HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Amazing Drum Programming

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jeffnogo

Title: Galder

PostSubject: Amazing Drum Programming   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:30 pm

With a majority of music, especially death metal, programmed drums are fairly shit and usually are bad enough to really hurt an album, but over the past few years I've come across some atmospheric mid-paced black metal albums that literally have some of my favorite drum work, and they're with a fucking drum machine.

In particular, the drums on Walknut - Graveforests and Their Shadows and on Forteresse - Metal Noir Quebecois are all programmed and I fucking love them.

Ignoring the bad taste in your mouth that the idea of programmed drums may give you, are there any albums that have programmed drums that you love?
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Amazing Drum Programming   Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Agoraphobic Nosebleed's Agorapocalypse has good programmed drums.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title: post-post

PostSubject: Re: Amazing Drum Programming   Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Meshuggah's Catch 33 has pretty convincing programmed drums. They pretty much invented DFH for that album.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title: frumpletoots jizzleteats

PostSubject: Re: Amazing Drum Programming   Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Drum machines are the shit. Always. Embrace the electronic sound.

PS: Fuck metal.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Amazing Drum Programming   Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Abnormal Freak wrote:
Fuck metal.

lol, shortly after saying that, I ordered the 2-CD reissue of Lykathea Aflame's Elvenefris from Willowtip. Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck. Great album, though.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Amazing Drum Programming   Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Programmed drums are not really a problem as long as they're produced in a way that they fit with the sound. If you hadn't told me Walknut's were a drum machine I probably wouldn't have guessed they were. That said, I don't think they necessarily have to sound realistic.

For me, albums that I know are programmed that don't bother me:

Ziltoid the Omniscient - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtSnXU8DfCA
(and when you know THIS is the alternative, you're glad for the drums: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve5XernuXRo)

Anaal Nathrakh - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-IxL5ZHcx8
I mean, it's pretty obvious that they're not real, not only are they too fast and consistent, but they just sound plain digital. But at this point I don't care because they're ROCKING MY FUCKING FACE OFF, and they fit in the mix. (As an aside, apparently they released an album in 2011, must check that out to see if they stopped sucking)

Petrychor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZtULEa8Ps
Once again, sounds nothing like real drums, and but they're buried in the mix and they give a nice drive to the song. They don't sound out of place and I really like the way they go from zero to 100 in whenever there's a pause. Which would usually bother me, but in this case it works.

Those are probably the only bands I know I like that have programmed drums though, so maybe I tend to shy away from them subciounsly :p Or I just don't know which of all my albums have fake drumming. Obviously I'm not counting electronica and the like.

On a side note, glancing through my iTunes I just rediscovered my Sculptured-albums, which I haven't listened to in like 2 years. WIN.

Abnormal Freak wrote:
Abnormal Freak wrote:
Fuck metal.

lol, shortly after saying that, I ordered the 2-CD reissue of Lykathea Aflame's Elvenefris from Willowtip. Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck. Great album, though.

You ordered the WHATNOW?

Damnit... I'm already over my budget. The remastered versions on Youtube definitely sound way improved. Except for the new version of To Give, which seems to have gone all symphonic in a very bad way. Still, gotta have it. Also, that guy's vocals on the new To Give are WAY better than the old Corpsegrinder-style burpbs.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title: Galder

PostSubject: Re: Amazing Drum Programming   Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Yeah, the new Anaal Nathrakh is pretty good from what I have heard.

Also, I really liked the programmed drums on all of the Mirrorthrone albums, amazing while 95% of the time keeping it realistic and natural sounding.

In particular, especially with the Forteresse album, there is just a driving forward nature that it has that I'm not convinced a real drummer could quite pull off.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Amazing Drum Programming   Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Shrike wrote:
You ordered the WHATNOW?

I was surprised myself. From what I can gather, it's been completely remixed (with two boner trax), while the second disc is the album as it was originally released.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Amazing Drum Programming   Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Anaal Nathrakh had a live drummer. They were so fucking good. What's been going on with Lykathea Aflame? Haven't heard about anything new from them for a while..
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Amazing Drum Programming   Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Stemage's solo stuff has programmed drums and I'm a big fan of his. The old Metroid Metal stuff used programmed drums and I like it. When compared to the full band versions, though, I'd say Metroid Metal does better with a real drummer.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Cghost21

Title: Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Amazing Drum Programming   Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Don't know of any real great programmed drum sounds. Probably have some stuff and don't realize it. Real drums are always better anyway.
Back to top Go down

Amazing Drum Programming

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1