The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shrike

PostSubject: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:13 pm

http://skagos.bandcamp.com/

Hello, dark room with nothing but headphones. It's time for a threesome. You, me and atavistic black metal, getting all squelchy.

Edit: not quite like I expected. This is gonna take a few spins.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 pm

I swear I've been looking for new info about them like every other day for the past few weeks, including I think even yesterday. How did I miss this? Listening now.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:19 am

This is utterly amazing. It starts rather nicely for two and a half minutes and then sidesteps "quirkily" is how I'd choose to say it, taking a page from Agalloch's song from Marrow of the Spirit (not sure the song name) that had that lengthy moog interlude, perhaps. I like it, though I don't think it's done to quite as good an effect as Agalloch's employment of it (coincidentally, that was my favorite part of the entirety of Marrow of the Spirit lol). But the controlled mayhem begins just before that outwears its welcome, and it's just a non-stop festival of things that make me stop thinking anything and just sit in awe. And the way the song ends? I'm seriously blown away. Something else of note? The production is perfect throughout the entire song and all its different sections.

In essence, it was exactly what I expected, in that I knew I couldn't predict what it would sound like, but that I knew I would love it.

This, Kentucky, and Come the Thaw are the best early candidates for album of the year.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:19 am

lol are you declaring Kentucky ATOY before you've heard it?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:42 am

No. That's why I said "best early candidates", including it among two other albums.

But even if I had, you know I'm a delirious Panopticon fanboy, and that it will indeed be exceptionally awesome, so what's wrong with doing it even if I had?

[edit]: remaining slightly off-topic, I just got an e-mail newsletter from Handmade Birds and one of the "coming soon" titles was Kentucky. Absolutely no details were given for it, however.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:22 am

I wasn't making fun, just asking.

It should come out really soon though. It was just remixed/remastered by Colin Marston. The improvement in sound is almost absurd. It's the only Panopticon album that sounds like it was recorded in a studio.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:43 am

wow the first 6 minutes sucked, then it got good
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 am

second time around, I'm starting to pick out the pieced of the black metal sections. It unfolds very nicely and keepa things interesting from start to finish. I kinda prefer the more "creaky" vocals on the split, but they're still awesome. Now where the fuck is side b?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:38 am

In Kerr's closet, where he hides everything for himself.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Fucking Kerr...
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

lol i've never even listened to Skagos before.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Fucking liar.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:17 pm

for srs. I don't really keep up on the whole "cascadian bm" scene.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Thu May 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Whole album up.

http://skagos.bandcamp.com/

Album of the year. Has to be.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Yeah, I haven't posted yet, but I got it a week or two ago, and it's fucking epic.

I don't quite dig the spoken word (but those are only a few lines), but the weird ass Björk-esque clean singing in the middle is great, as is the finale of sides A and C. It's a definite contender, but I feel that some of the middle stuff is a bit too meandering for its own good.

Probably a bit of a grower, though. I didn't fall in love with their stuff on the Panopticon split at first, but in time they really grew.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Fri May 17, 2013 1:25 pm

lol i hate it
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Fri May 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Mine came late cuz mr. Flenser just plum forgot my order lol. I messaged him though and he shipped it out quick, got it just a few days after that. I got other stuff with it too, including special vinyl editions of some other releases that since had gone out of stock after I placed my order but before I inquired as to why my package was so late, so I was surprised to still have gotten the limited color editions of those vinyl I ordered. Then he threw in some extras for forgetting about me the first time around, which was pretty cool.

The Skagos side of the Panopticon split might be my favorite material from them, I loved that right away (and think it's leagues better than the Panopticon side, which is of course still good).

I agree about some of the middle stuff, but only slightly so, cuz I think it only slightly overreaches on its goal/wears out its welcome. But the bookends of the whole thing are fucking 11/10. Peste Noire will be a contender as will Worm Ouroboros if it actually comes out this year (which I doubt it will lol). Can't really think of anything else that's as of now either exciting me for the rest of the year or already still enthralling me. haven't been paying tons of attention/buying much, though.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Fri May 17, 2013 7:00 pm

What I REALLY want now are CD/vinyl re-releases of that long out of print/limited to cassette only material. That'd really get me wet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!   Today at 10:08 pm

Back to top Go down

It's been so long coming I don't know if I dare listen to it: Skagos' Anarchic A-side up on Bandcamp!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1