The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm

I just had the idea for the thread but have to get ready for work so I can only offer one selection for now, but definitely have plenty more I'll post later.

btw, if I were also doing a thread for "best album title and/or album cover ever" this one would be at the top of the list as well lol.

lol
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5b172JK57g
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 am

Just realized I (mostly) like lots of new-wave/post/proto-punk, '60s-'80s funk and soul, anarcho punk and hardcore (mostly '80s/'90s and particularly if it's Bay Area scene) '90s gangster and/or conscious hip-hop, '80s/'90s indie and alternative, and '70s and '80s heavy metal for kickin it with homies. More dancy stuff like Violent Femmes, Oingo Boingo, The Faint, Talking Heads and etc. are rad too, but those I like more for clubs or bigger house parties where everybody's faded and half the living room is spontaneously turned into a dance floor or some shit lol (which means every other weekend when I was 19 but incredibly rare these days haha). Sometimes it's popular anthems that people like to sing along to, and sometimes it's mostly just good for background, and passive listening. Don't let those that qualify for the latter reason allow you to think they're any sort of lesser album though, because I don't think of them that way, and often they're left to just play in the background uninterrupted because everybody is so intimately familiar with the music that they're just happy to have it play while socializing still being the primary focus of the evening.

Basically, it all comes down to the best music that everybody loves with the most amount of passion, without compromising the lowest common denominator and making people annoyed with the song selection.

Anyway, a continuation of the previous "list":

The first Police album, Outlandos d'Amour. Such a jam. Love the energy on this bitch. Know every lyric and love singing along, and so do lots o' the buds.

Sebadoh's Bakesale. Probably the most focused and rockin (i.e., accessible) of Sebadoh's releases. I always thought Lou Barlow's solo/side stuff was better than J. Mascis's, and this album is the crowning reason.

/

Best fucking punk album ever.

Germs anthology disc. This one's not always doable because of its length, but it's actually a decent attention holder nonetheless.

/ /

First three Outkast albums. Basically they're in ascending order for me, starting at GREAT and escalating to EXCELLENT and finally capping off at ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME with Aquemini.

Extremely underrated and I think wrongfully forgotten album. I actually call it on par with ATLiens, though falling short of the outstanding quality of Aquemini. Unique voices, awesome early years Organized Noize production, and good variety of songs. Not the best party-atmosphere song on the album, but the song here, the closer to the album, is definitely my favorite.

/

First two Brotha Lynch albums. Great beats that would fit in as a more underground version of the G-funk sound, incredible talent and brilliantly ludicrous and obscene lyrics. I love it. Slabs of human meat mother fucker!

Another top-tier hip-hop album for me, and probably one of the greatest debut albums ever (up there with shit like Dinosaur, Black Sabbath, 36 Chambers, etc.). This album's over ten years old now, and I think still ahead of it's time. Like, it had mainstream support (Loud put it out for fux saxe), but it's like it was too good to get radio play outside of the obvious club anthem Hip-Hop (which is probably one of the lesser songs on the album). One of the last rap albums that featured back-up singers that were actually good and fit the music instead of turning a hardcore gangster rap album halfway into a sappy R&B album (something I always faulted 2Pac for). I'm still incredibly in love with this album more than a decade later. Reminds me a bit of Ready to Die (which could actually maybe fit this list, but not as well as most my other entries) for how raw it can be despite harboring it's share of club bangers and largely clean production. Grimy, grimy raps and pure emotion. They don't have the exact same flow from song to song, which I love.

fuck...still got lots more but I'm probably posting all this for I'm guessing nobody lol.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:54 am

I think Stankonia is better than Aquemini Shhh
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:01 pm

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Stankonia's good, but it was the beginning of their rapid decline.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:23 pm

There's no fucking way I'm reading that.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:37 pm

...all right...?
Back to top Go down
Iangorge
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Read it, listened, glad I did. I really dig that Sebadoh shit,
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:40 pm

My mom has that Nielson Shmilsson record

Anyway, Iron Maiden's s/t is always good. Welcome to Sky Valley is one we put on a lot too.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:47 pm

I want to party with your mom.

yeah, first two Maiden records, '70s and '80s Priest, first Van Halen record, '70s and early '80s Scorpions (particularly Blackout), Dio, first six Black Sabbath albums...all favorites of mine that also go over well with most groups as a whole. Other more "pop" stuff that I really like putting on in groups, but am not all that keen on listening to on my own time is stuff like Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, older The Offspring and Green Day (basically up to and ending with Smash and Dookie) and other shit like that.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:10 am

AIC's Unplugged is another favourite.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:21 pm

I agree with your tastes Roughdraft. Actually, I was surprised to see Filth on there. Another album that I've found to be a lot of drunken fun is The Ocean's Precambrian. I've gotten black rap loving friends into that while downing liquor. Also, it may be taboo and not a real album... but a mix cd of The Used's more upbeat and rock songs is always a good time while drinking for me. Hell, early albums by bands like Brand New and Taking Back Sunday are good times for the sing alongs with friends.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Can't get into that stuff, don't really have any friends that are either, so that stuff doesn't show its face haha. Can't hate though, like I said we like some junker stuff too like even garbage like Slightly Stoopid or Sublime once in a while lol.

Also, add all the original Doors albums and most any pre-90s The Cure to the "list".

[edit]: do you get down with their rap-loving-ness as well? What kinda rap do they like? Garbage or good stuff?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records   Today at 9:36 pm

Back to top Go down

Best "Get drunk with the homies and let this record play front to back" records
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1