The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What's everybody digging so far this year?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 4:22 am

Spurned on to make this topic as I've been grabbing some stuff from this year lately. I liked the Hilltop Hoods' new one Drinking From the Sun on the first couple go 'rounds, but I don't think it's as good as State of the Art. This jazz group BADBADNOTGOOD released a new one this year which I've listened to once and it was pretty slick. I've been hearing good things about Killer Mike's collab with El-P, but I haven't listened to it yet. Speaking of El-P, his new Cancer for Cure is pretty good too and probably ranks as my favourite of the year so far. I've got a few others that I haven't listened to much yet but will hopefully get around to it soon.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 10:26 am

Off the top of my head:

Burzum- Umskiptar
Panopticon- Kentucky
Les Discrets- French something
Mgla- With Hearts Toward None
Comus- Out of the Coma
Storm Corrosion- s/t

I know there are more, but I can't think of any at the moment.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 12:21 pm

The new Dragonforce record of course! But for realz though the new Swallow the Sun, Goatwhore, Overkill, High on Fire, Storm Corrosion, Diablo Swing Orchestra and Les Discrets records have all been pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Also Soen's debut album is really cool too. Sounds a lot like Tool, which is not a bad thing at all.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 2:10 pm

You probably wouldn't care for it, but the best thing I've heard this year is Monarch!'s Omens.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 4:19 pm

I might get Burzum's new album just to give it a listen. I didn't mind his last one that much.

High on Fire released a new one? Might grab that. And what's Diablo Swing Orchestra? That sounds interesting.

Loxx, what is Monach!?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Cancer for Cure is fucking excellent from what I've heard. He's playing a San Francisco date next month that I'm really gonna try and go to.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Oh yeah, the new High on Fire rips.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Cghost21 wrote:
I might get Burzum's new album just to give it a listen. I didn't mind his last one that much.

High on Fire released a new one? Might grab that. And what's Diablo Swing Orchestra? That sounds interesting.

Loxx, what is Monach!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2mZVOd0jWY
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 5:07 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Cancer for Cure is fucking excellent from what I've heard. He's playing a San Francisco date next month that I'm really gonna try and go to.

yeah it's really good. I think I like it more than I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 5:12 pm

RespawnedDemon wrote:
Cghost21 wrote:

Loxx, what is Monach!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2mZVOd0jWY

lol swing metal, I'll have to get that too. Song went on longer than it needed to though. This actually reminds me a fair bit of Ideamen, who are pretty sweet
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Monarch! is drone doom. You know, if you dig Bloody Panda, Khanate, and shit like that you might like it.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Electroretard wrote:
Oh yeah, the new High on Fire rips.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 8:20 pm

High On Fire
Killer Mike
Death Grips (seriously check their new album out)
Chimp Spanner
Napalm Death
Meshuggah
Unsane
Loma Prieta
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 8:25 pm

ScHoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music (This isn't really a collaboration it was just produced by El-P) One of, if not the best albums this year so far.

Hyper Crush - Night Wave - Had fun with this, you probably won't enjoy it.

Future - Pluto - Not super great, it's good. Feels like a he took the best stuff off his mixtapes, added guests, and some new material. He's kind of a love it or hate it kind of guy.

El-P - Cancer 4 Cure - Listening to it now, can't say anything about it so far. Razz

Jon Connor - The People's Rapper LP - This is really good, feel that it was overlooked somewhat.

Blue Sky Black Death & Nacho Picasso - Lord of the Fly ( http://nachopicasso.bandcamp.com/album/lord-of-the-fly ) - Odd, not for everyone, but free if you want it. Razz Album really grew on me after several listens.

BJ the Chicago Kid - Pineapple Now-Laters - Really solid album, kind of an R&B album though so don't go in expecting some rap or anything.

Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva N a Day - Already made a thread on this, if you haven't downloaded it yet then you probably should. He also released K.R.I.T. Wuz Here and ReturnOf4Eva on CD so if you want to include that in a "this year" thread I'll include those too. Studio album coming out in June. Looking forward to that.

Ab-Soul - Control System - Very good, Just got it last week so haven't had a lot of time to listen.

As far as metal goes

Anathema - Weather Systems - This is probably my favorite, though it's not really even metal I don't think.

High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis - It rips as others have said. Razz

Les Discrets - Ariettes oubliées... - I like it, you probably won't
Alcest - Les Voyages de l'âme - This grew on me, you probalby won't like this.

Borknagar - Urd - Haven't heard anything from them in a while but this is a pretty solid album.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Haha only two metal albums are on your metal list.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Mon May 21, 2012 11:32 pm

I haven't listened to the new Borknagar album yet, but I liked the one before it a lot. I'd be surprised if the new one lived up to it.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 12:21 am

I actually listened to Universal after Urd and didn't like Universal at all. Tongue
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 12:58 am

Really? Then I guess I'll try Urd. Not tonight though. Too tired.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 1:29 am

The new Melvins EP, 'The Bulls & the Bees' is pretty awesome. I'm sure the album that comes out next month will be good too.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 2:39 am

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
ScHoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music (This isn't really a collaboration it was just produced by El-P) One of, if not the best albums this year so far.

Hyper Crush - Night Wave - Had fun with this, you probably won't enjoy it.

Future - Pluto - Not super great, it's good. Feels like a he took the best stuff off his mixtapes, added guests, and some new material. He's kind of a love it or hate it kind of guy.

El-P - Cancer 4 Cure - Listening to it now, can't say anything about it so far. Razz

Jon Connor - The People's Rapper LP - This is really good, feel that it was overlooked somewhat.

Blue Sky Black Death & Nacho Picasso - Lord of the Fly ( http://nachopicasso.bandcamp.com/album/lord-of-the-fly ) - Odd, not for everyone, but free if you want it. Razz Album really grew on me after several listens.

BJ the Chicago Kid - Pineapple Now-Laters - Really solid album, kind of an R&B album though so don't go in expecting some rap or anything.

Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva N a Day - Already made a thread on this, if you haven't downloaded it yet then you probably should. He also released K.R.I.T. Wuz Here and ReturnOf4Eva on CD so if you want to include that in a "this year" thread I'll include those too. Studio album coming out in June. Looking forward to that.

Ab-Soul - Control System - Very good, Just got it last week so haven't had a lot of time to listen.

As far as metal goes

Anathema - Weather Systems - This is probably my favorite, though it's not really even metal I don't think.

High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis - It rips as others have said. Razz

Les Discrets - Ariettes oubliées... - I like it, you probably won't
Alcest - Les Voyages de l'âme - This grew on me, you probalby won't like this.

Borknagar - Urd - Haven't heard anything from them in a while but this is a pretty solid album.

I was listening to Killer Mike today, it was really good. I actually thought the first 3 songs were pretty meh, but after that the album slays. I picked up Blue Sky Black Death's NOIR album from last year. I haven't listened to it yet, did you get it? I heard it was pretty good. I haven't listened to 4Eva and a Day yet, but i have listened to Return of 4Eva a few times. I don't like it so much, I thought it started strong, btu after the first few tracks got really boring and derivative (mind you I really don't care much for the west coast, laid back style of hip-hop). I haven't heard of the others, but I'll check some of them out for sure.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 am

Cghost21 wrote:
(mind you I really don't care much for the west coast, laid back style of hip-hop). I haven't heard of the others, but I'll check some of them out for sure.

It's actually east coast dirty south laid back hip-hop, like outkast. Tongue
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 3:31 pm

oh, my bad
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Listneing to 4Eva N a Day. Liking it more.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Tue May 22, 2012 5:21 pm

I liked Borknagar's Universal quite a bit more than their recent albums before it, but I've also heard that the new one is very good/even better. I need to check it out soon.

As for and things that have come out this year:

Addaura - Burning For the Ancient, I'm still listening to this quite a bit.
Drudkh - Eternal Turn of the Wheel, it didn't seem like many people like it here, but I'm a fan
The Great Old Ones - Al Azif, I just ordered this, but I like what I've heard so far: http://thegreatoldones.bandcamp.com/
Wildernessking - The Writing of Gods in the Sand, I just ordered this one as well. It definitely has its hipster moments, but it's pretty good.
http://wildernessking.bandcamp.com/
Burzum - Umskiptar, there are some amazing songs on here, but as a whole it still hasn't quite come together for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody digging so far this year?   Today at 2:07 am

Back to top Go down

What's everybody digging so far this year?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next