View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Is there any show on television...   Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:21 am

that ends episodes in a way that is worse than The Walking Dead? It's like at the end of every episode it just stops. I remember watching the second episode of this season online and the video stopped. I thought "Oh, this video must just cut off... it wasn't the whole episode." NOPE. They just think it's a good idea to cut it suddenly. The endings are so abrupt and unnatural. Jesus. I know it's a continuing series but couldn't they have something that signifies an episode is concluding rather than a very abrupt black screen?

I know I'm not really a fan of the show, but it's decent enough to pass the time. Just another gripe for me.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:35 am

Are you talking about season two? Is it any better than season one?
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:55 am

Not to me. I find myself becoming less and less interested in the characters. The racist Boondock Saints guy is cool, though. I'm just ready for them to move on.

Spoiler:

It reminds me a lot of the first episode, actually, as it really was a taste of what was to come. They hid under cars for what seemed forever. While watching that I kept thinking this season actually started off fairly interesting but it was getting boring by just watching this same thing happening for so long. I suppose it was meant to be suspenseful, but it wasn't to me. And that seems to be the trend of this season. Let's just drag shit on and on and just see how long we can do it.

You'd be pleased they've finally addressed the issue that zombie blood would be harmful to humans. Although, it was only brought up once and turns out they were using that bit to set up something entirely different. They're back to shooting/hacking zombies point blank and not giving a fuck.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:34 am

Guess I just don't at all care to pursue this show then. I really wanted it to be good and really wanted to like it, but for the problems I had with the first season to not really be fixed and not much else new stuff that is worthwhile, I just don't give a shit. Especially when I don't have cable or a way to watch it in HD on a big screen--one of the only consistently good things about it for me was that it looked good. Something tells me that a third season will be tough for them to pull off, and a fourth would for sure not happen (meaning I bet their viewer nubers are slipping).
Back to top Go down
GROCERIES

Title : sux

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:50 am

Aqua Teen Hunger Force has very abrupt endings.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:59 pm

I was going to disagree with you Loxx, but then I watched episode 6 and it ended exactly like you described. I wasn't sure it was over until I got the menu-screen up. It's not the scenes in and of themselves that don't work as endings, it's just that they don't have any kind of cue that it's over. They'd just have to add a fade or something.

As for season 2, the plotline that is your main complaint does bore me, and I can't remember it from the comics. However, I think it's just something that the writers are using as a plot device to spread the characters out a bit and give them some "alone time" with the viewers. I really enjoyed Darryl's bit in the Chupacabra episode. The meat of the story is what's happening where the main camp is.

TWD was always a character drama with zombies, rather than a straight up zombie-story. That action and tension were always components, but never the driving force. Unfortunately, the writing isn't quite good enough to carry the drama. Some of the actors are pretty good (Glen, Dale, Darryl, Shane, Maggie), and the characters as they're shown in the comics are very interesting, but the script just doesn't do the material justice. They keep overstating things. The exact opposite of a show like Breaking Bad or Mad Men which actually have killer writers. For TWD to work they'd have to be a lot more subtle.

I'd say that the last few episodes have seen a bit of a progression towards the better. Things are starting to happen in the group, Shane (who used to bore me), has gotten way more interesting. I think we'll see some major developments in the coming episodes, if they don't stray too far from the comics.

It's a good show, it just doesn't live up to it's potential. Put it like this, apart from Dexter and Chuck (so sue me, camp nerd fun ftw), I don't see that there's anything better airing right now. Though, to be fair, I haven't checked out Homeland yet, which I hear is very good.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I don't think The Walking Dead is a terrible show, but it's certainly not as good as people make it out to be. It's one of my least favorite shows that I watch consistently, but it's good enough that when I get bored I do turn to it.

Darryl is a good character. I enjoy anything when he is involved and I hope he gets more screen time as things go on. Shane has definitely gone through some changes lately and it makes me dislikes the character. Though, I'm pretty sure that is what they're going for so good for them.

I've never read the story/comic before so I don't really have anything to compare it to like others do. I really don't know what I want. Maybe if people would just chill out on the hype. I see so many people say it's the greatest show on television. Why? Because there is finally a television show with zombies? Because it's based on a comic and it doesn't completely suck? Meh.

But about the endings, it's so noticeable with it being on Sunday nights with Dexter to me. Dexter has a lot of cliff hangers or episodes ending when things are really starting to pick up. To me, they handle it well on Dexter because you feel it coming. You see what's happening but you know they're about to cut the show to leave you waiting for me... and I just don't feel like that with The Walking Dead. Most episodes it's just a "What the fuck... why did they cut there?" feeling to me.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:09 am

On the other hand, constant cliff-hangers suck. Way too many shows rely on it. Dexter is a main offender. Half the episodes of the show have ended with "OMG, how is Dexter going to get out of this mess?!", which gets old pretty quickly. I'd rather have a procedural show that tells a story in its own pace rather than force constant cliffhangers. TWD just needs to do some editing-magic and add some kind of cue. Like the current episode. Just have a final even more zoomed out shot and a fade and it'd have been a great ending that wouldn't have felt abrupt.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:30 am

Is this season only six episodes again? Is it already done?
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:40 pm

No, I think it's 12 or 13.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:38 pm

This season started off pretty damn good, but its dragging now. Not moving along very fast.

I'm not a nit-picky bitch though so I can enjoy it for what it is.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Yeah, so nit-picky to want a show to not drag on and be boring, and to have decent endings.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:57 pm

The end of the episodes not fading out is pretty nit-picky.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:35 pm

I didn't say I had a problem with them not fading. I said they end abruptly at inappropriate places/times.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:34 pm

I haven't watched the new season yet, but I don't have a problem with abrupt endings. Sure, they may be annoying sometimes, but I think they actually give it a more natural feel of where we are just watching a continuing story, instead of cookie cutter story sections designed to fit in a mold.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Welp, that was a good episode last night.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
GROCERIES

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:33 am

Agreed
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Fucking awesome.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:54 am

I didn't care for the very first episode of Season 2, but I've been liking the ones since then. The most recent one in particular was really great. I've found myself really annoyed with Shane, but his presence does help keep the show tense. Glen is my favorite character out of all of them though. I also like Rick, Darryl, Dale (that's the old guy, right?) and I liked Maggie (I think that's her name) at first, but find her treatment of Glen annoying.

I've never read the comics, but it's my understanding that the TV series takes a pretty different direction from the comic, after the pilot episode at least. Maybe I'll check out the comic series someday.

I do agree that the endings to each episode could be handled better. I'll often fastforward after that to try and get to the next section of episode, only to find that that's really the end of the episode.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:57 am

This weeks episode was good. Very good. The only thing that irked me was that they chickened out with the gore on the very last zombie.

If it keeps going like this, Season 2 might just end up being as good a show as it had potential to be after the pilot.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:44 am

Shane's character is the best thing about this season.

Agreed on chickening out on the gore at the end. Understandable though...

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
GROCERIES

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:55 am

tuggernuts wrote:
Spoiler:

Yeah. That was pretty weak.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:11 pm

tuggernuts wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

So... it's gone until February? That's odd considering there are only 13 episodes.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Yeah, apparently. Not sure what the reasoning is in splitting up the season like this. Fucking dumb.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:08 am

Just started watching first season..it's okay to kill time. Drags on a lot of the time. There are much better shows out there. May or may not continue with the series.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there any show on television...   Today at 9:46 am

Back to top Go down

Is there any show on television...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next