Dark Souls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Anyone pick up Dark Souls?

I didn't know anything about it prior to an hour ago, but holy fuck it sounds awesome. Not sure if I want to pick it up though. Batman: Arkham City comes out Tuesday and will be the greatest game of all time and is sure to take precedence over it. And I don't necessarily want to get distracted by a 50+ hour game right now.

I'll probably get it anyways on my way home from work tonight if the 24 hour store has it in stock.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Never heard of Demon Souls, either?

I'm not sure what to think of the games. I've never played them and don't have the means to... It does seem interesting but I'm not sure if I want a game that is ball bustingly hard.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Nope, that's a PS3 exclusive so never had any reason to know about it.

Dark Souls is on 360 though, so fair game for me.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Oh, did not know that. My brother has a 360. He's not really into those kinds of games, though. He only really plays FPS games.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Well I decided to go a cheaper (for now) route. I'm going to do Gamefly. There's quite a few games coming out that I want to play, and a few that I've missed that I want to play still, but dropping $60 on each is fucking dumb.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Did you have a gamefly account previously?

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Yeah a few years ago. I'm starting with a 10 day free trial though.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:17 pm

I've considered trying it. I don't really play new games all that much so I don't know if it would even be worth the price of a subscription for me, though.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:20 pm

The only reason I haven't been gaming much lately is I only am willing to drop $60 on a game I really really want, like Batman or Mass Effect, etc.

But with this I'll be able to play more that I wouldn't want to buy, and if it sucks, oh well, send it back.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:15 pm

I played it at a friend's house. Might pick it up eventually for myself. It's slightly easier than the first game if that means anything to you, which I guess it doesn't seeing as you've never heard of the first game.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:17 pm

I seriously came to this site to make a Dark Souls thread lol

Demon's Souls is my favorite game in a long time, and Dark Souls is shaping up to be equally good. It's hard to say how far in I am, but I've defeated several bosses and still feel like I've only cracked the surface of the game world, and I'm about 15 hours in. Everyone makes a big deal of their difficulty, but it's not a detriment to liking the game. Like another one of my all-time favorites Ikaruga, every death or hit you take is your fault, so its not frustrating because you're too busy trying to get better. I would definitly try before you buy though, I loaned out Demon's Souls to a couple people, and some gave up on it right away.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:20 pm

In fact I would say the difficulty is overrated. Once you get a hang of the mechanics, level up, and get some decent gear, you can cruise through the game. Or at least I did in Demon's Souls with the spear + shield combo
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 pm

The difficulty is part of what is attractive to me.

From what I've read though, 15 hours is indeed just barely getting into it. Sounds like a normal playthrough will be around 50 hours.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:32 pm

What I'm hearing about the game lately kind of reminds me of a suped up Monster Hunter.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:11 am

Only Monster Hunter I've played is a little bit of the PSP one, and it is a million times more polished than that
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:15 am

Similar concept with the gameplay, though? Minus leveling.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:08 am

I've put in around 60 hours into dark souls now. maybe more. GOTYAY for me. I love the game. Has some incredibly frustrating shit in it that shouldn't be in there (some enemies can attack through walls in a manner that is more unfair than megaman, some areas have some whack ass framerate issues that can make falling off cliffs and wooden planks very fucking easy, sometimes you will die to the weapon TOUCHING you in the attack animation) Other than that it's pretty much challenging for all the right reasons and is worthy of your time and money. Also BAMCO dropped the fucking ball on the translation and the online servers. There is no way to play with friends, no way to get useful tips from messages, none of that shit like demon's souls all because there are many, many different servers and there is no way to select which one to be on. It's a great game don't get me wrong...buy it for the single player and randomness of who you play with.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:17 am

Monster hunter has more focus on armor crafting than Dark Souls. It's still very similar.. but with DS you level up and buy spells, etc. DS is more about discovering kickass gear or just average gear and upgrading it into whatever the fuck you want. Obviously Monster Hunter is mission based and DS is a true blue RPG that requires exploration.

Also..even with all that time put in I still feel like I'm just scratching the surface with this game. Demon's Souls was cool and all +I didn't do everything in it, but DaS is just way more content. Right now I've got about 30 points into endurance, 14 faith, 16 int, 16 str, 18 dex, 14 resistance(DONT MAKE THIS MISTAKE DONT PUT A SINGLE LEVEL IN THIS SHIT), and maybe 16-18 vitality? I'd say put points into str as many good weapons require pretty high str.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:50 am

DS claimed its first controller. Died to the Bell Gargoyle like 5 straight times and drove the controller into my coffee table. Somehow, I was able to pry the R button out of the innards with a pen and it still all works. And that gave me enough time to regroup and beat them on the next try.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:03 am

I didn't have much of a problem with them. Are you building towards magic or more of melee?
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:28 am

Melee, I don't even have a miracle or spell or whatever yet. The problem was the damn fire breathing that would hurt me even through my stamina/block. So I'm trying to burn down the first gargoyle, through his attacks, while I'm being engulfed by fire that makes it hard as hell to see what's going on. Once I had the first one down, getting the 2nd was trivial. Did it with my level 27 thief clad in leather armors, a +3 winged spear, and a +2 shield of some sort

My problem may be that I've done everything solo (and plan on keeping it that way). I don't really understand the covenant things, but I'm assuming you can get those guys to help you? Like the guy gazing at the sun, and the constant messages of "Praise the Sun"?
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:53 pm

yea but you have to be unhallowed to use them which most of the time you are not.

im on a break right now but i will continue later, I need to get my equipment upgraded I was having a hard time ubntill i found the drake sword with its 200 atk so i dont have to upgrade my str yet because its damage doesnt scale. Im also going to sens fortress asap and get that lightning spear
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Ugh, fucking gamefly. I was stupid and put 3 games in my queue, Dark Souls, Dead Island, and Assassin's Creed 2, and they shipped out the other 2 instead of Dark Souls. Gayyyyyy.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm

jthefrank wrote:
Melee, I don't even have a miracle or spell or whatever yet. The problem was the damn fire breathing that would hurt me even through my stamina/block. So I'm trying to burn down the first gargoyle, through his attacks, while I'm being engulfed by fire that makes it hard as hell to see what's going on. Once I had the first one down, getting the 2nd was trivial. Did it with my level 27 thief clad in leather armors, a +3 winged spear, and a +2 shield of some sort

My problem may be that I've done everything solo (and plan on keeping it that way). I don't really understand the covenant things, but I'm assuming you can get those guys to help you? Like the guy gazing at the sun, and the constant messages of "Praise the Sun"?

You can talk to the guy gazing at the sun before the bridge with the Hellkite Dragon and he gives you a summon stone. You can summon Soltaire (sun guy) before every boss I believe. Not sure what happens if he dies in the fight. I've never summoned anyone. You may need to be with that Covenant of the guy at Firelink Shrine where he teaches you miracles..not quite sure. There is a shield you can get in Firelink shrine that blocks 80% of magic damage. I'd google it if you continue having problems
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Ancient Rune wrote:
yea but you have to be unhallowed to use them which most of the time you are not.

im on a break right now but i will continue later, I need to get my equipment upgraded I was having a hard time ubntill i found the drake sword with its 200 atk so i dont have to upgrade my str yet because its damage doesnt scale. Im also going to sens fortress asap and get that lightning spear

Don't upgrade the FDS(Drake Sword aka Flying Dragon Sword). I upgraded it and sure it does more damage, but it's totally not worth it..10k souls and one of those fairly hard to find stones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Souls   Today at 6:23 am

Back to top Go down

Dark Souls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next