The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Unexpectedly I got the night off work yesterday and managed to see Enslaved and Yob. First show in NYC. Enslaved was good, but Yob was the band of the night. They fucking killed it.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:30 pm

I'm seeing that show tomorrow night, should be good because I love Enslaved live. I'll have to see about Yob. I'm not that familiar with their work, admittedly, but I did see a decent chunk of one of their live sets once many years ago and found it incredibly boring and directionless. Doom is fine, great even, if it has a little variation and actually builds to something, but live Yob just seemed to play the same slow notes over and over again and then just stopped for no apparent reason and called that the end of the song.

Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:39 pm

La Dispute was pretty decent when I saw em with Thrice. I like them on recordings a lot, but I don't think the vocalist was able to really keep up with the music when I seen em. I did decide on going to the At the Gaytes/Converge/Pallbearer/Cormorant show next week.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:52 am

jeffnogo wrote:
I'm seeing that show tomorrow night, should be good because I love Enslaved live.  I'll have to see about Yob.  I'm not that familiar with their work, admittedly, but I did see a decent chunk of one of their live sets once many years ago and found it incredibly boring and directionless.  Doom is fine, great even, if it has a little variation and actually builds to something, but live Yob just seemed to play the same slow notes over and over again and then just stopped for no apparent reason and called that the end of the song.

I hope the show changes your mind about Yob. I saw them in 2011 and they were good, but this last time they were unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:12 am

Well, a slightly long update that no one cares about. Just came back from the show a bit ago. Overall, it was pretty good. I really kind of liked Witch Mountain. Eclectic Vision or whatever their name was were interesting and at least were having some fun. The guy on the saxophone was a beast. Then I gave Yob my full attention because I know there are a few big fans here. Well, I can say that they moved up from my quite negative opinion before to a mildly positive "meh". But at least I can understand why people like them now.

Then in my opinion, Enslaved put on one of their best shows I've seen from them. Great setlist all around, and all I really need to say is that they played Fenris, and that made my night. One of those older than 20 year songs that earlier in the night I was literally thinking, "it would be great if they played something from Frost, like Fenris." I got to talk to them a bit after the show, and they were all really nice and seemed to enjoy talking to the fans, which you always need to give a band that's been around that long some credit for.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:32 am

Yeah I was psyched to hear Fenris too.

It was also one of those tours where there wasn't a weak band, which was nice. Ecstatic Vision, who were my least favorite of the night, still put on a cool show. The music wasn't all that interesting but they were a solid change of pace and their enthusiasm made the performance fun.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:20 pm

That's weird about Yob giving you a better impression this time around. I've seen them five times now I think and to me they just always slay, same way, every time. Only thing that changes is the setlist and even then not greatly so. My wife's seen them three times now and said that she was just bored the first two times but then really liked them the most recent time, and I can't tell what they do differently from one to the next.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:34 pm

I don't know, maybe I was just in a different mood that first time around. It was in a festival, so maybe I was just exhausted by the time I got to them. Interestingly enough, Kerr can comment on that specific performance because he was at the same show. I seem to remember him saying they were the best band of the festival or something. It was the first, of I think two times, that we've actual met in person.

Speaking of wives, my wife was at last night's show with me as well. She's not the biggest metal fan, but she enjoys a fair bit of it. She found most of the bands to be decent, but she said Yob was the combination of everything she hates the most about metal in one band.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Time to murder your wife.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:10 am

The first time I saw them (around the time Atma was released) they played a mixture of stuff from throughout their discography. This second time they played a lot from Clearing the Path to Ascend, and because of that the set felt more united. The songs felt right together and the atmosphere never shifted. The entire performance was just so crushing, whereas the first time they kept shifting moods because they were taking songs from so many different records. I think that explains why I enjoyed them so much more this last time.

Plus it helps that Clearing the Path to Ascend is probably my favorite one of their records lol.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:43 am

I really wanna see Yob now. Wasn't able to go to their SF show that happened not too long ago.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Damn, Taake announced a show in NYC only a few days ago and it's totally sold out already. Sad
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Damn, I didn't hear about that, that looks like a great little festival. Taake are fucking great live. I got to talk to Hoest for a bit too. He was pretty cool. My friend said he saw a bag of cocaine in his pocket. Hopefully they play a few other places than just NYC.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:56 pm

When I saw Yob, I had been up for about 20 hours at that point... they played really well and it was cool that they basically played my favorite album by them in it's entirety. But yeah... the tiredness does not help with a band like them. By the time it was over I was relieved. I'd like to see them again sometime and be fresh.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:19 pm

Saw Elliott Brood and two shitty openers at Bottom of the Hill on Thursday night. Fuckin slayed. Been wantin to see them for like a decade.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Was supposed to open up for Solstafir next week but at the last minute they asked us if we could play a "mellow" set because they wanted all of the openers to be less intense than them.

We basically told them to fuck off and that we aren't going to change our sound just because they afraid of getting upstaged. Local promoter thought they were being unreasonable with that demand so he canceled the entire show.

Fuck that band.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:33 pm

Never thought they didn't suck but that's hilariously lame of them. Kudos to you fags for having cool guy principles, but surprising on the promoter to turn down making money and cancelling a show of such an established band.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:58 pm

You should have accepted and played harder than ever. Tongue
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:19 pm

Just found out TODAY that The Replacements are playing in San Francisco TOMORROW. It's sold and resale tickets are starting at $60, with no seats available together. FRICK
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:25 pm

R_Z I forgot where you live in CA, but I'm strongly considering making a trip up to Sac to see Anaal Nathrakh. Haven't seen them since Scion Rock Fest and that was wayyyy down south. Shit should be tight
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
You should have accepted and played harder than ever. Tongue

We thought about that but this local promoter has always been cool to us, so we decided we didn't want to put him through the hassle of being bitched at by them.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 pm

I'm in Sac. Well, I used to be downtown Sacramento, moved shortly after getting married one town south. Still work in the same place downtown. Where's Anal Nutsack playing? Never liked them just curious.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:35 am

Starlite Lounge
playing w/ Incite, Secrets of the Sky, and Plague Widow.

Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:49 am

I have a lot of interesting little things to say about the show, but I'll just say Angantyr, Make a Change...Kill Yourself, Cult of Fire, Shining, and Samael were all fucking awesome. Thantifaxath, whom I had never heard before were really fucking good too.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:51 pm

I am so bummed I'm missing Anaal Nathrakh's show in NYC. I have to work. Sad

Anyways I saw the Decibel tour last night. Vallenfyre was awesome. Pallbearer was great but their singer's voice was clearly pretty shot and that was a bummer. Converge put on the best performance of the night and totally killed it. At the Gates was awesome too, but couldn't top Converge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Today at 12:39 pm

Back to top Go down

So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next