Share | 

People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:27 pm

What songs did they play? How long was their set?

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Like 70 minutes or sth. Songs were mixed, i think they skipped songs from the first album. Basically, it's all good.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:46 pm

I honestly couldn't even tell you. The only song that stood out was "I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots". Part of that is because every album after Two Hunters just didn't captivate me particularly well and I didn't learn them intricately or even listen to them many times long after their initial release (the biggest exception being the Malevolent Grain EP, which I do actually like a lot). The other part of that is that their set-up and performance leaned heavily toward a dynamic-less presentation of songs. Everything was monotonous and sounded the same. Feedback, build-up, rage for ten minutes, take a break, rage some more, feedback, next song. I thought it was a pretty poor performance considering the standard I usually held them to. And it's not by the mere virtue of their set-up of lacking a bassist. The first time I ever saw them was just two guitars and drums, and it was a far better show. Thankfully, the vocal performance was on-par as well was the mixing for it: I could actually hear the screams, which has been a problem a couple of times that I've seen them before.

It's clear that they weren't having an "off" night. This is how they wanted to play. I just didn't like it nearly as much as the times I'd seen them before.

Ash Borer was ok. Don't really have much more to say about them than that. Worm Ouroboros was the clear, shining highlight, even with their performance lacking the same je ne sais quoit from my virgin voyage of seeing them last summer. They did play two new songs from the upcoming album, though, which had much of an added value.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:25 pm

It varies a bit from show to show, but it's basically one or two songs from Black Cascade. two or three from Celestial Lineage, and I WIll Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots.

Although the first show we played with them they also played Cleansing, which was cool.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:50 pm

I was at the show R_Z was at and he pretty much hit the nail on the head. Ash Borer had some frequency masking. I'm a pretty big fan of their records so it was disappointing. I only know they played the first track of Celestial Lineage, some material off black cascade, and I Will Lay... They may have played cleansing and may have also played some material off their album before Diadem? Some of the stuff they played wasn't familiar to me.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:23 pm

They don't have an album before diadem.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:41 pm

That's cool. good to know I should be hearing that song for sure. also good that it's a fairly lengthy set.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Electroretard wrote:

wasn't there a demo or a s/t?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Here's a review of the same show I found on Worm Ouroboros' Facebook written by some guy with basically the exact same complaints I had lol

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2012/01/live_review_12312_wolves_in_the_throne_room.php

Though he's plenty more scathing and harsh about it. I didn't like regret going or hate it or anything. It was still ok, and Worm Ouroboros still slayed. And I have to say that I do like their stage decorations, actually. Not nearly as much as, "Hey, turn every single house light completely all the way down, cuz we got a couple candles we're gonna light and that'll be cool." That's way better. But I think they got too big and thereby draw too much attention for things like fire code violations to be able to do that in most venues anymore. Oh well. At least I actually did get to see that stage setup a couple of times.

He was pretty spot on about the crowd, too. Buncha lames. Disrespecting Worm Ouroboros and complaining about it not being metal and because they were girls and blah blah blah stupid gay broshit--much of the complaining happening DURING THEIR FUCKING SET which you can of course hear since their songs are basically "half rockin and half quiet and pretty". And the pit was absolutely everywhere during Wolves' set, and it never stopped. It was fucking stupid, especially when you consider that Wolves in the Throne Room IS NOT A FUCKING MOSHPIT KIND OF BAND.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:02 pm

After_The_Barrel_Roll wrote:
Electroretard wrote:

wasn't there a demo or a s/t?

2 demos I believe, but demos are not albums.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:32 am

roughdraft_zero wrote:
And the pit was absolutely everywhere during Wolves' set, and it never stopped. It was fucking stupid, especially when you consider that Wolves in the Throne Room IS NOT A FUCKING MOSHPIT KIND OF BAND.

Moshpits are stupid no matter what kind of band is playing.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:24 am

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
roughdraft_zero wrote:
And the pit was absolutely everywhere during Wolves' set, and it never stopped. It was fucking stupid, especially when you consider that Wolves in the Throne Room IS NOT A FUCKING MOSHPIT KIND OF BAND.

Moshpits are stupid no matter what kind of band is playing.

eh..it was a big deal at the WITTR to me. The band doesn't want people moshing to them, but people did anyways.. it just doesn't make sense anyways. I was pretty mad and attempting to push over the fucktards who were clearly drunk/should've been at a slayer concert. Overall though moshing is fine if it's during the right band/right time. Some bands just don't have much to watch during a live performance, but may have some pretty heavy sections to get physical for.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 am

I've seen WITTR three times and I've never seen douchebags there. That's weird. Not even one guy trying to start a pit.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:12 pm

Standing outside the venue right now. No bro's but a few hipsters. Which is to be expected.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:18 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
Standing outside the venue right now. No bro's but a few hipsters. Which is to be expected.

Tell us what they play and if any dumb shit happens like at the SF date
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:56 am

They played the first track from Celestial Lineage then another song from that cd (not sure of the name). Then they played either 1 or 2 songs I don't know the names of (probably something from Black Cascade). Not sure if it was one or two songs because they paused briefly but not sure if it was the end of the song or the start of a new passage. After that they played I Will Lay Down My Bones followed by Cleansing. They were really good live. I'd only put them behind Nachtmystium as the most quality performance I've seen... and it's not even their fault. I'm sure it was the sound guy's fault for it being off because the sound sucked the last time we came here. There was a lot of moshing for the first two songs which kind of put a damper on things because I was trying to be close enough to actually see them. The crowd either calmed down after that or wore themselves out. Might have been the latter because there was a hardcore sounding band before Wolves that played. At one point before a song the vocalist told them to stay back and off the stage because they were going to get burned up. Twice during the last two songs they stage lights (just blue lights on the banners and one orange light on the drummer) went out so they were playing only by candlelight. Not sure if that was intentional or not. Really good peformance, though. Sucks that may be my only time to see them if they call it quits. Btw, what did their banners say? I couldn't make them out.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:01 pm

I've been trying to figure out the banners for both shows I saw them at, but I could never do it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour   Today at 8:26 pm

Back to top Go down

People who have seen Wolves in the Throne Room on this tour
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1