HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Any Trekfags here?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Any Trekfags here?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:23 am

I finished watching all of TOS a few months ago, and I'm making my way through TNG now. I always watched TNG as a kid, but I never really got what was going on. It's really fun to see all these episodes I remember but get a completely new perspective on them.

So far I'd say that I like TNG more than TOS, despite thinking that TOS has stronger characters. TNG has just aged better and doesn't have all the cheesy 60 cliches that are all over the original.

I've also watched all of the movies, and I agree that in general, I agree with the "only the even Trek movies are good" idea. "The Voyage Home" is by FAR my favorite; it's classic Star Trek in that there is basically no villain. I love that shit.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:59 am

the original series sucks, TNG is where it's at. I tried to watch the whoel series but only got to about season 3 before I quit.

The TNG movies are sweet. Nemesis was kind of shitty, but the first three are awesome, especially First Contact. I've seen all of the TOS movies but don't like them as much. Kahn and Search for Spock are good. The Undiscovered Country is alright too, but other than that I have no use for them.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:44 am

I watched TNG and Deep Space Anal a ton as a kid. That's about the extent of my Trekkieness.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:07 am

Voyager was the only Star Trek series that aired on the terrestrial net when I was a kid, so that's the only one I watched, and I wasn't really impressed. It was scifi, which was good enough for me.

I've been thinking about getting around to watching TNG and Enterprise after realizing that a lot of the talent behind them went on to do Battlestar Galactica, but I have too much other shit to sift through.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:04 pm

The only thing I've ever seen is the Borg movie, back when it was in theaters. I had no idea what was going on.

Now that TNG is on instant I may have to check it out. Based on what I've seen I don't think I could handle TOS
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Shrike wrote:
I've been thinking about getting around to watching TNG and Enterprise after realizing that a lot of the talent behind them went on to do Battlestar Galactica, but I have too much other shit to sift through.

Oh wow, didn't realize that. Finishing up BG season 4 right now
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:15 pm

I made a bit of a mistake though, I meant TNG and Deep Space Nine rather than TNG and Enterprise.

Ron Moore was involved in both, Jane Espenson (also of Buffyverse fame) was in on DSN too.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Enterprise alumn working with BG too, though.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:11 am

Farscape is the best show in the "whiz around the universe in a spaceship" genre, by far—followed by the third and fourth Wing Commander vidjamagames. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:02 am

I'd say Firefly still is the undisputed "whiz around the universes in a spaceship"-champion.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:22 am

Firefly ain't got shit on Farscape. You ever even seen the show? Firefly's good, but Farscape shits all over that sum'bitch.

And it's on Netflix for all you homomomomos who ain't seen it.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:27 am

A show that only had 13 episodes made is no champion of anything.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Firefly is great, but as with every Whedon show, it's incredibly overrated.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Truth be told, I've never actually seen Farscape, so you got me there. Guess I'll have to watch it.

And Whedon's shows aren't overrated on the whole, they just have an incredibly annoying over zealous fanbase.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:42 am

Granted.

I'm watching "The Hunted", a TNG episode. I love how sometimes they don't even try with the aliens. The Angosians are completely identical to humans.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:50 am

Electroretard wrote:
Granted.

I'm watching "The Hunted", a TNG episode. I love how sometimes they don't even try with the aliens. The Angosians are completely identical to humans.

Clearly, because we're the ideal evolutionary peak in any habitable environment.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:06 pm

I've seen most of the original series. I tried to watch every episode, but starting near the end of Season 2 I would watch maybe the first few minutes of an episode, and then skip to the next if it looked like shit. That way I could avoid shit like seeing a giant Abraham Lincoln in space. When it was actually sci-fi it was often good, but they would have too much stupid shit like either having the entire crew overtaken by some motherfucking Mary Sue bullshit character, or have them transported back in time to Earth's past, or somehow find an alien planet that looks like Earth's past, whether it's the 1960s or 1930s or pre-colonial America or any other fucking period like that; particularly in Season 3. I don't want to see that shit in my sci fi. I never even saw Kirk and Uhura kiss each other because it was in some fucking bullshit Ancient Greece-like planet with fucking magic and shit, that I decided to skip past.

Aside from that I've seen a few episodes of The Next Generation, which seemed quite similar to the original series minus the '60s-type stuff (I only saw episodes from the first season though, and it apparently doesn't get really good until season 3), and the first couple episodes of Enterprise, which I thought were alright. I wasn't crazy about it, but at least it seemed more consistent than other Star Trek stuff I've seen.

For the movies, I've seen the original two movies and the JJ Abrams movie. The first Star Trek movie is okay, but a little boring and derivative ("Where Nomad has gone before" indeed), and I really was underwhelmed by The Wrath of Khan. I thought Space Seed, the original episode with Khan, was a piece of shit, so I wasn't interested in seeing a continuation of that in the first place. The movie itself was at least better than that episode, but it was still pretty horrible. The progression of events didn't feel natural at all; the movie would go wildly from one extreme where Kirk and the Enterprise are fucked, to where they somehow miraculously save the day by suddenly knowing what the fuck to do. It felt very formulaic and poorly written to me. The JJ Abrams movie is really pretty awesome, and I like it a lot. It's not the best thing ever or anything, but it's probably my favorite Star Trek thing I've seen, aside from a few select episodes of the original series.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Trekfags here?   Today at 9:46 am

Back to top Go down

Any Trekfags here?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Dark Academy :: General :: Movie and Television-
Jump to: