The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Love Hella, one of my favorite local live acts ever (haven't seen them since I was a teenager though), right up there with Red Tape (punk), Tera Melos, Giant Squid, Sister Crayon and Chelsea Wolfe. Love Aaron Ross at least as much. He's responsible for one of my legit legit all-time favorite songs ever: "Warlock" from his 2006 album Beginner's Blood, which is my personal favorite of his.

Check out "Warlock", see if ya likes it.

Depending on the album, he's sometimes hardcore aping Dylan's style and even voice (or raping, depending on your familiarity, view and defensiveness of Dylan), but I choose to call it really good Dylan worship with more than enough of a distinctive flair. EXAMPLE:

"Born Under a Heartbreak" from his 2003 solo acoustic album The Hallelujah Side.

Anyway, his stuff is really hard to find in a physical format, even with him being somewhat "local" to me (he's from Nevada City, which is only about an hour north-east of me), and he hasn't done shows lately that I've been aware of. But I just noticed that he's put all eight of his albums up on Bandcamp. I'm going through my favorites now, and there's even a few that are completely new to me. I've known of all of their existences, but just haven't heard anything from them because like I said, I didn't know they were online and physical copies are hard to come by. I'm gonna be busy with this fucker for weeks straight, I can tell. Fucking love this guy. You fags should too.

http://aaronross.bandcamp.com/

[edit]:

wow, holy shit. Been makin it through the newer stuff I hadn't heard yet...Paranormal Attitude is maybe as awesome as my previous favorite, Beginner's Blood. Stopped between albums to jump to the newest one Personal Hell, which actually only has one song up from it, "Don't Start Believin". Drum machine threw me off at first, but that fuckin guitar lick...fuck...this is fucking blowing my mind.

http://aaronross.bandcamp.com/track/dont-start-believin
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Zach Hill Hella?

Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:16 am

the very same.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:33 pm

You like Death Grips, right?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:29 pm

nope.

TALK ABOUT AARON ROSS DAMMIT
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:10 pm

they're playing in SF soon. should go. They put on an incredible performance when I saw them in oakland

but on topic, I enjoy this quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Death Grips or Hella? If Death Grips = I don't really believe you and don't care either way.

MORE PEOPLE SHOULD ENJOY THIS QUITE A BIT
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Wednesday, November 23, 2011
330 Ritch Street
330 Ritch Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 (United States)
Set: 8:30 PM
All Ages

Also Playing: B.L.A.C.K.I.E

http://thirdworlds.net/shows.php

Srsly the most intense group I've ever seen live maybe besides Converge. You should go

Death Grips.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:05 pm

I don't like Death Grips at all in the first place, and you thought Enslaved sucked live. I refuse to take you seriously on this matter.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:07 pm

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOU GUYS AND CASHEWS

I MEAN WHATS THE SIMILARITY WITH YOU GUYS AND CASHEWS

YOU'RE BOTH NUTS

Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:10 pm

SO FUCKING GREAT

And it was actually more like:

You're both NUTS!
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:06 pm

fuck yes the entire latest album Personal Hell was finally put up. It's fucking kind of weird but it's also kind of fucking really fucking awesome.

I SAID FUCK YES

http://aaronross.bandcamp.com/album/personal-hell
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:00 pm

MORE FUCK YES'S

http://www.facebook.com/events/232343516834751/

First Aaron Ross show I've heard about in ages, and it's up in Nevada City. I've been wanting a good reason to head up there for a few months, and this is an excellent one.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:35 pm

ONE MORE TIME

Apparently Spence from Hella and Aaron Ross teamed up again for a two-piece called Amaranth, and apparently this happened a year ago, and apparently despite being the biggest Aaron Ross fan ever, it apparently somehow slipped by me until just now. IT'S REALLY GOOD THOUGH

Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:05 am

YES I AM GOING TO CONTINUE POSTING AARON ROSS-RELATED THINGS IN HERE WHEN THEY ARISE EVEN THOUGH NOBODY GIVES A DAMN

Saw Aaron Ross last night. Solo acoustic set in the corner of a coffee shop. Incredible. Just guitar and voice. He even did away with the mic/PA after two songs. I was sitting front row (on the floor with legs crossed lol) so the loss of amplification was no real loss at all. Made it awesome. The place was packed and everybody (for his set, at least) was paying him pretty close attention. He's fucking mistifying to watch. He even played my favorite song of his, "Warlock," and it was very interesting to hear it without the full band, just him. I prefer the full band version from the album, but it, as well as every other song, was awesome.

I talked to him afterward and he said that he's been saving his money to do represses of old stuff as well as a release of a new album. And that he's going to do shows more often. I'm still cumming and shitting at the same time now almost thirty hours later. It jsut hasn't stopped. He also mentioned that the last two songs were new ones from the forthcoming album. They sounded awesome. I should have asked him if it was an album with that kind of setup again, just solo acoustic, or something different, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Annnnnd...he's doing another show at the end of this month, up in Nevada City again. I think he's opening. The headliner is another local foothills band called The Bears. They are fucking badical. I saw them right around Christmas 2010 in a hotel dining room that's a block away from the coffee shop I just saw Aaron Ross in. I wantsta go so baddz. I did promise the weekend guy here at work that I'd switch a shift at the end of the month with him, but I forget if it was a Saturday or a Sunday that he wanted off. FUCK I hope it was Sunday and not Saturday which is the day of the show.

Most the whole night otherwise was awesome though. Just being up there is nice. It's an old timey-ish kinda town in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas, around 2,000-3,000 elevation. The downtown area is really small but oh so awesome. It was all built up during the gold rush and most of it is actually either original from or inspired by that era. Seeing so many shops with hand-painted windows and dim incandescent lighting and old-world wood fixtures and construction, combined with clean air and skies and super nice and laid-back folks...love being up there. Plus we were right next to an awesome bar (so awesome that they regularly have Pliny the Elder featured among their 23 taps, though it wasn't represented last night, sadly) called Cooper's Ale Works, where I once saw Chuck Ragan play live, and the homies came with as well as that girly-girl that makes me feel funny in the pants-region, and we did some stuff just her and I that was pretty got-danged good for the ole confidence level, as well as other areas. There were actually also some shitty things that went down though that made it less than a perfect night, but holy hell, the good things still far outweighed the bad. Hope to recreate it again later this month if I'm lucky enough to still have the night off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)   Today at 11:58 am

Back to top Go down

One of my favorite folk singers ever (who was also in legendary band HELLA when they momentarily expanded)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1