Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form
HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

King Crimson and Frank Zappa

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Title : J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: King Crimson and Frank Zappa   Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:03 am

I'm trying to get into both of them, but I'm not really sure where to start, and they both kind of have a hell of a lot of albums (particularly Zappa). Suggestions?
Back to top Go down

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson and Frank Zappa   Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:06 am

Hot Rats
Back to top Go down

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson and Frank Zappa   Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:49 am

Essential KC albums:

In the Court of the Crimson King
In the Wake of Poseidon
Larks' Tongue in Aspic

Red is personally one of my favorite albums ever made. It's perfect.
Back to top Go down

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson and Frank Zappa   Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:29 am

See the thing with King Crimson is they have a real hard time throwing together a whole album without some shit filler song. Their best album is probably Red, but it's got that gay long ass song 'Providence' or something that I find just kills the entire flow of the album. Other than that, it's pretty sick. 'One More Red Nightmare', 'Red', and 'Fallen Angel' all kill it. In the Court of the Crimson King is probably the best place to start though, it really gives a flavour as to what the band is about, despite the second and fourth songs both being shitty (I can't remember what they're called). After those two, the rest of their 70's shit is all worth getting; In the Wake of the Poseidon and Starless and Bible Black are my favourites after the other two (actually I like Poseidon more than ITCOTCK but whatever). After the 70's Robert Fripp kind of completely lost his fucking mind and killed King Crimson. He did some trilogy of albums in the 80's, the only one of which I have is Discipline (which I've also heard is the only one worth having) and I don't care much for it. Then the 90's he did some project ConstruKCtion thing or something, I don't know, I never got into it. The Power to Believe is okay, but I would say get all the 70's stuff and Discipline before that.

I could go on for days about Frank Zappa, but I won't so I'll just give you recommendations of his shit split into the two genres of music he most dabbled: Progressive Rock and Jazz Fusion. Albums are ranked from best to 'worst', but don't take that the wrong way, all of them are fantastic. Also he did a lot of Experimental and Modern Classical music, but I can't see you really enjoying it a whole lot so if you're really interested, that find the shit out on your own.

Jazz Fusion:

Hot Rats
The Grand Wazoo
One Size Fits All
Make a Jazz Noise Here (Live)
Sleep Dirt
Jazz From Hell
Joe's Garage Acts 2 & 3
You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1 (live)
Fillmore East - 1971 (live)
Zappa In New York (live)

Progressive rock:

Overnite Sensation
Joe's Garage Part 1*
Apostrophe (*)
Zoot Allures*
Sheik Yerbouti (Live...kind of)
Freak Out!
You Are What You Is
The Best Band You've NEver Heard in Your Life (Live)
Shutup N PLay Yer Guitar Trilogy
We're Only in it For the Money
Chunga's Revenge

* - this is denoted because these albums are really more jazz oriented, but they have enough of a rock element that it could go either way. I'm just telling you because I assume, you being the fag you are, will be scared off of the jazz element and will just get shit from this list, so I believe you should at least know that when you're listening to this stuff that it's really more jazz in nature.

That should be a good start. I didn't include any bootlegs, of which there are many really good ones (Wazoo in particular). His live shit tends to be better than the studio recordings. Also, if there's anything I'd say to maybe stay away from, it's his early 80's stuff. Some of it is good, but some of it is just weird and really overly preachy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson and Frank Zappa   Today at 12:11 pm

Back to top Go down
King Crimson and Frank Zappa
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1