Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Burning out on heavy...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shrike

PostSubject: Burning out on heavy...   Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:38 am

Anyone else run into the "heavy music doesn't strike me as heavy anymore"-phenomenon? I'm using heavy in the broad sense here, meaning both brutal, raw, riffy, gut-punchingly angry etc.

It's not like I've actively been searching for heavier and heavier music, but I do get a feeling that I'm somehow "peaking". Last time I heard a band that blew me away in terms of sheer sonic onslaught was when someone introduced me to Anaal Nathrakh last fall. Maybe Ancient_Rune's recommendation of The Phantom Carriage was close, but that's pretty much it for 2011.

I mean, essentially, you can't be reaching for an ever higher level of heavy in absurdum, can you? At one point all that's left seems to be pure noise and that just doesn't work for me. At some point the very things that make music heavy, will lead to its breakdown. Once you add more blast-beats, more dissonance, more distortion, all you have is an impenetrable, dead wall of sound. And I technically like "Wall Of Sound" production, but I have a feeling I'm kinda at a plateau in regards to heavy music.

Granted, I still venture outside the genre regularly. Lately with the other extreme of really ambient, shoegazy stuff (mostly due to CnC6's plugs). But also my classic go-to artists like Tom Waits and so on. I'm thinking maybe I need to lay off the heavy for a while. Detox if you will, and return when I've forgotten how heavy shit can get.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
Back to top Go down
GROCERIES

Title : sux

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 am

I think almost everyone here knows what you're talking about.

I'll listen to types of electronic music for weeks sometimes before I come back to the 'heavy' stuff.
Back to top Go down
lotsajoy

Title : InternetSexMonster

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:19 am

Shrike wrote:
Anyone else run into the "heavy music doesn't strike me as heavy anymore"-phenomenon? I'm using heavy in the broad sense here, meaning both brutal, raw, riffy, gut-punchingly angry etc.

It's not like I've actively been searching for heavier and heavier music, but I do get a feeling that I'm somehow "peaking". Last time I heard a band that blew me away in terms of sheer sonic onslaught was when someone introduced me to Anaal Nathrakh last fall. Maybe Ancient_Rune's recommendation of The Phantom Carriage was close, but that's pretty much it for 2011.

I mean, essentially, you can't be reaching for an ever higher level of heavy in absurdum, can you? At one point all that's left seems to be pure noise and that just doesn't work for me. At some point the very things that make music heavy, will lead to its breakdown. Once you add more blast-beats, more dissonance, more distortion, all you have is an impenetrable, dead wall of sound. And I technically like "Wall Of Sound" production, but I have a feeling I'm kinda at a plateau in regards to heavy music.

Granted, I still venture outside the genre regularly. Lately with the other extreme of really ambient, shoegazy stuff (mostly due to CnC6's plugs). But also my classic go-to artists like Tom Waits and so on. I'm thinking maybe I need to lay off the heavy for a while. Detox if you will, and return when I've forgotten how heavy shit can get.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Oh yeah. I remember hearing "Divine Intervention" when I was 12 or something and thinking it was the most evil thing ever recorded. Nowadays (one year later. I'm 11 now, go figure that one out) it just sounds like an utter pile of feces.

Gradually all the "heavy" bands I liked when I was a kid fall out and die from memory because they don't do a fucking thing for me today. You'll catch me listening to more Depeche Mode / Tears For Fears / The Chameleons / Ladytron than you will Cannibal Corpse or Iron Maiden.

Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:46 pm

I got into Maiden fairly late, after being a huge Sabbath freak, so they never really struck me as heavy. More catchy than heavy.

But yeah, Black Sabbath, which I remember once being "too heavy" for me, are now ridiculously tame. I can't believe how I thought Iron Man was super-evil back in the day.

But don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm saying the heavy bands don't do anything for me anymore, I still listen to tons of metal in all shapes and sizes, and I enjoy listening to them. However, I don't necessarily enjoy the fact that they're heavy, in and of itself. It's like that one dimension is nullified.

I'm trying to do a detox now, today's been exclusively Björk and in some kind of weird coincidence I just started listening to Sigur Ros again, which I never really got into, but I'm enjoying it now.

I'll figure I'll try a week at first.

I do kinda have a fear that I'll "wake up" and the last three years of black metal crazyness will turn out to be a phase and I'll lose that spark, which would suck.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:58 pm

I've been this way for several years. Got into electronic music, hip hop, K-pop now. :p
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 pm

The past year or 2 I pretty much exclusively have been listening to stoner/doom/sludge metal. I have almost no interest in death/black/thrash aside from a few select bands.
Back to top Go down
possybending
VIP

Title : Inspecteur

Character sheet
Name: Possy
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:49 am

I go through phases. It helps me stay into the different genre's of metal or even metal in general, since periodically I stop listening completely and fill my ears with just classical and talk shows.

Right now I'm on a stoner-push, but less than 4 weeks ago I was in a "unless it's a dtp record I don't want to listen to anything".
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:43 am

I've never gotten sick of metal. Nope, not me.

But for serialz, every time I've grown tired of metal, it's not because the heaviness is somehow no longer heavy enough, it's because it's too damn heavy and it just doesn't strike my fancy. This is why I'll never grow tired of Black Sabbath because their songs are based on good riffs, licks, and hooks, instead of balls-to-the-wall heaviness—though there's certainly heavy stuff there, some of the heaviest of its day.

I just like me some songwriting, and a lot of times, "chugalugalug" or "weetilydeetilywee" does not constitute as good songwriting. I'm also more into the variety of sound found in good studio recordings, and metal's mostly strict use of guitars and drums is, well, really efking boring. S'why I like Solefald and Sigh and all that sheeit.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:32 pm

I was huge on Solefald and Sigh for a while. Not sure what happened, but I don't really get the urge to listen to them anymore. I had probably listened to Imaginary Sonicscape twice a day for a month or more. I didn't really know the best way to reply to this, but... I feel like I have a fairly different taste in music from some of you guys when it comes to death metal. Combining death metal with other genres = awesome. Death metal/brutal death metal on it's own is just usually shit. I don't mean classic DM. I don't see the appeal of Immolation. I've seen them live, I've heard their albums multiple times. There's not really any memorable, catchy, groovy riffs to be found and I'm not going to give them slack on something like that just because they have one guitarist... Father, you're not a father is a pretty alright song though. A good deal of you guys hate anything technical and dismiss it as wankery even though most tech death doesn't try to be "heavy" or "brutal". Usually it's only technical metal that has any riffs other than chugs into power chords/power chords into chugs. I am digging Portal, Mitochondrion, Incantation, Ulcerate, and a few others though..

but onto being burnt out on heavy stuff. It happens to all of us I'm sure. There was a time when I was listening to a lot of Telefon Tel Aviv due to Abs recommendation. There was a time when I went back and was just listening to Radiohead. I get burnt out on that stuff too though and come back to metal after only a little while. Also when I was still into a good amount of deathcore or just had a less eclectic taste, I heard the new Daughters song at the time and thought it wasn't metal or hardcore at all. Went back to it much later and was almost shocked by how heavy it got at times.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 pm

tuggernuts wrote:
The past year or 2 I pretty much exclusively have been listening to stoner/doom/sludge metal. I have almost no interest in death/black/thrash aside from a few select bands.
Me too, brah. I started getting into Bloody Panda a lot more seriously a few years ago. They introduced me to Dark Castle. And from there... that's pretty much been it for me. Well, except the black metal thing. I actually dig that kind of stuff now, but I'm more likely to pop in a doom or sludge cd.

I remember when I first heard Devourment back when I was in ninth grade. I thought that shit was so heavy. I just thought that was it... and now I listen to them and it's just like 'Eh... death metal.' It's cool to find those awesome things that break new grounds for you, but sadly it doesn't happen all that often.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:37 pm

No

But I think that might be because I obsessively buy so much stuff that I don't ever get burned out on anything. My listening rotation at any moment is a hundred albums plus
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Just thought of another thing; I'm not nearly as discriminating as most people here when it comes to what I listen to. All sorts of core, gay ass power metal, prog, thrash, whatever. Most of it is fair game to me because I can have fun listening to it. So I make it hard to get burned out on any subgenre
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:56 pm

I have a tendency to just focus on one thing, so it's easy to get burned out on it. Sometimes I'll go through a bunch of different genres in one sitting, but most of the time I listen to similar artists. I'm usually feeling a certain type of sound so I stick with it until that feeling is gone.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:04 pm

Yeah, I'm the opposite. Today so far has been Delain => Frank Zappa => Dredg = > Born of Osiris, with Fantomas on deck
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune

Title : Trolling Dick

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Im basically black metal all the time and i hardly ever get tired of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Burning out on heavy...   Today at 6:27 am

Back to top Go down

Burning out on heavy...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1