The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
RespawnedDemon

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Yeah. I like it so far. There are some things I'm still adjusting to though. I also wish I had more friends here. The lack of a social life is really bumming me out.

Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:29 pm

Yeah, I've been in Baltimore for a little over a year now. I know a few people, but I definitely don't have a local friend here still. I just hang out with my wife. I guess I'm too old to make new friends, it's weird. I can't say I'm lonely because I've got my wife, of course, but a guy every once in a while needs that just hanging out with another guy time.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:57 pm

Yeah I'm in the same situation. My girlfriend is the only person I know here.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:07 am

Just got my tickets to the Decibel Mag show. Any of you guys seen any of the bands on the tour live? Do At the Gates, Converge, and Pallbearer meet expectations? I would ask if Vallenfyre do too, but there's no way any of you have seen them play lol.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:50 am

At the Gates are pretty decent live, I've seen them twice. I've never seen the other bands, though, not that I would be that interested in the ones that aren't Vallenfyre.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:35 pm

Converge has been great the two times I saw them. Will probably end up going to the AtG/Converge show even though it's at a venue that isn't public transportation accessible.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:52 pm

My girlfriend got me tickets to see Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway on my birthday. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Seen ATG twice. They're awesome.

Was wondering about Eyehategod. I've never listened to them much, but sludge tends to work well live. Any opinions on whether I should go give them a chance?

Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:39 pm

I'm not the biggest sludge fan I guess, but I found Eyehategod to be pretty terrible live. I believe we just walked out about half way through because they were the headliner, we came for the opening bands. If I remember correctly, the vocalists was just kind of annoying and they didn't really seem like they cared.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Ouch. Well I guess that makes things easier for me :p
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Two Gallants in Oakland again next week. Got my tickets then found out my schedule got fucked and didn't give me the night off. Gotta try and get it switcheroo'd. Wanna see Dispirit in Oakland in March also, it's at First Church of the Buzzard though which I think doesn't do presales, not that Dispirit needs it.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Finally picked up tickets to Messe Des Morts IV in Montreal. Quite the line-up, especially if you like bands that probably no one here cares about: Angantyr, Make a Change...Kill Yourself, Cult of Fire, Mutiliation Rites, Shining (I'm not the biggest fan, but it should be interesting), Samael (they're not that great these days, but they're playing the entirety of Ceremony of the Opposites at this show), Merrimack, plus a handful of other bands that should be interesting to check out.

The only disappointment is that in a city with one of the best BM scenes these days, they don't have any of the bigger Quebecian black metal bands playing. But I really can't complain much when I get to see Angantyr.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:47 am

EHG is good live.

I've got my tix for Piggy D and California Deathfest. Might see Swans cause some cute grrls are going, but I think I'll be bored during a good portion of their set so I'll wait until people post their setlists online during that tour
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Solstafir tonight.
Earth next week.
Jarboe the week after.
Insomnium in April.
Totalt Jävla Mörker later in April
Swans in May
Florence & The Machine in August
At the Gates (again) in september.

Seems this might be a good year.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Solstafir was weird. Nature Strutter opened up all-right, but I wasn't particularly impressed at first. But by the crescendo I was totally into it. Then they impressed with some good tracks off of Otta (Lagnaetti) and some stuff from Köld. Then they did two off of Svartir Sandar, which is boring. Basically, they played everything competently, and A∂albjörn is a killer front man, but the playlist was pretty meh.

They avoided all the metally parts of Köld (no Pale Rider etc.) and snubbed Masterpiece of Bitterness. I knew I was going to get something from the debut, but was surprised the set was so un-metal. The crowd was full of hard rock-people, whom I realize I hate with a passion.

That said, they still put on a great show. But the set list was mighty questionable.

Edit: also, Nordic Giants opened for them. I missed half the set because of a retarded ticket-line system, but the latter half was amazing in a "predictably epic sample-heavy piano and drum post rock"-kinda way.

Kinda doesn't work as well in video form, but their whole multimedia show worked very well live.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:20 am

Saw The Boston Strangler (straight edge hardcore punk band playing hardcore the way it was in the 80s) and then Enabler w/ Call of the Void and some of my friend's bands.  Both were 10$ shows so I had a good time without breaking the bank. Napalm Death played the same night as the Enabler show, but it sold out and I don't really like the bands that they're playing with.

Next show I may go to is Old Man Gloom w/ Coliseum.  Next month I'll get to see Pig Destroyer finally after waiting close to 4 or 5 years to see them since I got into them.  According to the internet they haven't played the bay area since 2002 or so
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:30 pm

Saw Yob in Sacramento last week and over the weekend went to Oakland to see Dispirit. Alaric was supposed to play with them but had to cancel and to fill their spot a pretty new death/doom band featuring two guys who have been live session players for Hell and Velnias called Spectral Voice opened the show. Holy fuck they ripped.

In May, Barren Harvest is playing a show in Oakland and then in June motherfuckin UFOMAMMUT is playing in Sacramento for some reason. I'm doing everything I can to make both of those.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:56 pm

I saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Saturday. It was amazing.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:31 am

I went to day 2 of Two Piece Fest West. Some great 2 piece bands out there in the metal and hardcore scene that people should check out. 10$ to see 14 bands, some of which are from many many many states away. Highlights.. HIRS was really good, Ragana was pretty good and the girls in it were cute, Dakhma was really solid PV, Godstomper played ~1 minute and their sound sucked, XTOM HANX is pretty good on their recordings but they didn't sound too great live, 100 Onces (a band my friend manages) was actually really good, and there were some other bands I enjoyed but they didn't do a good job of saying what their band names were.

Pig Destroyer/Despise You/Ghoul/ACxDC are less than 2 weeks away and Converge/At the Gates/Pallbearer/Cormorant is a week after that. Converge and Pig Destroyer have been my favorite bands since I was probably 18. Haven't seen Pig Destroyer still and have only gotten to see Converge twice.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:57 pm

Seeing Yob in Columbus and Witch Mountain in Pittsburgh next week. Vit is opening for Solstafir in April and Planning for Burial in May.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:04 pm

I saw American Head Charge, Combichrist, Filter, and Coal Chamber last night. The opening band was named Saint Ridley and they were just fucking awful.

It was cool to see AHC after all these years, but it was kind of a sad sight. Every other song was from The Art of War. They're still living off of their 'glory days' all these years and I don't think they ever really recovered from the drug use, etc. They did play 3 of the 4 songs I really wanted to hear being Violent Reaction, Just So You Know, and Seamless. Unfortunately they did not play Never Get Caught.

Combichrist I had heard the name before but never heard them. They were a surprise for me. Put on a great show and I really enjoyed their set. Talked to the bass player and the singer very briefly after Filter's set. They seemed like cool dudes.

Filter was just a fucking joke. They played alright songs and really all the ones I wanted to hear... but the vocalist was wasted out of his fucking mind. Stumbling around and rambling on about war and how him and Trent Reznor started industrial and blah, blah. He made some dumb comment about Beyoncé and Jay Z but I just wasted paying attention to him. Also didn't seem to remember Budd Dwyer's name which is really fucking odd because... you know... Hey, Man Nice Shot. He singing was pretty awful as well. I mean, maybe he's awesome on a sober night... but last night he was just terrible. That being said, he did do the coolest thing I saw all night. While they played Hey, Man Nice Shot he grabbed someone's camera that was filming video and showed all the band members up close and sang the chorus right into it and gave it make to the person after kind of posing with them from the stage. That was really cool but otherwise... jesus, he was a wreck.

And Coal Chamber was just damn spiffy. At first I thought it would be a novelty seeing Coal Chamber. But they were the band that REALLY got me into metal aside from White Zombie. So yeah... I started having some feelings when they started playing. About 20 minutes into their set I left the table I was at in the back and went down to the pit area. Then during one song I actually did join in their circle pit and knock a few people around. Pits aren't something I'm really into but I liked it when I was a kid... so I dunno. Just felt right at the moment. They played pretty well but the guitarist and bass player really did not seem into it. They probably are just doing Coal Chamber again for a cash grab, but whatever. I'm glad I got to see them at least once in my life. Also, Dez does seem like a douche. He had no direct contact with the crowd. He would tell people to scream or start pits and shit... but he didn't reach out to fans or come down to the crowd like most everyone else was doing. And then after the set him and the bass player just kind of left. The guitar player jumped down into the crowd and the drummer stood around throwing his sticks out to people and throwing out their water bottles to the crowd.

All around, I enjoyed it.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:28 am

Coxx you should listen to that band I posted the YouTube video of, I think you might like them. If you like them at all, they're also way better live and still touring up your way right now. I forget exactly where you are but maybe they'll still be coming close to you:

necroticdoom.com

Also, Agalloch announced their west coast dates finally, and just like many other very large and very respectable metal bands of late...they actually have a Sacramento date. Insane.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:44 am

They are, actually... but in 2 days. So I dunno if I could make it. It's only an hour away but I have a heavy work load. And it doesn't even say where the fuck it is in Spokane, lol. But yeah, definitely sounds like a band I'd dig. I like the song you posted.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:45 am

Just found out where it was on facebook in a matter of seconds.... I have to work Tuesday. But I might.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Electroretard wrote:
Seeing Yob in Columbus and Witch Mountain in Pittsburgh next week.  Vit is opening for Solstafir in April and Planning for Burial in May.

Ace. They're pretty amazing live.

This is my current list:

Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, Botanist (opening for Kayo Dot), Totalt Jävla Mörker and potentially Steven Wilson in April
Swans in Mya
La Dispute in June
Florence + The Machine in August (Way out West)
Probably At the Gates again in September.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?   Today at 2:45 pm

Back to top Go down

So any of you guys planning on going to some concerts this summer?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next