The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What's everybody digging so far this year?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm listening to The Money Store by Death Grips. I'm not getting why this album is being so highly praised. Sounds like rejected Dalek tracks with a guy that can't rap at all and tries to make up for it by yelling incoherently.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Cghost21 wrote:
Listneing to 4Eva N a Day. Liking it more.

I never really noticed that his music was kinda slow until you mentioned it. Now I kinda notice. I'm really not a fan of that kind of style of music either but he's different I think. I like that a lot of his songs are more personal, it's like I know him as a friend kind of after listening to all his albums. "The Vent" is a great song. Almost overlooked because it's at the end of the album.

Likewise on 4Eva N a Day I really like Red Eye, probably my favorite off that album but it's hard to say.

Even better is that he produces all his own stuff. bounce
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Cghost21 wrote:
I'm listening to The Money Store by Death Grips. I'm not getting why this album is being so highly praised. Sounds like rejected Dalek tracks with a guy that can't rap at all and tries to make up for it by yelling incoherently.

He does a bit of everything. If you listen to his flow on Get Got, Hacker, and Culture Shock you can tell he's just really versatile and it's not all about the yelling. Yeah, they remind me a bit of Dalek, but these guys are less noise based and are more about an electronic type sound. I definitely hear some dubstep (not skrillex brostep) in there. They use some polyrhythms in a handful of songs, yelled rapping, not very typical samples/beats. Their upcoming album will have one sample of a Geto Boys song. They know their shit. Dalek is closer to the hip hop style than DG is. I'm not saying one is more experimental than the other, but they both push the boundaries of hip hop in different ways. I like both groups quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Dubstep is probably hte worst music on the planet, maybe that's why I don't like. Still don't hear any versatility in his voice though. At least when he's not yelling the music is listenable.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 12:15 am

Dubstep has become a broad genre, mostly it's become a joke so I feel kind of ashamed to enjoy real dubstep like Burial. Tongue

Clubroot is good too.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 1:45 am

Dubstep is just stupid. I don't totally mind the few bands who have attempted to combine it with rock music though.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 2:45 am

Hyper Crush incorporated dubstep into their music fairly well.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 2:49 am

I've heard so much of that crap just around town, even if it is good, as soon as I get a hint of it I get instantly turned off.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 2:50 am

Yeah, it pretty much just sucks. It can be done well, though. That Alex Clare guy has a dubstep section in one of his singles... can't think of the name... and I fucking loved it.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 3:02 am

Burial is the only kind of dub I really am okay with too
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 4:29 am

Cghost21 wrote:
The main difference between Dalek and Death Grips, is that Dalek completely shits all over Death Grips.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 4:38 am

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Cghost21 wrote:
The main difference between Dalek and Death Grips, is that Dalek completely shits all over Death Grips.

yeah, I got that part.

Hey Blug, is Obie Trice's new album any good? I've never heard him, but it's got a really high rating on sputnik music, but really low on rym. The two sites usually tend to agree, or at least they're usually a little closer than they are on this album.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 11:30 am

Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 2:16 pm

CnC6 wrote:

Floored me. Downloading album now.

2012 has been pretty sparse for me. Standouts would be:

Earth - yadayada part 2 (no surprises, but very nice)
Burzum - Umskiptar (fucking Varg is fucking awesome)
Alcest - Les Voyage de l'ame (as a whole, their best full length)
Borknagar - Urd (first Borknagar since Quintessence that I actually enjoyed)
Worm Ouroboros - Come The Thaw
Sleeping Peonies - slowly disappearing

Obviously Kentucky is my favourite so far.

That's pretty much it.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 2:52 pm

CnC6 wrote:

Already got it. Since when do you like jazz anyway?
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Cghost21 wrote:

Hey Blug, is Obie Trice's new album any good? I've never heard him, but it's got a really high rating on sputnik music, but really low on rym. The two sites usually tend to agree, or at least they're usually a little closer than they are on this album.

Haven't heard it. I haven't actually listened to any of his solo stuff. Only heard him on that Eminem track. Tongue
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Wed May 23, 2012 7:23 pm

CnC6 wrote:

This was just wow. Shock
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Thu May 24, 2012 4:08 am

Hey Bryan, if you like that then you should check out shit like Bohren and der Club of Gore and The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble. It's kind of similar, but has more ambience and is more drawn out. You'd probably like it.

Bryan
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Fri May 25, 2012 7:29 pm

I didn't see if anyone said this yet, but the EL-P album is fucking great. Just started listening to it and I can already tell this is gonna be in my top 10 for the year

nvm you posted about it in the OP
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Fri May 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Dat new Regina Spektor might be good. I've heard one song from it and I really liked it.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 pm

After_The_Barrel_Roll wrote:
I didn't see if anyone said this yet, but the EL-P album is fucking great. Just started listening to it and I can already tell this is gonna be in my top 10 for the year

I haven't been digging it that much. It's kind of a let down for me. I think El-P put all his effort into the Killer Mike album. Tongue
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Sat May 26, 2012 12:10 am

Hollow_Viscus wrote:

I haven't been digging it that much. It's kind of a let down for me. I think El-P put all his effort into the Killer Mike album. Tongue

I definitely like both albums, but this seems to be more up my alley than Killer Mike's album. Both are seriously really good though. I like Death Grips more. I just wish I understood why you guys have to be so closed minded towards newer artists that are getting a lot of praise.. El-P, Killer Mike, Dalek are all established artists. Death Grips is brand new. They still haven't made it to the radio or tv yet. They are signed to Epic Records..that's a big fucking deal. It makes me feel like the big record labels are changing their tune towards less accessible/more underground sounding groups because they simply aren't making enough off the mainstream artists anymore. Plus Dalek hasn't been all that consistent lately (gutter tactics). Death Grips has 2 albums with only two weaker sounding tracks (Fuck That which has a minimalistic beat and Blood Creepin which just isn't as good as the rest of the Ex Military mixtape). All their material has come out in a very short amount of time and more is already on the way. Maybe they aren't as vndergrovnd as Cann Ox and clouddead, but they deserve just as much attention as them
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Sat May 26, 2012 3:43 am

Continues - Continues

Paul Barker - Fix This!!!

Electric Sewer Age - Moon's Milk in Final Phase

Highlights so far. Haven't heard much, but that sheet's all really good.

The only thing else I've heard from 2012 is Sigh's latest, Sturmgeist and G.U.T. demo releases, and a new EP by The Bombs of Enduring Freedom. All good, but the three video'd are awesomer.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Sat May 26, 2012 5:30 am

Hollow_Viscus wrote:

I definitely like both albums, but this seems to be more up my alley than Killer Mike's album. Both are seriously really good though. I like Death Grips more. I just wish I understood why you guys have to be so closed minded towards newer artists that are getting a lot of praise.. El-P, Killer Mike, Dalek are all established artists. Death Grips is brand new. They still haven't made it to the radio or tv yet. They are signed to Epic Records..that's a big fucking deal. It makes me feel like the big record labels are changing their tune towards less accessible/more underground sounding groups because they simply aren't making enough off the mainstream artists anymore. Plus Dalek hasn't been all that consistent lately (gutter tactics). Death Grips has 2 albums with only two weaker sounding tracks (Fuck That which has a minimalistic beat and Blood Creepin which just isn't as good as the rest of the Ex Military mixtape). All their material has come out in a very short amount of time and more is already on the way. Maybe they aren't as vndergrovnd as Cann Ox and clouddead, but they deserve just as much attention as them

How are we being close minded towards Death Grips? I've listneed to The Money Store 5 times now; it's just not that good. Sounds like they're trying to do what Dalek accomplished 10 years ago, only shittier. It has nothing to do with their underground status, it has to do with them not making very good music.

Mind you, it could just be too complex for me, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Sat May 26, 2012 5:31 am

Hollow_Viscus wrote:

It's kind of hit or miss with me. I don't know if it's as good as his previous effort, but it's still pretty solid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Today at 6:15 am

Back to top Go down

What's everybody digging so far this year?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next