HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Streets of Rage is fun

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Streets of Rage is fun   Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:59 am

I recently started buying a bunch of Genesis games online, since I've had the system for a few years now but haven't really touched it. The initial three games I got for the system were Contra: Hard Corps (gotten all endings, and beaten as Sheena without dying), Valis: The Phantasm Soldier (great soundtrack, but the gameplay itself is iffy), and Streets of Rage. I'd only ever played through the first stage before, because I didn't really feel like playing on past that, but recently I felt the urge to try and beat it.

I've never been a huge fan of beat-em-ups (Turtles in Time on the Super NES is awesome, but I haven't gotten into very many others), but I'm really liking Streets of Rage. I've heard it's archaic as far as beat-em-ups go, but I really don't feel so at all. I think its combat system is very interesting and varied, and it's fun to master. It's not cheap in the way that some arcade beat-em-up games I've played have been. It's still really difficult, yet it's fair.

I'm currently trying to beat the game on Normal. I've made it as far as Stage 6 on one credit, and have made it all the way to the doors outside the final boss chamber, but haven't been able to beat the game yet. The main thing hanging me up are the fucking Wolverine-clawed asshole bosses. Fuck those guys, seriously. The clones of me are also pretty annoying, especially in the last level where you can't call your cop buddy to aid you. If it weren't for not having access to him in the last stage, I probably would have beaten the game by now. I'll just have to try again!

After this I'll check out Streets of Rage 2.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:30 am

Final fight is so much better because it has Haggar, he who pile drives Odin from space
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:52 am

The Streets of Rage port to Xbox Live Arcade is pretty shitty, original games were way better.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:52 am

Another Genesis game you need to get is Battletoads.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Bare Knuckle (I think the name is) the japanese version of Streets of Rage is way more awesome because you get to beat up trannies.

That being said I like SoR3 the most because you get to use that Kangaroo. :p
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:01 pm

tuggernuts wrote:
Another Genesis game you need to get is Battletoads.

I'm not sure if I should get the Genesis or NES version of that game. Maybe I'll end up buying both.

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
Bare Knuckle (I think the name is) the japanese version of Streets of Rage is way more awesome because you get to beat up trannies.

That being said I like SoR3 the most because you get to use that Kangaroo. :p

I know the Japanese Final Fight lets you fight Poison, but I wasn't aware there was any equivalent difference between Streets of Rage and Bare Knuckle. The English version still lets you fight dominatrix girls though, which is awesome
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:27 am

NES version of Battletoads shits all over the Genesis "upgrade."
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:30 am

And I don't think there are any trannies in the Streets of Rage games. I think Blooge is all confused; Final Fight has Poison, who's a woman in Japan, but someone in the US didn't want dudes beating on women, so they changed her to a tranny.

But Streets of Rage 3 got censored all to hell, plus the porters were just lazy 'cos they wouldn't translate all the text in the intro, so they just scrapped the intro altogether. And that game originally had an awesome big gay black boss. Bare Knuckle III is way better, especially since there's a translation ROM patch.

Last edited by Abnormal Freak on Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:02 am

I finally beat Streets of Rage! I played as Blaze on Normal mode. Because of how demanding the game is, I almost one-credited the whole game, due to playing through the rest of the game leading up to the end so much. I only had to continue during the final boss fight. Aside from that, I got through most of the game with little trouble, on this last run through Smile I really ended up liking Streets of Rage a lot. This might be my favorite beat-em-up I've ever played, next to Turtles in Time. I hear that the second game is even better, so I'm excited. Now I'm ready for the sequel!

Yeah, I've heard that Bare Knuckle 3 is better than Streets of Rage 3 for numerous reasons (such as having a fairer difficulty, and less censorship, and other stuff). I'll probably invest in a Genesis Game Genie so that I can play import games that are region-locked.

EDIT: Also, why is NES Battletoads better than the Genesis version? I've heard the NES version is harder, but that's all I know that's different.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:30 am

The NES version looks and sounds amazing and really pushes the limits of the hardware. The Genesis version just looks like a shitty port of an NES game, which is all it really is, and it manages to somehow look and sound worse than the original despite being OMG SIXTEEN BIT.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:58 am

It was all about Battletoads/Double Dragon. Literally, the first video game I ever got (along with Super Mario World and Madden 94). Best Christmas ever

Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:59 am

Not counting the computer games I had like Commander Keen and Wolfenstein and Duke Nuk'em
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:22 am

I've got Battletoads/Double Dragon... I am not a fan. I used to like it when I was younger. Now I just find it frustrating. One of the reasons I'm not too keen on picking up a copy of Battletoads for NES.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:23 am

I'm not confused and I know who poison is. There are a bunch of trannies in Bare Knuckle, they aren't in the american version.
Back to top Go down
GROCERIES

Title : sux

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:17 pm

What game is Poison in? I thought it was Final Fight. She's a tranny, no?

[Edit]Quick wiki search...

Wiki wrote:
Introduced in the original Final Fight, Poison is an orphan who grew up to be a transsexual.

[Edit2]D'oh. Already been discussed.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Maybe I was a bit mixed up but BK3 did have this gay guy in it:

And I'm pretty sure they cut some other enemies out of the US version too, mainly the dominatrix chicks.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:22 pm

Yeah, I plan on getting Bare Knuckle 3, but I'm fine with the original Streets of Rage.
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:32 pm

http://www.4shared.com/file/6FbOyy79/Streets_Of_Rage_Remake_-_SoRR_.html

fan made remake of all the games, was easily available but the makers who first said it was ok backed out and made them take it down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Streets of Rage is fun   Today at 4:54 pm

Back to top Go down

Streets of Rage is fun
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1