad I didn't know this was gonna go down before I bought those two $10 Blu-rays from Best Buy recently, lol. Coulda brought two shitty DVDs in and only paid $10 total, fudge.

So I dunno. If you bring a stack of DVDs in and get 'em checked out and you're given the receipt with discount amount, I'd be afraid of getting fucked over. Like, what if I don't wanna buy any BDs? The discount apparently expires the last day of the sale, though some stores only give you till closing that day to use the discount, and you're not allowed to use it at another store. So it'd be a thing of popping in first, picking out the Blu-rays $9.99 and up I'd wanna get, put 'em aside, and then bring in my DVDs from the car. Only one $5 off coupon per Blu-ray (whether it's a set or single movie).

We'll seeeeeee. It might be better just to sell off my DVDs for $2–3 apiece and NOT use that money toward more movies, lol.

Part of me wants to upgrade my Batman Begins and American Graffiti DVDs to Blu-rays, but the transfers are so subpar I'd probably be better off holding on to my DeeVeeDeez and not spending any more money on these films unless better transfers come out.

Then again, they're a pretty significant upgrade from the DVDs, especially AG which looks like hairy asshole on DVD. At least the BD is sans the hair and dingleberries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better   Today at 9:57 pm

Back to top Go down

ABZ: Buying Blu-Rays and which versions of one film are better
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1